Flashpoint Campaigns - Meta Campaign Idea

Started by Double Deuce, November 23, 2014, 03:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Deuce

I went ahead and started this new thread for this

I am seriously considering trying to organize some kind of Meta Campaign using FC:RS to fight out the battles I just need to get up to speed on the latest changes and figure out the best (easiest) way to access and track the data from battle to battle across the campaign.

The initial "project" will likely be a Team vs AI format that way the battles can be played much more quickly than pbem. Next, I need to revisit the game I ran using Steel panthers and probably steal some format ideas from the other Meta Campaigns out there, most notably those using Combat Mission and Steel Beasts.

Mad Russian

There were several discussions about this yesterday, both with DD and within OTS, and what can be done to promote this type of gameplay using FPC. Suffice it to say that OTS is fully behind this project.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Skoop

So that discussion, did it involve any type of brainstorming ideas on developing a strategic / operational layer campaign system ?  One that can be played from sp, pvp, or as a coop like DD is suggesting ?  I don't own this game, but ideas like that definitely make it interesting.

Mad Russian

It involved bringing the end of game files to a location that could be ported to either a new scenario or to the person running the game for ease of book keeping.

Good Hunting.

MR

Apocalypse 31

Why are wargamers so anti coop?

The addition to coop in Battle Academy 2 has been outstanding!

Double Deuce

What MR said, at the discussion between us involved that. Basically a away to get end of battle game data in a way that could be exported to be able to be used in another software  (maybe excel) for tracking losses, replacements and stuff like that and then that data used for updating the overall campaign informaton and the setting up the new scenarios.

I am envisioning running something like the Combat Mission Meta Campaigns, just trying to find the best way to access and track the end scenario data after battles so it can be carried over, even if only manually by a referee.

Mad Russian

Was discussed last night by the group. Apparently this was a function once upon a time and could very well be brought back with the next game.

Good Hunting.

MR

Nefaro

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 24, 2014, 10:24:31 PM
Why are wargamers so anti coop?

The addition to coop in Battle Academy 2 has been outstanding!

I've had some fun doing Co-op in Wargames (Scourge of War comes to mind), Sims, and maybe some ARPGs.  Nothing wrong with it as long as the AI opponent is an appropriate challenge.  :)

Double Deuce

Over the years, one of the "negatives" of Meta Campaigns is that you need to have a working command structure, meaning you have to have a senior commander for each side (and sometimes other middle rank commanders for artillery and air assets) and I have found very few people want to take on those roles. Everyone wants to play but no one wants to be in charge having to give orders to others whom are usually people that they do not know. That and senior commanders usually do not get to play, just plan and pass the orders for those plans down tot he field commanders.

Nefaro

Quote from: Double Deuce on November 25, 2014, 04:58:26 PM
Over the years, one of the "negatives" of Meta Campaigns is that you need to have a working command structure, meaning you have to have a senior commander for each side (and sometimes other middle rank commanders for artillery and air assets) and I have found very few people want to take on those roles. Everyone wants to play but no one wants to be in charge having to give orders to others whom are usually people that they do not know. That and senior commanders usually do not get to play, just plan and pass the orders for those plans down tot he field commanders.

Quite true, when it's that detailed.

It's easiest when the game already has the multi-level command system integrated into it *cough* SOW again *cough*.  But it can still be an extra burden if the overall commander is running his own unit too.

Double Deuce

I think I'm going to shoot for working up a Team vs AI game, something not too big as far as total units involved and see if I can recruit some victims to playtest it, maybe 4-6 with one being the overall commander.

Barthheart

Quote from: Double Deuce on November 26, 2014, 11:08:26 AM
I think I'm going to shoot for working up a Team vs AI game, something not too big as far as total units involved and see if I can recruit some victims to playtest it, maybe 4-6 with one being the overall commander.

Pick me! Pick me!

:D

Double Deuce

Getting closer to a concept/format BUT have to get the "rules" on paper and re-read it, see if it actually makes understandable sense.   ???

Basically for this "test campaign" I will need only 3 players (3x Troop commanders from the 3rd Squadron, 175th Armored Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Cavalry Division) and and the overall campaign kinda made up as I go along for practice and flesh out the rules/design steps.

For those following along, I have already designed a couple of scenarios/missions and here is the Scenario Briefing (its the same for all but involves different units on different parts of the map).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Scenario Briefing:

On March 30, 1981, 69 days into his presidency there was an assassination attempt on the United States President Ronald Reagan. All indications pointed to the Soviet Union being behind it to coincide with an invasion into West Germany. Even though the assassination attempt failed, the Soviet High Command ordered the invasion plans to proceed.

Just after dark on March 31st 1981 Soviet armored columns streamed across the German frontier. By midnight, NATO forces had sallied from of their bases and rushed out to meet the Soviets head on.

One of these units was the 3rd Squadron, 175th Armored Cavalry Regiment. Their orders, advance and stop the Soviet from crossing the Streu River.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and here is the C Troop Commander Mission Briefing . . .

Mission Briefing:

TO: CDR, C TRP/3 SQD/175 ACR/2 CD

Task Organization: C/3/175 ACR

SITUATION: Intelligence indicates that the Soviet 14th Motorized Rifle Battalion (BTR) is advancing west to secure the bridges at Ostheim as a staging point for a larger attack. hey are expected to have both Air and Artillery support.

MISSION: C Troop, 3rd Squadron, 175th Armored Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Cavalry Division will move to and secure the Streu River bridges at Ostheim no later than 10:00 AM April 1st, 1981.

EXECUTION: Advance on Ostheim from the available routes marked on the map overlay at your discretion.

SERVICE SUPPORT: Protect your Mechanic, Medic and Supply assets however, you need to have them within your Troop Command radius of 4000 meters "at mission end". Failure to do that will result in the loss of capabilities for your unit in future operations based on the following (
OOC meaning Out Of Command Radius);

* Supply: OOC - 25% Readiness/KIA - 50% Readiness
* Mechanic: OOC - 25% Readiness/KIA - 50% Readiness
* Medic: OOC - 25% Readiness/KIA - 50% Readiness

COMMAND AND SIGNAL: None at this time

A note: ALL Game Play Options will be toggled OFF.

After each mission/battle completes and the campaign progresses I will release the scenario's for those who just went to play them for fun. (They should NOT be considered balanced ! ! ! ! !).

Double Deuce

Barthheart, if you still want in, you get first choice of unit, A, B or C Troop, just let me know.   O0

Barthheart