Main Menu

UFOs

Started by solops, May 16, 2021, 10:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2021, 01:33:04 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on May 17, 2021, 01:29:27 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2021, 01:22:16 PM
I've already stated that if they have the technology that is so far beyond our own, they most probably think on an entirely different plane.

I'm hoping that if you are so far beyond where we are now, you are also beyond simply taking whatever you want just because you can.

What does this have to do with me?

To be clear : by 'you' I meant another race.

al_infierno

Quote from: W8taminute on May 17, 2021, 01:38:27 PM
I've always had a problem understanding the theory of relativity.  How could one second of travel time in a spaceship translate into 20 hours of elapsed time for someone on earth?

At 12pm a friend and I are standing in my backyard of my home.  My friend sits down on a chair and waits.  I get into my spaceship, turn on the engine and in 1 second I am 300000 km away because my ship flies at 300000 km/s.  Why did my friend who was sitting still say I was gone for 20 hours? 

Did it take me 20 hours to build up enough speed to travel for 1 second?

The Wikipedia article on time dilation gives a high-level explanation of the theory:

QuoteTheoretically, time dilation would make it possible for passengers in a fast-moving vehicle to advance further into the future in a short period of their own time. For sufficiently high speeds, the effect is dramatic. For example, one year of travel might correspond to ten years on Earth. Indeed, a constant 1 g acceleration would permit humans to travel through the entire known Universe in one human lifetime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation#Time_dilation_caused_by_a_relative_velocity

Basically, moving really fast (i.e. light speed) causes time to slow down for you relative to everyone who's moving at normal human speeds.  It's all theoretical of course, so none of this has been proven through experiments or people actually doing this.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 17, 2021, 01:43:11 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2021, 01:33:04 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on May 17, 2021, 01:29:27 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2021, 01:22:16 PM
I've already stated that if they have the technology that is so far beyond our own, they most probably think on an entirely different plane.

I'm hoping that if you are so far beyond where we are now, you are also beyond simply taking whatever you want just because you can.

What does this have to do with me?

To be clear : by 'you' I meant another race.

lol. OK. Some would argue that I am not of this species.  :-\
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: W8taminute on May 17, 2021, 01:38:27 PM
I've always had a problem understanding the theory of relativity.  How could one second of travel time in a spaceship translate into 20 hours of elapsed time for someone on earth?

At 12pm a friend and I are standing in my backyard of my home.  My friend sits down on a chair and waits.  I get into my spaceship, turn on the engine and in 1 second I am 300000 km away because my ship flies at 300000 km/s.  Why did my friend who was sitting still say I was gone for 20 hours? 

Did it take me 20 hours to build up enough speed to travel for 1 second?

And yet is so simple  >:D .

I think only a few people on this planet really get it ...
Einstein predicted it and @al infierno experiments have confirmed it.

http://www.alternativephysics.org/book/TimeDilationExperiments.htm
https://www.space.com/42641-einstein-gravitational-time-dilation-galileo-probes.html

Time is relative to the observer.  The traveler is gone for 1 second but the person who stays behind has to wait 20 hours for his return.
This effect even occurs at much lower speeds (as mentioned in the article : after 6 months on the International Space Station (ISS), orbiting Earth at a speed of about 7,700 m/s, an astronaut would have aged about 0.005 seconds less than those on Earth.

Also : you can never reach the speed of light.

The mass of any object increases as the speed of the object increases. At 90% of the speed of light mass will approximately double, but at 99% of the speed of light the apparent mass will appear to have increased by about 7 fold. As we get closer to the speed of light the mass increases very dramatically until at the speed of light it would be infinite.  To move something of infinite mass would require infinite energy and this is clearly not possible, hence nothing can travel faster than light.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2021, 01:48:33 PM
lol. OK. Some would argue that I am not of this species.  :-\

I am also here just to observe humans  ;).

al_infierno

Oh wow.... Today I learned!

And yeah, very few people on this planet really "get it" so don't feel bad if it doesn't really make sense.   :2funny:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

solops

Einstein wrote a dumbed down book about relativity. I pull it out and read it every once in a while. I have to focus really, really hard on some of the pages, but if I do I always get an epiphany and realize "Of course! It's so simple!"  Then I put the book away and the next day it goes all fuzzy again and I cannot quite make the explanation clear any more. These days, I am not sure I could follow the math any more. My partial differential equations are not what they used to be and tensor calculus was always a challenge. Thank goodness he left most of that stuff out of the explanation.

The book used to be on Amazon. It may still be and it is worth reading for anyone!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Pete Dero

Quote from: al_infierno on May 17, 2021, 02:04:23 PM
Oh wow.... Today I learned!

And yeah, very few people on this planet really "get it" so don't feel bad if it doesn't really make sense.   :2funny:

This is the reason science fiction needs to use things like warp engines and worm holes to move around in the universe.

Otherwise you would need a very large cast : every time you come back from a mission all those who stayed behind are death and need to be replaced by other characters.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/einsteins-time-dilation-prediction-verified/

Physicists have verified a key prediction of Albert Einstein's special theory of relativity with unprecedented accuracy. Experiments at a particle accelerator in Germany confirm that time moves slower for a moving clock than for a stationary one.

The work is the most stringent test yet of this 'time-dilation' effect, which Einstein predicted. One of the consequences of this effect is that a person travelling in a high-speed rocket would age more slowly than people back on Earth.

Few scientists doubt that Einstein was right. But the mathematics describing the time-dilation effect are "fundamental to all physical theories", says Thomas Udem, a physicist at the Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics in Garching, Germany, who was not involved in the research. "It is of utmost importance to verify it with the best possible accuracy."

Jarhead0331

If I recall, the book the "Forever War" really addressed the consequences of long distance space travel well. Its been many decades since I read it, but I recall reading about all the vast and monumental changes on Earth every time the soldiers returned to visit from their intergalactic conflicts.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I knew Pete was not of this Earth from the beginning.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2021, 02:27:16 PM
If I recall, the book the "Forever War" really addressed the consequences of long distance space travel well. Its been many decades since I read it, but I recall reading about all the vast and monumental changes on Earth every time the soldiers returned to visit from their intergalactic conflicts.

Yeah, awesome book and a great metaphor for American soldiers returning from Vietnam to a completely changed America.  I recall in the later stages of the book they were basically planning attacks with entire regiments of soldiers who hadn't even been born yet.

- MengJiao

z1812

Hopefully our alien friends, should they visit us, will treat us better than we treated our fellow earthlings during our period of global exploration and discovery.

Sir Slash

Another thing has occurred to me, not always a good thing. If these beings are very advanced technologically as they would have to be in order to build craft of this sort, then perhaps their morals are equally advanced. They may have their own version of Star Trek's Prime Directive and deliberately be avoiding contact with us out of fear of influencing our society overly much. And think how much it would.  :o

BTW, there's a new season of History Channel's Mysteries of Skinwalker Ranch on Tuesdays.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

demjansk1942

Maybe they are looking for AOC?  They first tried to find Hidinbiden but he's in that bunker and that's why that one ufo went under the water.  :)

Jarhead0331

Let's try to leave the R&P stuff out of this thread. Thanks!

:bd:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog