Action! PC Golf - A little change of pace

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 11, 2013, 06:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

I'm a huge golf fan and don't care for the newer fast-twitch cartoon looking golf games.  Heck, I still play Links 98 as my only golf game and that's only because I can't get Tiger Woods 1999 to run on my computer.   So I'm looking at this golf game and I like the concept but I'm concerned about replayability.  Sure, no two golf matches would be the same but I just don't see many options in this aside from picking the club and where you want to aim the shot and maybe two or three shot options (fade or draw, low or high shot perhaps).  Have you found the novelty of the game wear off yet?  If it was 20 bucks or less I'd get it and find out for myself but at $34 I'd hate to find that I get bored with it after a few rounds.  Thoughts?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Grim.Reaper

No, the novelty has not worn off and quite the opposite.  I am playing this game more than any other at the moment.  Golf is about strategy and this game captures it well in my opinion.  The options you have are very similar to what you would do in golf.  You have to read the course conditions (lie, terrain, elevation, wind, weather, slope, firmness, green speed, etc.) in order to setup a quality shot.  You have to select the right club for the right situation, determine how much shot power you want to apply, do you want to fade/draw, do you want to spin the ball, do you want a high, normal, or punch shot, etc.  In the short game, you have to determine do you want to chip, flop, pitch, or lob the shot, etc.  And you have to determine the appropriate aiming strategy.  There is a lot to consider in taking your golf shot, to me very similar to what you do in real life, can't think of much else you could add.

As you mention, there are now two rounds a like.  You have 25 courses (if you buy them all) and 4 seasons (if you buy them all) which provides countless options.  Your able to play a full season of tournaments which range from tour events, majors, and play-offs.

I actually think $34 for the base game is a steal and the best money I have spent in a very long time...

And don't need to take my word for it...unlike any other game company, this company offers a full 30-day money back offer if you don't like any of their games.  Without any questions asked, you can return it within the first 30 days...therefore zero risk to you and better than any demo could ever be.

GJK

Couldn't of given a better sales pitch if you worked for the company yourself - I'll order the base game tonight and see how I like it.  I wonder how the baseball game is compared to say Strat-o-Matic?  I don't care for Baseball Mogul or that other popular one.  I don't care about my minor league teams and drafts and salaries.  I just want to sim a baseball game or maybe 162 games for the season.  Have you tried it?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Grim.Reaper

Yes, I own all their games which include football, baseball, hockey, and basketball.  Love them all.  I have tried strat hockey and football and in my opiinion apc blows them away.  Never played strat baseball so can't compare them but I think it is very good.  Just remember these are season repay games not career.

I don't work for the company but I am a tester for all their games:)

Nefaro

Picked up Franchise Hockey Manager Beta but boy does that have a bit to go.  The interface still needs a lot of tweaking - many of the OOTP UI features aren't in (yet?).  Think I'll let it simmer another couple months.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on May 15, 2013, 08:03:56 PM
Picked up Franchise Hockey Manager Beta but boy does that have a bit to go.  The interface still needs a lot of tweaking - many of the OOTP UI features aren't in (yet?).  Think I'll let it simmer another couple months.

What amazed me about that, originally they were supposed to fully release the game in Feb/Mar, but did not end up delaying the game until sometime around there.  They must have known a long time before that the game would never be ready for release, but they waited until the last moment.  I do agree with your comments, I haven't put much time into it since it is rough, but no regrets in buying it since I think in the end it will be acceptable.  Time will tell.

GibbyG

Based on this thread I went ahead and bought the game.  I've only messed around a little, but so far so good.

Just wanted to post a link that may be helpful.  The site linked below has a section that has pictures for each of the 25 courses currently in the game that can be downloaded for a little extra touch.  More importantly (at least to me) is that is lists the course name as it is in the game and the real course name so they can be edited in game.

http://www.sportsreplays.net/downloads.htm

Grim.Reaper

Also 1953 and all time greats season files there, plus golfers pictures at that site.

If you have any questions on the game, let me know.  So far, this is the game of the year for me.