Age of Empires II HD

Started by TheCommandTent, March 08, 2013, 11:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Coming to STEAM in April

QuoteIn Age of Empires II: HD Edition, fans of the original game and new players alike will fall in love with the classic Age of Empires II experience. Explore all the original single player campaigns from both Age of Kings and The Conquerors expansion, choose from 18 civilizations spanning over a thousand years of history, and head online to challenge other Steam players in your quest for world domination throughout the ages. Originally developed by Ensemble Studios and reimagined in high definition by Hidden Path Entertainment, Microsoft Studios is proud to bring Age of Empires II: HD Edition to Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/

So many fond memories of this game.  I might just have to pick this up.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

AoE II was my first modern PC game in 1998. I am thinking of picking it up in HD but then I am thinking is it anything more than a gimmick?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

I dunno Gus, the gameplay of AOEII was really the pinnacle of that era of RTS. I could see this being loads of fun.

That being said, I always preferred Rise of Nations.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

MetalDog

I played AoEIII for a long time.  Never tried II.  If there is RTS MP afoot, I'm in :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

AoE II, for me, was far superior than AoE III. In 1998 I could have played AoE II for hundreds of hours and never got bored. It even ignited an interest in medieval and Renaissance history that I didn't have before. And the petard was one of my favorite units in any game.

But now, 15 years later...is it all over? I mean will I be able to recapture the magic? Does it have anything to offer besides HD? Will the HD be for real?

Color me cynical.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

From the videos it looked like a lot of added eyecandy. The sprite movements appear to use more frames for a smoother look and the color palette looks to be more varied, if not always as 'bright'. Did the original have any MP options at all, even just LAN?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I think there was an LAN option but don't quote me.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Great news.  Graphically it's a huge improvement.  Combined with the fantastic gameplay this will make for an awesome game.  How many times have we all said "if they just remade <game> exactly as before but with better graphics I'd buy it"?  Well, here's your chance!

Interestingly, Hidden Path Entertainment are the people behind the best tower defense game of all time, Defense Grid. :)

Gusington

Fine Huw fine. Now I have to get it too. Jerk.  8)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Gusington on March 09, 2013, 08:56:24 AM

Glad to be of service!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 09, 2013, 12:50:28 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 09, 2013, 08:56:24 AM

Glad to be of service!

Fine work, Huw! You've learned quickly to sucker others in to purchasing games.  ;D

Martok

Hmm. 

I always wanted to play AoE II, but somehow never got around to picking it up. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 09, 2013, 03:27:10 PM
Fine work, Huw! You've learned quickly to sucker others in to purchasing games.  ;D

Oh god, I'm turning into Arctic!  So this is what evil feels like!

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 09, 2013, 04:38:20 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 09, 2013, 03:27:10 PM

Oh god, I'm turning into Arctic!  So this is what evil feels like!

You will get your badge and membership package in the mail. Membership promotions are gained by getting others to buy games and Gus provides the highest amount of points.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Staggerwing

Quote from: son_of_montfort on March 09, 2013, 08:19:48 PM
...Gus provides the highest amount of points.
That can't be much of a challenge... the only thing that keeps Gus from buying a game on sale is not hearing about it in time.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys