Scourge of War: Waterloo! announced

Started by steve58, March 24, 2014, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on May 07, 2015, 01:10:27 AM
Is it moddable? I'll do a Meiji restoration mod.  ;D

Somebody had been doing a Napoleonic mod of SOW before the official one had begun.  From what I understand, they couldn't create new formations (like the square) and such but modding the graphics and such was obviously doable. 

I would think that modding SOW:Gettysburg would be closest to the Meiji Restoration period's military doctrine and armaments.   Not so much the earlier Napoleonic stuff.  But who knows... maybe Waterloo will be easier to mod?

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on May 07, 2015, 12:27:04 PM
Quote from: jomni on May 07, 2015, 01:10:27 AM
Is it moddable? I'll do a Meiji restoration mod.  ;D

Somebody had been doing a Napoleonic mod of SOW before the official one had begun.  From what I understand, they couldn't create new formations (like the square) and such but modding the graphics and such was obviously doable. 

I would think that modding SOW:Gettysburg would be closest to the Meiji Restoration period's military doctrine and armaments.   Not so much the earlier Napoleonic stuff.  But who knows... maybe Waterloo will be easier to mod?

Yes ACW has the same time frame and weaponry of Meiji Restoration. But of course I'm sticking to modding pike and shot for now.

Surtur

Hi gents,

The Scourge of War Waterloo Twitch video is finally unmuted and can be viewed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc7Lm3NsaQE
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

fabius

Quote from: Surtur on May 22, 2015, 05:11:06 AM
Hi gents,

The Scourge of War Waterloo Twitch video is finally unmuted and can be viewed here:

only 360p  :2funny:   :idiot2:

But still appreciated  :)  - the inclusion of a Sandbox campaign pretty makes this a first weekend buy for me.

undercovergeek

Quote from: fabius on May 22, 2015, 11:15:04 AM
Hi gents,

But still appreciated  :)  - the inclusion of a Sandbox campaign pretty makes this a first weekend buy for me.

its in 720HD for me

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 22, 2015, 11:19:49 AM
Hi gents,

its in 720HD for me

New YouTube uploads, or changes to them, take awhile before the higher resolution versions are available.  YT does their own formatting for the various sizes but it only initially posts a low-res one until they're all done.

That's been my observation after uploading some.

sandman2575

- the inclusion of a Sandbox campaign pretty makes this a first weekend buy for me.

!!!
this is exciting news (news to me anyway). +1 on insta-buy.

fabius

Quote from: Nefaro on May 22, 2015, 11:27:27 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 22, 2015, 11:19:49 AM
Hi gents,

its in 720HD for me

New YouTube uploads, or changes to them, take awhile before the higher resolution versions are available.  YT does their own formatting for the various sizes but it only initially posts a low-res one until they're all done.

That's been my observation after uploading some.

That explains it. Just checked and now glorious 720HD for me too. Give me an excuse to watch it all again  :)

fabius

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 22, 2015, 11:40:02 AM
  - the inclusion of a Sandbox campaign pretty makes this a first weekend buy for me.

!!!
this is exciting news (news to me anyway). +1 on insta-buy.

Indeed !!  The balance for me is

Sandbox campaign (including MP) combined with Napoleonic's = any effort needed to learn UI and game mechanics.

edited: no make that Sandbox campaign (including MP) combined with Napoleonic's > than any effort needed to learn UI and game mechanics.

Skoop

They barely showed the sandbox campaign, but it was enough for me to declare this a day one purchase.  The fact that there is a map to maneuver on is huge, you can actually do March to the sound of the guns with your corps.  Will be great controlling an army but only fighting in several corps size engagements.

Now if we can just get battlefront to do something like this for combat mission, it would be a game changer.  Hard to get them to stray away from the garanteed money with the cookie cutter module system and take risks with new bold features.

sandman2575

Quote from: Skoop on May 22, 2015, 12:39:57 PM
Now if we can just get battlefront to do something like this for combat mission, it would be a game changer.  Hard to get them to stray away from the garanteed money with the cookie cutter module system and take risks with new bold features.

You read my mind, man. CM with a dynamic campaign (a la Graviteam Tactics, or something like what Norbsoft is now introducing with Waterloo) would essentially be my dream game.

Watching that TwitchTV segment has moved SoW Waterloo from "looking forward to it" to "giddily anticipating and man this can't come out soon enough for my liking" status.

jomni

What are the mechanics of the sandbox campaign?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 22, 2015, 01:05:58 PM
Quote from: Skoop on May 22, 2015, 12:39:57 PM

You read my mind, man. CM with a dynamic campaign (a la Graviteam Tactics, or something like what Norbsoft is now introducing with Waterloo) would essentially be my dream game.

Watching that TwitchTV segment has moved SoW Waterloo from "looking forward to it" to "giddily anticipating and man this can't come out soon enough for my liking" status.

Yep, can't wait...luckily not too far away now.

Skoop

Quote from: jomni on May 22, 2015, 05:50:51 PM
What are the mechanics of the sandbox campaign?

They didn't elaborate at all, so I'm guessing it's really simple.

Which is good, sometimes too much can over complicate and never get off the ground.

From the  vid, it looked like a map of Belgium with towns, I assume each town is linked to a tactical map.  Maneuver elements move on the map and make contact with the enemy, thus setting up a tactical battle.

Surtur

The strategic layer of the campaign does not have the same depth as the tactical battles do, but we wanted to focus on having good core gameplay for it, without all the bells and whistles. Focussing on one thing and doing it right. The main part of the development was still very much on the tactical level. The campaign is there for people who like to give more meaning to their skirmishes and it does that very well. Tactical battles is where Scourge of War still shines though.

I should also note that I used the default sprite ratio during the stream, if you want, you can have a lot more sprites appear there :)
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"