Friday is finally here!

Started by MetalDog, May 10, 2013, 06:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smittyohio

I'm going to delve into Neverwinter a bit and see if it grabs me... otherwise, probably some AoW:SM for me also.

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on May 10, 2013, 07:22:48 AM
Once I wrap up my M2TW game, I may get back into Diablo III or Skyrim for a bit, and the finally hit the tutorials for CK II and AJE. Trying to resist preordering Rome TW also. That's a game all unto itself.

Possibly some CKII, but mostly scenarios for CLOD (I hope to have the boardgame The Burning Blue sometime soon -- all the new scholarship -- including research for this game -- makes me want to do shamelessly pro-RAF scenarios since apparently the Luftwaffe never had much of a chance against Group 11 and the defense network and Dowding and Keith Park -- though from another point of view, the 200 Spitfires in Group 11 were out-numbered 4-1 by 109s alone) plus some RO2 and ARMAIII.

Tuna

Will use PARADE code for a day of Premium in WOT..

Maybe some Iron Front at SimHQ tomorrow..

Some Warlock or Civ IV MP if the parties are available..

Arctic Blast

Time to start up a long term OOTP franchise. Hey, maybe I actually mean it this time!   ;D

Kushan

Quote from: Barthheart on May 10, 2013, 08:38:46 AM

How's Steel Wolves?

I had fun the couple of turn's I've actually been able to play. With my current work schedule I haven't been able to dedicate the time need to play more. I actually get the weekend off so I should be able to fix that.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

GJK

Third Reich PC, an oldie that was overlooked but I think a well implemented game.  I've been playing the campaign game this week as the Axis and am in the Summer 1940 turn and in the middle of the France invasion.  The AI has invaded Germany from southern France and also landed in Libya. 

Also working to finish my "cat proof" wargaming table (pictures when it's done).  I'll set up my copy of Third Reich on it as well.  My goal is to totally grok this game.  I'm really enjoying it so far (PC version).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Silent Disapproval Robot

Continuing my campaign in Achtung Panzer:Operation Star.

Iron Front MP tomorrow.

Overtime Sunday.

Nefaro

Quote from: GJK on May 10, 2013, 10:19:47 PM
Third Reich PC, an oldie that was overlooked but I think a well implemented game.  I've been playing the campaign game this week as the Axis and am in the Summer 1940 turn and in the middle of the France invasion.  The AI has invaded Germany from southern France and also landed in Libya. 

Was that DOS or Win3.1?  Didn't it have some bugs?

GJK

Quote from: Nefaro on May 10, 2013, 10:28:19 PM

Was that DOS or Win3.1?  Didn't it have some bugs?

DOS based.  It works perfectly fine using DOSBOX.  Yes, it had some issues so you need the 1.38 patch.  I also have the "3RGOLD" update that was done by an individual that fixes other issues that conflict with the rules.  After applying those, it is a fine and challenging game.  My favorite PC wargame at the moment in fact.  It helped me learn the rules for the boardgame which I plan to teach to my son.  The PC version of the game lets me try out different strategies rather quickly and easily. 

If you played the original Third Reich boardgame, or ever wanted to, this is a fine way to do it. You can find an abandonware copy of the game easy enough. 

One comment on the game play however; Third Reich is very regimented and very "chess" like.  One false move could put an entire army out of supply and in peril.  If you forget to SR or move a fleet during the proper phase, then it's "oh well" and you suffer for it.  The PC game enforces those rules and I think it will make you a much better player.  Some of the original criticism was that the AI was weak.  I'd like to see a newer review that takes into account the patched game because this game kicks my butt every time!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Keunert

i owned Third Reich and it crashed that often it was unplayable on my system
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Toonces

Quote from: MengJiao on May 10, 2013, 11:46:15 AM
(I hope to have the boardgame The Burning Blue sometime soon -- all the new scholarship -- including research for this game -- makes me want to do shamelessly pro-RAF scenarios since apparently the Luftwaffe never had much of a chance against Group 11 and the defense network and Dowding and Keith Park -- though from another point of view, the 200 Spitfires in Group 11 were out-numbered 4-1 by 109s alone) .

From what I've noticed of your gaming habits, you are going to LOVE The Burning Blue.  Great boardgame, lots of meat, and lots of historical research.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Greybriar

Third Reich PC, an oldie that was overlooked but I think a well implemented game.  I've been playing the campaign game this week as the Axis and am in the Summer 1940 turn and in the middle of the France invasion.  The AI has invaded Germany from southern France and also landed in Libya....

I have a boxed copy of Third Reich that I've never played. Is it worth the effort? Or is there a newer PC game that is better?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

GJK

Quote from: Toonces on May 11, 2013, 12:06:48 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 10, 2013, 11:46:15 AM
(I hope to have the boardgame The Burning Blue sometime soon -- all the new scholarship -- including research for this game -- makes me want to do shamelessly pro-RAF scenarios since apparently the Luftwaffe never had much of a chance against Group 11 and the defense network and Dowding and Keith Park -- though from another point of view, the 200 Spitfires in Group 11 were out-numbered 4-1 by 109s alone) .

From what I've noticed of your gaming habits, you are going to LOVE The Burning Blue.  Great boardgame, lots of meat, and lots of historical research.

I've been looking at The Burning Blue really hard...my FLGS has a copy on clearance and I almost picked it up last week.  I think that I will have to grab it next time if it's still there.  How is the complexity level?  Hard to learn or not so bad?
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Quote from: Greybriar on May 11, 2013, 02:15:27 AM
Third Reich PC, an oldie that was overlooked but I think a well implemented game.  I've been playing the campaign game this week as the Axis and am in the Summer 1940 turn and in the middle of the France invasion.  The AI has invaded Germany from southern France and also landed in Libya....

I have a boxed copy of Third Reich that I've never played. Is it worth the effort? Or is there a newer PC game that is better?

You really have to learn the rules of the boardgame or you will just get frustrated but if you invest the time to learn the system it is one hell of a good game; IF you like structured games to where each move is an important one.  It's not just a "move up your lines and attack with your strongest guys" type of game.  Each move must be very calculated and precise.  Most enjoyable.  Use DOSBOX to play it and it's quite stable.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 10, 2013, 09:06:36 AM
Age of Wonders-Shadow Magic has taken my brain hostage & won't let it go. The Elves and the Dwarfs have united and are fighting giant bugs in the Spirit World. How could anybody resist that?

That's it.  I'm playing this game today. :D