Enlisted: War Thunder with an infantry POV

Started by MengJiao, May 13, 2021, 07:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 15, 2021, 05:47:29 PM
Played around with it for a few hours today for the first time.  I think its fun. I like the use of AI squad members. It is a little bit like "Brass Brigade"...intense non-stop action until one side prevails.

I'm enjoying the weird variety of Russian gear in the Moscow Campaign:  Shot guns, all kinds of Mosin-Nagants, improvised bombs etc.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 15, 2021, 07:39:12 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on May 15, 2021, 02:20:46 PM
What level is that Russian Rifle Squad you have there Meng?  My Russian Rifle Squad looks like a bunch of guys from the first world war, not WW2.

Oh that's not my squad.  I have quite a mix.  Some look like policemen, some look like the late 1930s People and Worker's Army with very silly hats.  I'm hoping to reach the "Radio Squad" who have 1938 carbines rather than 1907s and are dressed for WWII.  It's kind of hard for me to take a good picture of my own squad since they are all either right around me or I've dropped them off at a safe defensive spot.

Here's my current best squad -- well-armed, showing off at the shooting range -- all with either the very long Dragoon ( an 1890s Mosin-Nagant, I think, but very steady), a SMG, or a 1938 Carbine (mostly) -- the foreground weapon is the 1938 carbine.

W8taminute

^Interesting.  I've got one guy in my rifle squad that kind of looks like the guy lying down in the center of your screenshot.  The rest are wearing those funny hats and look like policemen from the 1930s as you said. 

My tank drivers however do look like an early WW2 soviet tanker.  Instead of the hat with the circles near the ears though they have what looks like a white sheet fabric cutout.  Anyway I'll keep trying to level my men up and see if their appearances change or a newer uniform gets unlocked.

Edit:  Forgot to mention, I have a fetish for looking good when going to battle so stuff like cool headgear, uniforms, boots, etc. mean just as much to me as it does to tote high quality weapons.   :D
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on May 16, 2021, 02:17:21 PM
^Interesting.  I've got one guy in my rifle squad that kind of looks like the guy lying down in the center of your screenshot.  The rest are wearing those funny hats and look like policemen from the 1930s as you said. 

My tank drivers however do look like an early WW2 soviet tanker.  Instead of the hat with the circles near the ears though they have what looks like a white sheet fabric cutout.  Anyway I'll keep trying to level my men up and see if their appearances change or a newer uniform gets unlocked.

Edit:  Forgot to mention, I have a fetish for looking good when going to battle so stuff like cool headgear, uniforms, boots, etc. mean just as much to me as it does to tote high quality weapons.   :D

Well, I sympathize, but you don't have that much control over things in this game.  The squad in the picture is one of two that looks relatively okay.  The radio squad is fine, but even within that narrow range of paperdolls there's a lot of inexplicable things like holsters for pistols that nobody has while on the other hand they do show up with some of the gear you give them like ammo pouches and backpacks.  Not very consistant and there's really not all that much you can do.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 16, 2021, 03:30:51 PM

Here's the Radio Team Squad, showing off how they can stay out of trouble at the shooting range:

W8taminute

Well after putting yet more time into this game over the weekend I can honestly say I am still enjoying it.  But only in bite sized chunks. 

I get mentally exhausted after fighting one or two matches and then need to take a break.  Meaning there definitely is some thought required when approaching enemy positions but it isn't anything too over the top.  I think the reason why I get exhausted is I'm still trying to learn all the maps so some of my brainpower is being drained memorizing attack routes for the different maps. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on May 17, 2021, 01:26:00 PM
Well after putting yet more time into this game over the weekend I can honestly say I am still enjoying it.  But only in bite sized chunks. 

I get mentally exhausted after fighting one or two matches and then need to take a break.  Meaning there definitely is some thought required when approaching enemy positions but it isn't anything too over the top.  I think the reason why I get exhausted is I'm still trying to learn all the maps so some of my brainpower is being drained memorizing attack routes for the different maps.

I think three in a row is my record.  One of them was the time I fell under the kitchen floor and spent most of the battle just marking the enemy.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 17, 2021, 05:59:24 PM

I think three in a row is my record.  One of them was the time I fell under the kitchen floor and spent most of the battle just marking the enemy.

On the other hand, sometimes I go two in a row with tanker assaults.  drive up to what you need to take and then hop out, throw bomb, use up SMG ammo and go in with the Ax...actually, I've never had to use the ax:

Dammit Carl!

Note: I've not researched this game at all as I'm a lazy ass and prefer to hear from people I know.

When you speak of squads and the like, are we talking human squads or AI squads with a human commander?

W8taminute

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on May 18, 2021, 08:29:03 PM
Note: I've not researched this game at all as I'm a lazy ass and prefer to hear from people I know.

When you speak of squads and the like, are we talking human squads or AI squads with a human commander?

AI squads with a human commander.  And when your human commander dies you can immediately switch to one of your AI squadmembers providing they are still alive.

MengJiao

I researched this game after I started playing it.  I have to say the hype (and I have not seen a coherent review of the game) seems to have almost nothing to do with what actually happens in the game.
Essentially it is a kind of atmospheric arcade game with some aspects of what the gamey audience thinks of as "realistic"...which seems to amount to two things basically...you have to aim some weapons with roughly what a soldier of the time would have seen AND one shot can kill you.  Other things that might seem "Realistic" are that the messages on the screen can be ignored, the landscape is scaled closely to reality and weapons are limited to what was available in a particular time frame.  So no Tiger tanks in 1941 (though they should be available in all three other campaigns) for example.
  I'm having fun so far because the game does have exactly what I signed up ("enlisted" -- get it) to see -- varieties of the Mosin-Nagant rifle.  I think I also wanted to avoid another Kursk, which is where Hell Let Loose was going.  For me the charm so far is in the details of the Russian gear in 1941.  It all looks pretty Russian and 1941.

I should add something about the actual play...things pretty much look "realistic" and the spawning is interesting.  I spend time trying to structure my squads for battle: make sure the soldiers all have useful weapons since at any moment I might be one of them.  This switching of viewpoints as things happen is fun for me and "realistic" in the sense that anyone could in theory take over running a small group of soldiers or a tank.  It's also essential to the mechanic that overcomes one of the basic unrealistic things about really realistic games -- huge battles over many square kilometers with hardly any troops on each side.  In Enlisted -- with all squads out and filled, you could have hundreds of troops on much smaller frontages, which is more realistic.  The casualty counter for your side starts at 1000 so at least 2000 troops are available to fight (ie for both sides combined) overall in 10-15 minutes on a frontage of a few hundred meters -- a real battle.
   1000 casualties in a few minutes is pretty extreme, but in game terms it works.  There's always something going on that you need to do something about right away.
   So what do you do?
   My current strategy only works for more open battles where artillery can be important.  Inside the Monastery, I just get a a squad and go try to take or defend something as needed.  The basic moves there are: try to spot enemies entering an area and interdict that...then take an intermediate position and put the squad on defense...take a soldier with a bomb or two and start clearing rooms.   I don't do well at that.
   I'm more able to have some kind of technique in the village and town fighting: one -- fire artillery for as long as that seems to be dispersing the enemy Two -- push to interdict  Three Mop up with tank assaults versus any remaining enemy concentrations...so far that works and the tank assaults are pretty fun and all the more so since they are triumphant overkill

W8taminute

^Good comments Meng and I feel the same way.  The game is fun for what it is. 

ArizonaTank

Quote from: MengJiao on May 19, 2021, 06:36:26 AM

I researched this game after I started playing it.  I have to say the hype (and I have not seen a coherent review of the game) seems to have almost nothing to do with what actually happens in the game.
Essentially it is a kind of atmospheric arcade game with some aspects of what the gamey audience thinks of as "realistic"...which seems to amount to two things basically...you have to aim some weapons with roughly what a soldier of the time would have seen AND one shot can kill you.  Other things that might seem "Realistic" are that the messages on the screen can be ignored, the landscape is scaled closely to reality and weapons are limited to what was available in a particular time frame.  So no Tiger tanks in 1941 (though they should be available in all three other campaigns) for example.
  I'm having fun so far because the game does have exactly what I signed up ("enlisted" -- get it) to see -- varieties of the Mosin-Nagant rifle.  I think I also wanted to avoid another Kursk, which is where Hell Let Loose was going.  For me the charm so far is in the details of the Russian gear in 1941.  It all looks pretty Russian and 1941.

I should add something about the actual play...things pretty much look "realistic" and the spawning is interesting.  I spend time trying to structure my squads for battle: make sure the soldiers all have useful weapons since at any moment I might be one of them.  This switching of viewpoints as things happen is fun for me and "realistic" in the sense that anyone could in theory take over running a small group of soldiers or a tank.  It's also essential to the mechanic that overcomes one of the basic unrealistic things about really realistic games -- huge battles over many square kilometers with hardly any troops on each side.  In Enlisted -- with all squads out and filled, you could have hundreds of troops on much smaller frontages, which is more realistic.  The casualty counter for your side starts at 1000 so at least 2000 troops are available to fight (ie for both sides combined) overall in 10-15 minutes on a frontage of a few hundred meters -- a real battle.
   1000 casualties in a few minutes is pretty extreme, but in game terms it works.  There's always something going on that you need to do something about right away.
   So what do you do?
   My current strategy only works for more open battles where artillery can be important.  Inside the Monastery, I just get a a squad and go try to take or defend something as needed.  The basic moves there are: try to spot enemies entering an area and interdict that...then take an intermediate position and put the squad on defense...take a soldier with a bomb or two and start clearing rooms.   I don't do well at that.
   I'm more able to have some kind of technique in the village and town fighting: one -- fire artillery for as long as that seems to be dispersing the enemy Two -- push to interdict  Three Mop up with tank assaults versus any remaining enemy concentrations...so far that works and the tank assaults are pretty fun and all the more so since they are triumphant overkill

Agree with your comments.

I would just add that as a poor twitch jockey, for me the game is incredibly fun even for someone with less than cat-like reflexes. This is mostly because of the target rich environment. Sure most of the enemy you see are bots...but they are shooting at you and so are fair game.

Long range rifle shots are still a little too easy to pull off in my book, but otherwise some basic tactics seem to pay off in this game. Crawling around, finding a good firing spot, taking a few shots and moving on seem to work well for me.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

W8taminute

Yes I spend a lot of time crouched or prone and taking long range shots.  It's only when I bring out my assault squad that have two members kitted with SMGs do I attempt to storm objectives directly.  I definitely get more kills from long range sniping however than by storming points.

al_infierno

Gave this game a whirl today and I'm pleasantly surprised with it.  Satisfying bolt-action battles with some armor to mix things up.  Reminds me a lot of Battlefield but a bit more "realistic."  I really like the AI squad system even if they get in your way sometimes.  Also, I like the way squads cool down after you wipe, and it seems like you can always pick what you want and mix things up.  I haven't found myself getting "denied" a tank or sniper rifle just because some other player was faster clicking on it.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao