Why don't we see kickstarters for computer war games?

Started by SgtRock, May 10, 2013, 01:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

Quote from: carnator on May 10, 2013, 02:24:40 PM
Probably.  But, I don't know why you guys are so against playing an online multiplayer game.  I mean, you play table top war games and board games right...do they have single player???

Actually, I don't. None of my friends are boardgamers or wargamers.  But the big issue for me is time.  Two jobs, a wife, and two dogs mean I get gaming time in bite-sized portions - rarely do I have more than an hour at a time for gaming.  So I'm unable to make a commitment in terms of time and schedule to on-line gaming.  The closest I come is PBEM, for obvious reaosns.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: tgb on May 10, 2013, 06:54:55 PM
Probably.  But, I don't know why you guys are so against playing an online multiplayer game.  I mean, you play table top war games and board games right...do they have single player???

Actually, I don't. None of my friends are boardgamers or wargamers.  But the big issue for me is time.  Two jobs, a wife, and two dogs mean I get gaming time in bite-sized portions - rarely do I have more than an hour at a time for gaming.  So I'm unable to make a commitment in terms of time and schedule to on-line gaming.  The closest I come is PBEM, for obvious reaosns.

I am in the same boat.  Not enough time, nor does my schedule allow me to coordinate with other players.  I much prefer single player games and rarely, if ever, play multiplayer games.  Therefore, this game is not something I am interested in, but I do wish the developer luck.

panzerde

+1

It's been at least 15 years since I played a board game, and while I did do a ton of board gaming when I was in HS and college, even most of that was solitaire.  It can be difficult to find people interested in this hobby.  What gaming time I do have is often a refuge for me to get away from other people.  MP obviously doesn't allow that.

I think it's great that you've developed a game, even if part of the approach of that game might not be to my taste.  I hope its very successful.  I also hope your marketing for it is more than hanging out here and pitching it to curmudgeons like me.  ;)
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mikeck

Quote from: panzerde on May 10, 2013, 07:42:19 PM

+1

It's been at least 15 years since I played a board game, and while I did do a ton of board gaming when I was in HS and college, even most of that was solitaire.  It can be difficult to find people interested in this hobby.  What gaming time I do have is often a refuge for me to get away from other people.  MP obviously doesn't allow that.

I think it's great that you've developed a game, even if part of the approach of that game might not be to my taste.  I hope its very successful.  I also hope your marketing for it is more than hanging out here and pitching it to curmudgeons like me.  ;)

And another +1.

It's not that we don't like your game, it's just that there are a ton of us who simply don't play multiplayer. I simply don't have time to sit down and game for an hour straight. I get interrupted by kids, wife, and real life. I play single player because I can pause, put my kids to bed, pick it back up, them pause again when's wife yells at me to take the garbage out.

Also, I socialize with people at work. For me, gaming time is my quiet time and I don't want to have to interact with people.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

LongBlade

I will say this. It only took a few minutes for me to get clobbered in a game.

The matching service worked, but waiting was pretty opaque. I sat there for maybe 30 seconds before I got a match, but I got one. It was with the one of the devs, so they're watching and eager for folks to jump in. They were also helpful in getting into a chat and walking me through the game.

I'm still working my way through thoughts on the game, but the majority of my criticism is probably going to center on how it's not super-easy to get into the game. The game itself is fun, though the units don't much resemble conventional stereotypes. That's great because no one can accuse them of stealing another's IP, but it does mean that it takes a while to figure out what some of the units do. Others, like mobile artillery with indirect fire, were pretty obvious (and cool). The graphic effects and sounds are good. The art style isn't my favorite but it grew on me.

Bottom line: I liked the test drives I took and I'm interested in learning more. I'd encourage you guys to try it - especially those of you with limited time. Most of us are accustomed to getting the feel of a game through single-player games before we jump into the shark tank of multiplayer. That option doesn't exist here, but I would still encourage you guys to try the free demo. At least then you'll know what it's about. But watch the YouTube tutorials first.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

jomni

Board wargames are in kickstarter (DVG).  But the funding scale is so small and it is surely to be successful like the usuall P500 scheme.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: panzerde on May 10, 2013, 07:42:19 PM

+1

That's my take as well.  I played miniatures and board games back in high school and college but I haven't touched a chit in 15 years.  Real life gets in the way of the hobby and, to be frank, the idea of spending a few hours to drive somewhere, set up a map and counters, and play until 3am holds very little appeal these days, even if I knew someone who was still willing to play (which I don't).

I prefer single player because it means I can pick up and put down a game on my terms.  Play when I want for how long I want and reload/rage quit without repercussion.  MP too often feels like a chore.

Best of luck with your title.  I respect the amount of effort you put into it but MP only is not my thing nor is the Sci-Fi setting.

SgtRock

Quote from: carnator on May 10, 2013, 02:01:33 PM
i just made a computer war game and no one seems to want to play it.  maybe that has something to do with it...

Kickstarter might have worked  for you, it would have giving you an idea of how many gamers had an interest & (willing to invest, buy the game) before full development.

jomni

@carnator. You posted in the wrong forums.  A lot of people here prefer historical or real-world stuff.

LongBlade

Quote from: jomni on May 13, 2013, 01:39:27 AM
@carnator. You posted in the wrong forums.  A lot of people here prefer historical or real-world stuff.

Yes, but we're gamers. Lots of folks here who play historical games but also scifi and fantasy, too.

bayonetbrant

hell - 80% of what I actually play is ahistorical or near-future.  Only about 20% of what I play is based in actual history and I enjoy good tactical challenges that aren't necessarily historical battles.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Ubercat

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 11, 2013, 12:02:54 AM
It's been at least 15 years since I played a board game, and while I did do a ton of board gaming when I was in HS and college, even most of that
That's my take as well.  I played miniatures and board games back in high school and college but I haven't touched a chit in 15 years.  Real life gets in the way of the hobby and, to be frank, the idea of spending a few hours to drive somewhere, set up a map and counters, and play until 3am holds very little appeal these days, even if I knew someone who was still willing to play (which I don't).

Cough!http://www.vassalengine.org/Cough!
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bbmike

Quote from: Ubercat on May 13, 2013, 12:14:35 PM

I've really got to stop reading these forums. I didn't need to know that existed.   ;D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

LongBlade

Quote from: bbmike on May 13, 2013, 02:41:18 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on May 13, 2013, 12:14:35 PM

I've really got to stop reading these forums. I didn't need to know that existed.   ;D

Actually, there are two. Vassal, and Aide-de-camp. I've not used either one (though periodically I get plenty of peer pressure to do so) but I have heard good things about both.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm very anti-hex these days.  It was an elegant system in the days of board games where one needed to be able to quickly and easily quantify range and movement but with all the computing power available now, it feels like a very artificial and constrained system.  I tend to steer clear of computerized chit and hex PC games nowadays.  Why bother with all that abstraction when the PC is perfectly capable of rendering a game world with realistic topography and units?