Sniper Elite 4!

Started by Grim.Reaper, March 07, 2016, 07:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 10, 2016, 06:00:35 AM
and you wonder why easy level Attilla owns you  >:D

Attila is now cheap. Should I get it?

Grim.Reaper

Looks like release date is Feb. 14, 2017.....a little disappointed not this year, but I guess plenty of other things...

Grim.Reaper

Looks like pre orders now available...seems like the xray cam continues to get crazier (in a good way for myself)......although I am sure I'll purchase, not likely a pre order unless I find cheap.....seems like they are getting further away from stealth/sniper by introducing more close combat stuff.....rather play cat and mouse versus run and gun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312660/

Richie61

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Grim.Reaper

Only a month a way until release.....keep losing sight of this one.  Never went back and finished v3, just something about it didn't draw me in like v2, the first FPS that I have ever fully completed.  Just wished they would have stuck with pure sniper tactics versus adding all the close combat stuff into the game...love that aspect much more.  Likely little doubt I will pick up at some point since I'll still get some good time with it.

trek

I agree. SE3 got too much away from the sniper aspect and the North African setting didn't work as well as urban warfare in SE2. I also like the set pieces of the missions in SE 2 much better as well. I uninstalled SE 3 after playing only about two missions.

Grim.Reaper

Saw some quick points on it....may not be able to resist:)

Map Size/Depth Is Considerable. We're talking absolutely massive sandboxes with paths left, right, high and low. You can spend easily a half an hour in total just planning your attack on each area, and a good stealthy playthrough of an entire level could easily last more than an hour on your first try, depending on how many optional objectives you do.

It has stellar custom difficulty options. I've made no secret of my love affair with custom difficulty, and that's part of the reason why I like a game like 2014's Thief, because it let me play the game my by making it more difficult. Sniper Elite 4 also boasts this ability, and, while not quite as prolific, still let's me add some more stipulations that otherwise wouldn't be there, such as making me discard unused ammo in a magazine upon reload.

Stealth mechanics aren't just thrown-in. I was definitely worried, especially when watching some other gameplay footage and trailers, that stealth would sort of be an afterthought, while huge, explosive confrontations would take center stage. That simply isn't the case with Sniper Elite 4, certainly not on harder difficulties, at least. Stealth seems to be the premiere mechanic or playstyle in the game, but you definitely have other options.

Side missions galore. Not only are there larger environments, but those environments are expertly populated with engagement opportunities. You have your side missions your tasked with at the start, but you can also come across more side missions through exploration, rewarding you for your troubles.

Tried and true progression system. We've seen this before: every five levels, you get to pick one of two skills. Killing Floor 2 did it. Battleborn does a variation of it. Honestly, though, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This also helps give you a better reason to pursue challenges (get 100 headshots, e.g.) because it vastly contributes to your level, getting you closer to the next benefit.

Co-op is going to be great. If you play through a level on single player and have a heck of a time, imagine how awesome it would be teaming up. You'll get to feel like Seal Team Six in 1943 Italy. Execute simultaneous headshot to take down multiple people, or divide and conquer, halving the time it takes you to complete a level. The possibilities are endless.

Gusington

Is the player fighting against the Italians or the Germans...or both?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on February 10, 2017, 08:54:08 PM
Is the player fighting against the Italians or the Germans...or both?

Germans. Would be too easy otherwise.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^Oh snap.

I was hoping for Italians.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

weakness strikes again....bought and now pre loading:)

Gusington

Go get those Italo-Germans!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

I hope the first patch does not remove all the Germans:)

Gusington

Or the Italians. If there are any. Which I hope there are. If you can confirm there are missions against Italian forces I'll buy right now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on February 11, 2017, 02:45:29 PM
Or the Italians. If there are any. Which I hope there are. If you can confirm there are missions against Italian forces I'll buy right now.

What the heck do you have against Italians?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18