Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

So......I'm thinking all of you who own this give it a  O0 up?

I know little about Battletech lore (but have read up on it a bit) and this is my first giant robot shoot em' up game. I have a couple buddies who bought it and they've warned me about the slooooooooooow combat and have given me a few pointers/tips.

Gusington

Well...what are the tips??

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

Shoot first and shoot often!  :P

jamus34

What is the Grog consensus on this? Buy? Wait? Pass?
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

My buddies told me that this game is not for the "twitch gamer". That alone is very appealing. My reaction time sucks. They aren't too far into the game, but they both commented that you have to be aggressive. Holding back and letting the enemy come to you isn't a wise strategy, at least early on in the game.

Be mindful of salvaging, but nothing more insightful than that (I didn't ask then to expand on that comment).

Yskonyn

Its not full Battletech. Too much is missing.
However, if you're looking for a slower paced Mech Commander where the focus is on Mechs and not all vehicle types in the BT universe and you are up for the slower paced turn based combat, you'll get a good game with a fun Merc management layer (although admittedly not too deep).
To me its a 'light' BT game, but its definately fun and you do get the core concepts of the BT Merc experience.
And its the first time any BT game features animated melee combat! :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Cyrano

I'm in and pleased.

And I think the DLC will only add.

I was no chicken-walker grog to be sure, but TTG Battletech has been ended for me.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

DennisS

Quote from: acctingman on April 27, 2018, 10:15:46 AM
My buddies told me that this game is not for the "twitch gamer". That alone is very appealing. My reaction time sucks. They aren't too far into the game, but they both commented that you have to be aggressive. Holding back and letting the enemy come to you isn't a wise strategy, at least early on in the game.

Be mindful of salvaging, but nothing more insightful than that (I didn't ask then to expand on that comment).

If you rush forward with your fast, light mech, he will die early, and fast. Scouts and skirmishers HAVE to remain connected to the main force.

A thoughtful, integrated attack, using terrain, and knowledge of weapon systems' range and capabilities will serve you much better.

There is tremendous opportunity for the grognard to show off their tactical expertise.

There are times when being aggressive is appropriate, there are times when turtling is appropriate, and there are times when BOTH are appropriate, in the same battle.

If you hold back, on high ground, with a kill zone in front of you, the enemy may well feed their mechs into your zone one at a time. I would rather they came into MY kill zone than the other way around.

Other matches may not have the physical terrain you need to set up an ambush, due to the conditions of the battle or other parameters.

This is a deep strategy game. No one strategy works.

acctingman

Thanks DennisS....good to know this. Sounds like I'd like this game!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806