Russians will be allowed to 'invade' Eurovision contest

Started by Uberhaus, February 24, 2022, 01:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uberhaus

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60514388
"Russia will be allowed to participate in this year's Eurovision Song Contest, despite launching a military assault on neighbouring Ukraine.

Organisers called the competition a "non-political cultural event" and said they were "currently planning" to host entrants from both Russia and Ukraine at the event this May."

It's okay, they'll be disqualified for doping.  Sarcasm aside, the politics indicate ex-Soviet states feelings to Russia:

" Tensions between the two countries have overshadowed previous editions of the song contest.

Russia were favourites to win the competition in 2016, until Ukrainian singer Jamala stole a last-minute victory with a song that depicted the deportation of Crimean Tatars by Josef Stalin in 1944 - a horrific chapter that the nation's parliament has described as tantamount to genocide.

Mixed feelings over Ukraine's Eurovision triumph
The lyrics were widely interpreted as a criticism of Russia's annexation of Crimea in 2014. Jamala, who is herself a Crimean Tartar, appeared to confirm the link when she told the press: "The main message is to remember and to know this story. When we know, we prevent."

On the path to victory, her song picked up several important votes from former Soviet countries who traditionally vote for Russia. Eurovision expert John Kennedy O'Connor called the result "a pointed slap in Russia's face". "

Uberhaus

Forgive me in advance.  In Soviet Russia, Russians invade Eurovision contest only to lose for doping. 

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Uberhaus on February 24, 2022, 03:28:37 PM
Forgive me in advance.  In Soviet Russia, Russians invade Eurovision contest only to lose for doping.

;D

We laugh to keep from crying.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Pete Dero

This might be more important : https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/uefa-to-move-champions-league-final-after-russias-invasion-of-ukraine-poland-wont-travel-for-wc-qualifier/

UEFA has called an extraordinary meeting of its executive committee for Friday to discuss the deepening crisis between Russia and Ukraine. European football's governing body is set to move the final of this season's Champions League on May 28, which was originally due to take place in Saint Petersburg's

Soccer is much more popular than Eurosong in Russia.  Eurosong has a huge LGBTQ following and as we all now there are no gay people in Russia.

P.S.  to be very clear this is parody (from the movie Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga  (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8580274/)

Uberhaus

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 24, 2022, 03:31:31 PM
Quote from: Uberhaus on February 24, 2022, 03:28:37 PM

;D

We laugh to keep from crying.

We do indeed. 

Have to say I miss back in the mid 00s when Russians and Ukranians got on fairly well.  I had a Russian stats instructor who was just brilliant at math, he would regularly have tea and polite conversation with the Ukranian chem instructor.  Liked the handful of Russian students too, they were smart and polite.  It was the time of the Beslan massacre so you had to have empathy for them.  But a few years ago I worked around a bunch of Russians, I'm definite they were on the run from a penal construction battalion.  They were just awful including taking anything not nailed down.  Ukranians and Poles much preferred now.

With democracy and time I think the Russians can be rehabilitated.  They've had more than their fair share of terrible leaders and it has worked for a certain European group that I'll refrain from naming. ;)  Just pie in the sky though. 

btw watch out for that Ewok, its eyes look treacherous. 

Uberhaus

Quote from: Pete Dero on February 24, 2022, 03:55:20 PM
This might be more important : https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/uefa-to-move-champions-league-final-after-russias-invasion-of-ukraine-poland-wont-travel-for-wc-qualifier/

UEFA has called an extraordinary meeting of its executive committee for Friday to discuss the deepening crisis between Russia and Ukraine. European football's governing body is set to move the final of this season's Champions League on May 28, which was originally due to take place in Saint Petersburg's

Soccer is much more popular than Eurosong in Russia.  Eurosong has a huge LGBTQ following and as we all now there are no gay people in Russia.

They'll take note of that. There's also discussion of formula 1 drivers not racing in the Russian Grand Prix  https://www.cbssports.com/motor-sports/news/formula-1-monitors-status-of-russian-grand-prix-as-drivers-threaten-to-not-race-over-ukraine-invasion/
It will all add up.

GDS_Starfury

several drivers have already stated that they will not participate in a russian grand prix.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

I for one, am totally boycotting Vodka. Even the cheap shit made in Louisianna. Two reasons. One, I don't support International Aggression against any country and, two, it makes me talk like I'm speaking Russian and I can't.  ???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.