Why don't we see kickstarters for computer war games?

Started by SgtRock, May 10, 2013, 01:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

...because hexes have electrolytes! It's what plants need
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

LongBlade

Quote from: mikeck on May 13, 2013, 05:03:37 PM
...because hexes have electrolytes! It's what plants need

Ha! Aren't carbon molecules hexes?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Silent Disapproval Robot

jomni

Quote from: LongBlade on May 13, 2013, 02:48:50 PM
Actually, there are two. Vassal, and Aide-de-camp. I've not used either one (though periodically I get plenty of peer pressure to do so) but I have heard good things about both.

Don't forget http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/

carnator

Quote from: tgb on May 10, 2013, 06:54:55 PM
Quote from: carnator on May 10, 2013, 02:24:40 PM
Probably.  But, I don't know why you guys are so against playing an online multiplayer game.  I mean, you play table top war games and board games right...do they have single player???

Actually, I don't. None of my friends are boardgamers or wargamers.  But the big issue for me is time.  Two jobs, a wife, and two dogs mean I get gaming time in bite-sized portions - rarely do I have more than an hour at a time for gaming.  So I'm unable to make a commitment in terms of time and schedule to on-line gaming.  The closest I come is PBEM, for obvious reaosns.

Okay understood, you have a life outside of gaming :) Well, if you do get some free time someday, please consider giving the game a whirl, just mesage me (carnator) on the chat client.  There is a chess style timer so the longest a match can possibly go is 2 hours.  A match typically lasts 1.5 hours. I played a match the other day that took 42 minutes, and that was with my opponent and I both doing live commentary (which slowed us down), the match probably would have taken 30 minutes if we were going full speed.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_sW2t87l1M

Cyrano

One thing that boardgame Kickstarters can offer that PC games cannot are those cool extras.  If Up Front ever happens -- and I believe (what choice do I have?) -- I will be up to my neck in cards.  Most PC games can, on a good day, offer extra DLC (which just angers me) or T-shirts.

And all y'all looking for new engines, better graphics, revamped UIs, &c., please assure me you're not holding your breath...I need good opponents for when I do get to retire.  I consider BFC something of a modern day miracle and hug it, HPS, Norbsoft, and a few others very tightly lest someone tell me they, too, have moved to the mobile environment.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806