Distant Worlds: Universe annouced!

Started by Lord Zimoa, March 13, 2014, 02:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

What mods are you all using for DW: Universe.  I've never tried any of them.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Martok

Extended Mod and AI Improvement mod. 

I've also been meaning to try out the Picard-era Star Trek mod, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  :-[ 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on April 12, 2015, 01:33:02 AM

Can you use both at the same time.  I've never tried any mods in DW, so not sure how that works.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Kushan

Quote from: OJsDad on April 12, 2015, 07:17:28 AM
Quote from: Martok on April 12, 2015, 01:33:02 AM

Can you use both at the same time.  I've never tried any mods in DW, so not sure how that works.

The AI Improvement mod has an all in one version that combines both AI Improvement and the Extended Mod.

I use of both them as well. Wish the AI Improvement mod had been around when I was creating the combined mod for my AAR.

I also have the Star Trek: Picard Era mod. Its really good but I do wish they had opted for a full overhaul. Right now most of the original techs are still there, although some of the tech have been redone or renamed. Having things like rail guns, fighters, etc in Star Trek breaks the immersion just a little bit for me. But they stated from the beginning they didn't want to do a full overhaul and wanted to accommodate as many play styles as they could and it is their mod. Do highly recommend it if your a Star Trek fan.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Rayfer

kushan....are the mods in Steam Workshop?

Pete Dero

Distant Worlds doesn't have a workshop on steam.

All compatible mods are here : http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3668624

Rayfer

Thanks PD, I'll have to check them out. How difficult is it to get them into a Steam version of the game?

Pete Dero

Not difficult at all.

Download a mod.  Extract as a new folder in the "Customization" folder, then run the game and switch to the mod theme (Main menu - Change theme).
The customization folder for steam is located here : Steam\Steamapps\Common\Distant World Universe\Customization

Rayfer

OJsDad

I've downloaded the AI Extended mod.  Playing at very hard level, I'm not very impressed with the ship or base designs that the AI is coming up with.  So far, I've only seen ships and bases with missiles.  Even after having researched Maxon and Gravitic beams and fighter bays, I only end up with missile armed units.

At first I was fine with it as I figured it was the best weapon of those available at the beginning.  But after researching more advanced weapons, I had expected so see designs with those, especially one fighter bays where available.

Has anyone else noticed this.

sandman2575

Quote from: OJsDad on April 14, 2015, 12:16:56 PM
I've downloaded the AI Extended mod.  Playing at very hard level, I'm not very impressed with the ship or base designs that the AI is coming up with.  So far, I've only seen ships and bases with missiles.  Even after having researched Maxon and Gravitic beams and fighter bays, I only end up with missile armed units.

At first I was fine with it as I figured it was the best weapon of those available at the beginning.  But after researching more advanced weapons, I had expected so see designs with those, especially one fighter bays where available.

Has anyone else noticed this.

Do you have upgrades and / or retrofit set to manual, by any chance? 

OJsDad

Sandman, no I don't.  I set all designs to automatic.  In vanilla games, I only set the military ships to manual and leave everything else to automatic. 

sandman2575

Hmmm that's weird then. The AI mod (among other things) is specifically supposed to improve AI ship designs and upgrades. So the fact that you're not seeing ships retrofitted to better designs after unlocking better weapons etc. is puzzling.

OJsDad

That's what I also thought Sandman.

I've started a new game (got my butt handed to me).  At the start, I made sure the Human policy file was loaded.  So far, my defense bases all have beam only.  I'm close to getting gravitic, so I'll see if those get added.

OJsDad

Yeh, something isn't right.  I just researched fighter bays, got the prompt to upgrade with fighter bays, but they're not in the designs.  Everything is only armed with gravitic beams.  Strike has always been a staple of my bases.

This is very disappointing as this is one of the reasons I got this mod.