Grog Recommendations

Started by Bison, June 16, 2015, 04:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkershuffle

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 17, 2015, 11:31:31 AM
Anybody still playing TOAW 3? The reason I'm asking is I played  TOAW 1 but none since then. How's number 3? It certainly has a hell-of-a-lot of gameplay and timeline to choose from. Any other problems with this older game other than the old look?

I am, I think it's the best turn-based operational level game out there, especially in pbem. But I haven't played the previous version so I can't compare to them.

panzerde

Anybody still playing TOAW 3? The reason I'm asking is I played  TOAW 1 but none since then. How's number 3? It certainly has a hell-of-a-lot of gameplay and timeline to choose from. Any other problems with this older game other than the old look?

I have it and even have it installed, but it's at least six months since I played it. It's entirely playable and has some good scenarios. I never played it enough to get good at it, but it has always been very stable and reliable. Yes, it does look dated, but the gameplay is good. I find the UI a bit counterintuitive but that mostly a matter of using it enough, I suspect.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bob48

Bison, never mind about all this electronic stuff, get a copy of 'Der Weltkrieg - Eastern Front 1914-1917' Its absolutely bloody brilliant. ;)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

I was going to say that if you're looking for a monster WW1 boardgame to play on the computer, Bison, you should try World War One Gold (or the Centennial version which was semi-illegally released a while back, and which occasionally still goes on sale at Gamersgate ;) ), but it's such a beast to play that you'd really be taking a risk at normal Matrix/Slitherine prices. But it's probably cheaper than To End All Wars.

The cheapest good WW1 strategy game right now is undoubtedly Darkest Hour, from the Steam sale; but it arguably isn't all that groggy since it only simulates the big scale maneuvers (division level and above) and gets into a bunch of nation management issues. Still, it's a full world map.

Or if you want to get into even more detailed economic micromanagement, and start building toward, into, and through WW1 as the end game, you could go with Victoria 2.

Either option necessarily requires that you at least kind-of like the Paradox continuous engine (either in a modified "Europa" form or a heavily modified "Clausewitz" form); so if you don't that would be a deal breaker. Also, by its nature, Vicky2 takes forever to get to WW1 (unless there are any good mods for a near-WW1 start) and by then it will definitely be a weird alternate universe version. DarkestH starts 1 month before kickoff, and even without a bridging mod you can play with tech through most of WW2 if you set the end-date in-game (or do a light text edit to take it into the 70s when the tech stops.) Alternately, the ambitious "AAR" mod expands a lot of the content, adds more plot triggers for both WW1 and WW2, and melds the two campaigns together, with tech going up to 2010!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, for Nappy grogness, I've heard that the Total War: Napolean game worked well (currently on heavy discount at Steam), though you'd have to deal with pausable real-time; or for a more miniatures oriented turn-based game, albeit on random maps, married to an interesting strategic engine, you could pick up Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition from Matrix during the 30% sale.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 18, 2015, 02:12:41 PM
Meanwhile, for Nappy grogness, I've heard that the Total War: Napolean game worked well (currently on heavy discount at Steam), though you'd have to deal with pausable real-time; or for a more miniatures oriented turn-based game, albeit on random maps, married to an interesting strategic engine, you could pick up Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition from Matrix during the 30% sale.

Battle of Waterloo 'recreated' with Napoleon Total War    http://www.wargamer.fr/tv/napoleon-total-war-battle-of-waterloo/

Boggit

Quote from: Bison on June 16, 2015, 09:54:44 PM
I have the Tiller games and they are good, but I don't really do a lot of PBEM these days so therein lies the lack of interest for me to reengage those particular games.  Both Decisive Campaign games are good with a really decent AI, I always do find it fun to invade Poland.

I really do like the Ageod wego system.  I'm pretty sure Matrix is selling ROP gold for $10 this week.  Maybe I should replace my non-gold copy I got at gamers gate.  And you guys really do speak to my concerns about the age engine and how it would address the dynamics of the WW1 fronts.  I'd think that the eastern front would be good to go since the age engine is really good with operational level maneuver.  It's the post 1914 static lines in the west that give me pause.

I should be responsible and go back to the SOW civil war series.  I know there are some battles I haven't fought yet.  Unfortunately I have the urge for a new shiny as my self designated fathers day gift...
Why not just get the ROP Gold expansion from Matrix if you already have ROP vanilla? That's what I did with my GG version, and it just works fine, plus it is cheaper than buying the full gold version.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: panzerde on June 17, 2015, 01:12:45 PM

I have it and even have it installed, but it's at least six months since I played it. It's entirely playable and has some good scenarios. I never played it enough to get good at it, but it has always been very stable and reliable. Yes, it does look dated, but the gameplay is good. I find the UI a bit counterintuitive but that mostly a matter of using it enough, I suspect.
+1 (My answer is almost identical to Panzerde)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

chemkid

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 18, 2015, 02:12:41 PM
Meanwhile, for Nappy grogness, I've heard that the Total War: Napolean game worked well (currently on heavy discount at Steam), though you'd have to deal with pausable real-time; [...]
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/napoleon_totalwar_storefront

for 2dollar/2pound/2euro!!

Cyrano

I say this once and softly, for I've said it angry far too much:

N:TW is rubbish...pure, unadulterated, rubbish.

Selah.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Skoop

Nappy total war would be rubbish if your trying to recreate history.  If your looking for the typical fun gameplay that is fiction set in history, then total war always delivers.  It's definitely the best looking graphics of all the nappy games out there, just more Arcadish at times. 

If you do get it, use the mods for it from twc.  There's darth mod, historical units mods, and a hack editor that lets you force the ability to have 40 unit armies so the tactical battles atleas seem a little grander in scale.

Sir Slash

I played the 40 unit mod for NTW and it was very impressive. With a much tougher AI and much larger tactical deployment areas for armies prior to battle. The problem was with 40 unit fights, and naval battles, the larger forces were almost unmanageable in battle as you had to constantly fly from point to point to control the fight. But it was beautiful to see.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

TacticalWargames

For WW1 for me it's either WW1Gold\ Centennial (Prob my all time favourite Grand Strategy game) followed by Strategic Command Breakthrough. I found End all Wars struggled to recreate trench combat (which is major for a WW1 game) and Commander The Great War to simplified and abstract. Also with Commander the Hex scale is to large for my liking, making the West front just a few hexes long. Best WW1 game of any genre? Easy...Wings Over Flanders Field, infact it's the best single player flight sim experience I've ever had. Steam and iron with the campaign expansion is superb, but you really need the expansion to get the most from it.

panzerde

Quote from: TacticalWargames on June 20, 2015, 03:14:55 PM
For WW1 for me it's either WW1Gold\ Centennial (Prob my all time favourite Grand Strategy game) followed by Strategic Command Breakthrough. I found End all Wars struggled to recreate trench combat (which is major for a WW1 game) and Commander The Great War to simplified and abstract. Also with Commander the Hex scale is to large for my liking, making the West front just a few hexes long.

I'd forgotten about Strategic Command Breakthrough until this thread. It isn't pretty, but it is a damn good WWI game. Grabbed the Russo-Japanese War scenario to give it a try.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Bison

I've been playing SoW Gettysburg and the other expansions.  I think the one feature I've seen in the video aars from nappy I wish could be retroactively put back into SOWGB is the skirmisher feature.