Flashpoint Campaigns - Meta Campaign Idea

Started by Double Deuce, November 23, 2014, 03:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Deuce

OK, found the first BIG flaw with the campaign rules I worked up. The repair/replacement points system is way out of whack. Units being almost obliterated can pretty much earn enough points to be able to completely refit in time for the next scenario/mission. Working up the new numbers, I believe I will be tripling repair, replacement point costs for this next mission and we'll see how it works out.

Thanks to Barthheart, jomni and Tinkershuffle for being my guinea pigs.   O0

Tinkershuffle

Thanks for letting us a be a part of this. :)

Yeah, I agree that tweaking replacement rules is a good idea. When I noticed after the first scenario that the number of replacements is based pretty much on the number of enemies killed I decided to change my tactics drastically. Conserving troops should probably be a major factor in campaign gaming.

Double Deuce

Yeah, I really noticed it when a couple of the Soviet MRB's were decimated in the first 2 missions and then 12 hours later, in time for the next mission, they had/will have all brand new shiny equipment and personnel. Right now I think I will triple the replacement point costs and am considering only allowing 'Fallen Out' units to be repaired.

For future campaigns I think I will try a different idea for replacing the 'Knocked Out' units, maybe a limited force pool of a specific number of each unit that the players can draw from over the entire campaign, similar to a supply depot with limited resources.

Tinkershuffle

It's the same thing with NATO forces. For example I lost nearly everything in the last engagement and it really should have an impact on how my troops fight (or don't fight) in the next battle.

Maybe the future introduces a theater commander who has certain amount of replacements / repairs available which he then distributes as he sees best. :)

jomni

Agree. Destroyed should be harder or impossible to replace on short notice unless there's a relement pool. Fallen out can be repaired with points.

Double Deuce

Still proceeding with this game. Just taking a short holiday break to review the replacement process I am using and we'll pick it back up after Christmas.  O0

Double Deuce

Rather that try rewriting the rules mid-game, I  think I'll just triple the replacement points and use that for this last battle and see how it turns out. Give me a few days to work up the chart with that information and I'll post the replacement information then so you guys can do the replacement/repair sequence.

Mad Russian

How about double the replacements for units that dropped out and the same amount you were using for units that would need to be totally replaced. That would give you 2 to 1 repair over replaced.

Someplace to start.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Double Deuce

Yeah, my point system is really out of whack. Right now you get 1-1 for points earned each mission to repair/replace units. Units are averaging anywhere from 600-1200 points. Easily enough to completely replace all destroyed units after a battle.

Rather than go just with points I am thinking of having a limit on Knocked Out unit replacements and the points being used for repairs to Fallen Out units although the Mechanic unit is also used to figure in for that.

I am also thinking about revising the point mix earned by each side for VH locations/objectives.

Double Deuce

With the 2.0.9 patch due out sometime soon, I am thinking about revisiting this concept. I will need to re-tweak the replacement process so it might be a little before its up and running and and I can accept players. 

I am thinking running this from the Soviet side this time, possibly an MRR or Air Assault Regiment.

Any interest?

Barthheart

Quote from: Double Deuce on April 14, 2015, 03:26:10 AM
With the 2.0.9 patch due out sometime soon, I am thinking about revisiting this concept. I will need to re-tweak the replacement process so it might be a little before its up and running and and I can accept players. 

I am thinking running this from the Soviet side this time, possibly an MRR or Air Assault Regiment.

Any interest?

Da!

Tinkershuffle

Quote from: Double Deuce on April 14, 2015, 03:26:10 AM

Any interest?

Sure.