Old World from Soren Johnson

Started by RedArgo, April 14, 2020, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

I've been trying to find out more about this game, but the official website is very lacking in information and doesn't even have a forum in it.
The epic game store page has slightly more information, but still very lacking and again no forum (where and how exactly are players supposed to report bugs and give feedback???).
And the let's plays by youtubers are a pain to watch.

Will the game have Multiplayer, will it be online-only or will LAN or Hotseat be supported, how much of the game is currently done, will the price increase as development continues,
what is the eta for the game leaving early access, are just some of the questions I have that I can't find an answer to.

As much as I want to give Epic Game Store a chance (especially since they are the last of the just, and don't use the abhorrent practice of regional pricing), their platform is so lacking in comparison to Steam it's simply frustrating.

Anguille

I am pretty sure it's a mistake by EPIC. As far as i know, the game was scheduled for next year only.

Edit: the game is now on EA. It's not the finished game yet.

Tpek

Quote from: Anguille on May 05, 2020, 12:49:48 PM
I am pretty sure it's a mistake by EPIC. As far as i know, the game was scheduled for next year only.

Completely off topic:
Is your avatar that of the ship used by Valerian and Laureline in the french Valerian comic series?

Anguille

Quote from: Tpek on May 05, 2020, 03:08:46 PM

Completely off topic:
Is your avatar that of the ship used by Valerian and Laureline in the french Valerian comic series?
Yes it is! Well noticed

Martok

Quote from: devoncop on May 05, 2020, 11:33:29 AM
Quote from: Tpek on May 05, 2020, 11:21:53 AM
The game is out on Epic.
Has anyone tried it yet?

So far glowing reviews from long time Civ players like Quill18 and the Explorminate  website which specializes in 4X gaming.

It seems they may have nailed it.

Some pretty new mechanics and of course this is only the first day of Early Access. There are already 1000 unique events in the game that the player can be confronted with and the aim is for 3000 before full release.
Yeah, a number of folks are singing the game's praises.  I'm trying to not get excited by the hype, but man it's hard. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

al_infierno

The unit shuffling and expansion/exploration looks like a carbon copy of Civ 6.  Anyone know if the basic gameplay differentiates itself in any way?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tpek

Quote from: Anguille on May 05, 2020, 04:15:29 PM
Quote from: Tpek on May 05, 2020, 03:08:46 PM

Completely off topic:
Yes it is! Well noticed

Following a recent sale on Valerian comics on Comixology, I started reading it.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on May 05, 2020, 08:54:21 PM
The unit shuffling and expansion/exploration looks like a carbon copy of Civ 6.  Anyone know if the basic gameplay differentiates itself in any way?

It's way too early for me to compare and contrast the core game mechanics, but straight out of the gate, units are handled differently. For starters, the player begins each turn with set number of orders. These orders are used to control the players units and they can be applied however the player chooses. For instance, if you started a turn with 10 orders, you could use 3 of them on a scout to have him move three hexes. If he discovered silver, you could then use an order to have him harvest some of the resource (not as efficient as building a mine). You could then use the remaining orders on some or all of your other units. So, its not like each unit gets 2 points to move and attack. They can be allocated in a number of different ways...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

al_infierno

That's actually pretty interesting.  Interested in this again.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Damn that does look very deep. Should I reconsider subscribing to Epic?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2020, 09:30:25 AM
Damn that does look very deep. Should I reconsider subscribing to Epic?

The storefront is absolute bilge but this game is seriously good even now. Given those two facts  I decided I am not exactly marrying Epic for life by purchasing a game I wanted from them any more than I am endorsing the delayed supplier payments of most supermarkets by buying my muesli from them.  :)

Others may disagree but the game itself is a no brainer.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

Hmm your muesli argument is strong.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

It is a nice regulating input.
Insert witty comment here.