Who would win and why??

Started by W8taminute, June 30, 2023, 02:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 03, 2023, 08:04:33 AMOkay, on scale alone the Impy battleship wins. (Jeez, those guns are as big as Godzilla.) Not sure versus the Executor or other super-class Imperial frames, but then again the better 'Force' access and applications plus VASTLY much better Space Marines boarding options, would necessarily tip the balance in favor of the -erium over the -erials.

'Destroyer' vs Destroyer looks like a better fight.

Having said that, I might give some edge to the Space Battleship Andromeda with two wave motion guns (or the equivalents if that's Macross instead.)

That's not even a big Imperial Battleship.  Retribution class so it's a baby.  If it were facing something like an ISD it wouldn't even waste the ammo, it'd just use its ramming prow to brush it aside. 

Imperial Apocalypse Class Battleships could just use their own version of the wave motion gun, the Nova Cannon if it didn't want to get the prow dirty. 

Not even going to bother with what the Gloriana Class would do to it.

Don't forget that Imperial Navy ships almost never have Astartes contingents aboard.  An Astartes Strike Cruiser with its teleporters would make short work of any SW Imperial Navy ship.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Ok not really a who would win and why but consider this...

Why is a Slaanesh Chaos Cultist usually regarding as pure evil and therefor hated by all but a Sith Lord can be presented as a 'good guy' with misdirected anger?  I mean is it not easier to emphasize with a Sith Lord vs. a Chaos Daemon?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

I haven't read NEARLY enough of the SW lore to understand the motives of Sith Lords (much less other Dark Side users), but Chaos cultists are trying to bring about the dissolution of all reality into the contradictive insanity of "chaos undivided", a never-ending hellish nightmare, within which they may or may not have some power over other people. That sets an awfully low bar for other evildoers to clear!

Also, Siths can look "usefully" hot; not so much Chaos Lords-and/or-Ladies-and/or-Others.  :rolleyes: Shallow, indeed, but Siths can be easier to forgive or tolerate or even want to redeem. Barely anyone wants to pity and reach out to save Chaos cultists.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

I'm not well read on either lores, but the specification of Slaanesh cultists makes this an interesting question for me since I'm familiar enough with them to know they're all about earthly pleasure and hedonism.  That does make me wonder, for those in the know, how this coalesces with the Chaos Daemons goal for dissolution of all reality.

Does part of "chaos undivided" involve a giant orgy?  Because if so, W8 might be onto something that they're not all that bad after all.   :grin:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

The Eldar could talk to you about that: they're the ones who created Slaanesh as part of a massive sex-and-violence orgy, specifically intending to create a god who would serve those purposes for them forever, but the actual result was a giant black-hole-ish rip in reality called the Eye of Terror and Slaanesh laying claim to every Eldar soul afterward even the ones who weren't part of the orgy plan. Those spirits do not have a good time afterward. On the contrary, the most important reason the Dark Eldar go so hard into destructive and even self-destructive hedonism, is that they're hoping to thus convince Slaanesh to claim them LAST! Not exactly the best selling point for signing up with Slaanesh.

In-universe the four Chaos Gods and their subsidiaries do have some selling points for desperate people looking for short-term fixes, or for prideful people figuring they can ride the alligator rather than be eaten by it -- or ideally they just overwhelm people and populations without giving them anything in return. (Part of the point to identifying psychers asap in the Imperium, aside from feeding them to the Emperor to keep him alive, is that demons can use them to erupt into mundane reality even without permission, so they're like walking nuclear weapons with quasi-random detonation timers.)

I gathered that W8's question was why fans, who know the overarching situation in the lore, tend to regard even Slaanesh Cultists as absolutely evil, but not necessarily Sith Lords (not even counting other Dark Side users).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

W8taminute

Yes great catch guys.  I choose Slaanish because while they have a plan that sounds appealing they're still wretchedly more evil than any Sith Lord could dream of. 

When you tear holes in the fabric of the space time continuum which allows daemons to pour through this dimension that's bad news no matter how sexy the aliens are.

At least Sith Lords are content to limit their evil to causing the extinction of the Jedi.  (Which is still evil but only one calorie diet doctor evil compared to Chaos).
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

W8taminute

JasonPratt

"Do me a favor: the Mortality Index. Look up the Doctor."
"You have an entry, just like any other sentient being -- "

"Under cause of death."

GDS_Starfury

which one said that?  Im reading it in Capaldi's voice.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

You are full of correctness! Excelsius or some episode title like that. He's saving Missy's life.

W8taminute

Q: In the Star Wars universe, what is a stormtroopers favorite store to shop at?

A: The one next to Target

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

The doors in that store are a little short for a stormtrooper, admittedly.  :evil: