Main Menu

X3 Opinions

Started by Bison, May 16, 2013, 01:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I almost bought the Steam sale, because I have always respected the X series (but have never bought one).

Is there any point at all playing earlier games in the series?--aside from the story plots? (And are those any good?) Or would it be better to just play the latest game?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

The story is borked anyway so you can ignore that for the most part I would say. That leaves gameplay; and that only got better with each new game so far. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 20, 2013, 10:58:09 PM
The story is borked anyway so you can ignore that for the most part I would say. That leaves gameplay; and that only got better with each new game so far. :)

Agreed.  The story is awful; always has been and apparently always will be.  You may as well just jump straight into Albion Prelude, Jason.

Huw the Poo

I've hit the same problem Bison did; doing the tutorial with the humble merchant start, you can't progress because you have no weapons on either your Mercury or your Discoverer.  What a stupid bug.  I also have no idea how to trigger the "story".  I may just take the cheesy route and pick up abandoned ships for cash, or scrounge for unspent missiles in conflict zones.

It's running nicely on Linux! :D

Yskonyn

That is weird; I've always started with the Humble Merchant option and my Discoverer always had some blasters...

Haven't played in a good while though. Perhaps they changed this in one of the patches, but why on earth would they rip off the weapons of a scout ship?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Bison

I need to get back to this one this weekend.

son_of_montfort

Well, I "cheated" a little. I played TC and found a ship (listed on abandoned ships list) that was worth 3 million credits. It helped me to jumpstart my empire as the Humble Merchant, so I bought another freighter and outfitted my other freighter with a variety of different upgrades. I placed a farm in the wrong sector, but it occasionally makes some money. My major triumph was getting the Teladi up in rep enough to purchase a Kestrel, the fastest ship in the galaxy. Now I tool around at 600 speed while I send remote orders to my two freighters.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

JasonPratt

Actually, Albion Prelude requires X3TC. But I'll keep the advice in mind. (I'm too late for this sale.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

son_of_montfort

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 22, 2013, 12:33:02 PM
Actually, Albion Prelude requires X3TC. But I'll keep the advice in mind. (I'm too late for this sale.)

Note: Albion Prelude removes the static locations of abandoned ships and makes them random. That means you can't look them up for a quick start. Just FYI.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Huw the Poo

Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 22, 2013, 12:45:34 PM
Note: Albion Prelude removes the static locations of abandoned ships and makes them random. That means you can't look them up for a quick start. Just FYI.

Balls!  I may need to play TC instead then.  Starting up as a trader takes waaaaaaay too long.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 22, 2013, 01:05:57 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 22, 2013, 12:45:34 PM

Balls!  I may need to play TC instead then.  Starting up as a trader takes waaaaaaay too long.

Albion Prelude included a stock exchange which many people have said is basically a money exploit. But it also is dreadfully boring.

I went back to TC to get the abandoned starter ships and because fewer sectors are at war.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Huw the Poo

Yeah, sounds like a plan.  It's weird, I played X2 and X-Tension as a trader and had my first stations in no time, but in X3 it seemed to be taking forever.  I've done my time; I'm happy enough to cheese it in TC. :)