Campaign Series Vietnam

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 15, 2021, 05:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Just finished my next article talking about CS: Vietnam scenario content (redirects to CSLegion.com):

There will be 25 scenarios covering this era between the French and US involvement, starting with these:

Just for something different, it is not all about the figting in the jungle. Here's the starting situation for not the Viet Cong but Binh Xuyen's private militia player in the Battle of Saigon, 1955.

Viet Cong? We'll get there  :knuppel2:

Any questions, comments, what not, let us hear about them!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Jarhead0331

Although I find the early years of the Vietnam Conflict intriguing, I am personally much more interested in gaming the later half of the war from 1968 through 1972. I don't want to take any of the spotlight off of this title, which is certainly a must have, but can you shed some light on when we will see content starting with the Tet Offensive? I presume that this will be just a matter of designing the scenarios and building the OOBs, since the game system and UI work will already be completed? In short...how long do you think the wait will be?

Thanks!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Crossroads

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 05, 2021, 11:02:47 AM
Although I find the early years of the Vietnam Conflict intriguing, I am personally much more interested in gaming the later half of the war from 1968 through 1972. I don't want to take any of the spotlight off of this title, which is certainly a must have, but can you shed some light on when we will see content starting with the Tet Offensive? I presume that this will be just a matter of designing the scenarios and building the OOBs, since the game system and UI work will already be completed? In short...how long do you think the wait will be?

Thanks!
There's some 30 scenarios completed already for that time period for the CSEE Lua scripting to be done next, implementing the computer player's battle plans. I am not sure I've seen a target for how many scenarios exactly there should be for the release, but I reckon a good few more.

Then there's the plan for having CS Middle East 3.0 UPDATE out next, meaning those scenarios would be brought up to speed in having CSEE scripted to them as well, I'd take a wild guess by saying that we'd need at least a year and a half more?

Perhaps not the answer you were looking for, but we are a small team working on our free time on this...

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Jason Petho

24 days to final hand off and 39 days until release for CS Vietnam 1948-1967!
Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985 : v3.00 coming 2024

Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967 : v1.30 released April 26, 2023

Campaign Series Cold War 1948-1985 : v1.00 coming 202?

devoncop

:smitten:

Stunning map detail. I love the specific named urban structures on this one. Makes for much more immersion and something a lot of other games could learn from.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

^was just looking at those names myself!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jason Petho

If you like labels, here's Saigon!

This is from the master Warzone C and D map that includes most of III Corps area (note the jump map). This master map is included in the installation to create your own scenarios.

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 08, 2021, 01:50:17 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on September 25, 2021, 04:16:17 AM
To have a countdown towards Campaign Series: Vietnam 1948-1967 of a sorts, we're launching a series of Developer Diaries at our CSLegion.com site.

Here's the first one: Campaign Series Event Engine in Vietnam 1.0 - Triggering Events

Also, I've updated the FAQ section there, have a look.

There's a Weekly Digest email campaign put in place as well, do sign up if interested. Sign-up form is available at our site, or with direct access, here.

And here's the next blog talking about CS Event Engine and the Lua APIs that come with it: Accessing Adaptive AI. (redirects to CSLegion.com)

In the blog, I try to describe how Adaptive AI, first time available with CS: Middle East 2.0, has been revamped and revised for CS: Vietnam 1.0. I guess in other words, how Adaptive AI 1.0 has evolved to Adaptive AI 2.0.

I don't know many games that provides the scenario designers and modders with pretty much full access to game CRT and other percentage rolls. Not for total control perhaps, as many die rolls contain so many parameters, but certainly with a means to nudge things to a certain direction. We're quite excited about this!

Any questions let us know and we'll try to answer them here  :)

Our final blog of a three part series discussing the Lua powered Campaign Series Event Engine is now out:

Campaign Series Event Engine in Vietnam 1.0: Scenario Design (redirects to our website CSLegion.com)

While I tried to cover how Event Engine brings a completely new toolkit to all scenario designers (remember, the game ships with full set of editors), I also try to explain how playing our new Vietnam game differs from previous Campaign Series games.

It should feel... different.

Any questions we're happy to take them here  :smiley6600:

Crossroads

Providing a Lua file with battle plans and how it is executed, events, mishaps, what not, was also one of the reasons it took us so long to have the game out. Programming and testing ca. 100 Lua files took a bit of an effort to complete.

Hopefully it will be worth it.

Also, we are still learning about this as well, sharing and comparing our Lua notes with each other, early days still. But certainly what we have soon out is not your regular linear battles of the old. Planting your flag, finally, on that paddy just might not cut it.

Jason Petho

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Some quality Christmas reading their Jason.

Many thanks indeed.

Jason Petho

You're most welcome!

Let me know if you find anything odd, there's still time to revise it before our final hand off.

Merry Christmas!

Jason Petho

devoncop

Quote from: Jason Petho on December 24, 2021, 02:09:21 PM
https://www.twitch.tv/campaignserieslegion/schedule?seriesID=5fb6374d-0955-4832-81bb-ada6770ab0d5

I'll be doing a live session tomorrow for a few hours. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Great stuff.....any chance it will be put onto You Tube.....I cant watch it live so You Tube is always better for me ?