Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 24, 2014, 06:14:42 AM
theres so much gnashing of teeth and wailing over the wipe over there - you have 2 choices, fk about, work stuff out, crash, fight, explode, trade, learn the game and be ready for the 16th - holy crap, its not that big a deal!!!

not poo-pooing the guys here who have stopped because thats also cool as long as its done without the 'FD are wankers i want my money back, 4th wipe waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh' which is whats happening over there

Gamma and this forum have taught me two things - sell the eagle and soup up the sidewinder to get the hauler/freighter as soon as, and the f = fixed and g = gimballed  :buck2: :buck2: :buck2: :buck2: :buck2: :buck2:
That's exactly what I'm doing - and if I don't want to get too into it before the wipe, I'll just stop.  O0
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

theres so much gnashing of teeth and wailing over the wipe over there - you have 2 choices, fk about, work stuff out, crash, fight, explode, trade, learn the game and be ready for the 16th - holy crap, its not that big a deal!!!

not poo-pooing the guys here who have stopped because thats also cool as long as its done without the 'FD are wankers i want my money back, 4th wipe waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh' which is whats happening over there

Gamma and this forum have taught me two things - sell the eagle and soup up the sidewinder to get the hauler/freighter as soon as, and the f = fixed and g = gimballed  :buck2: :buck2: :buck2: :buck2: :buck2: :buck2:

I agree. Look, I beta tested.  I knew what I was getting into, knew there would be bugs and knew there would be wiped. I had a blast and built stuff up after each wipe. I just choose to put it down for now until release so I can avoid another. No biggie. What I DONT understand is people on the Elite forums who are screaming and yelling about a wipe. Seriously, this game has not been "released" so you shouldn't expect anything more than a beta.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Quote from: MikeGER on November 24, 2014, 04:36:20 AM
i would opt for an partial wipe, and reward the Beta/Gamma tester with some cash

it should be easy possible to
1) calc a mean credit gain per active hours spend online in Gamma without cheats, in addition double check on numbers of trade actions and fighting victory/defeats and ship crashes to do calc plausibility check on the wealth gain 
2) calc the maximum plausible gain in 3 weeks for sane and healthy use of the product
(so like 8h a day online max) divide that by a factor (maybe 10) and you have the upper limit for the bonus
that make sense

sort all the Gamma Commander accounts "test-effort measured by wealth" in logarithmic scaled classes and just hand out some Gamma Tester Start Bonus like: 10k 20k 50k 100k 500k 1M 2M 5M 10M ...

just a little reward for spending time online now for a smoother start on the 16th       

If you are a beta backer you do get a small boost after wipe as you will be reissued your "Freeagle"
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MikeGER

Quote from: mikeck on November 24, 2014, 09:54:02 AM

If you are a beta backer you do get a small boost after wipe as you will be reissued your "Freeagle"

can you imagine what would happen in the official FD forum and probably also leaked into the real world if not  ;)

If FD would dare to say: "Well bloks, you all got the Freeagle in the Gamma, you all had some fun with it for some weeks now so we got even, and now its gone. Fresh start for all" ;D

That forum would go apeshit, its prime news on BBC,  and i bet the developers had to move to a safe house  ::)   

Nefaro

Doesn't bother me.  I got so much on my gaming plate right now, I'm unable to focus on any single one.   :idiot2:

Perhaps I'm not quite in a Space mood right now, but I've not really been compelled to get into Elite just yet.  I should probably be thankful for this apathy considering the extra wipe and such, but I did spend a chunk of money to get into the beta only to Meh it away.   :uglystupid2:

SirAndrewD

It's absurd over there to be sure. 

I'm fine with a wipe, I think my only complaint has to be that they needed to be a bit more upfront and transparent about how a Gamma wipe was more likely than not, earlier.  I know they wanted to get more people in the game to stress test, but the general assumption is that Gamma was to be a headstart, and FD had pretty much encouraged that thinking all the way until Gamma day 1. 

If a wipe makes the game better on 12-16, I'm all for it, I just don't know if I want to invest any time in it until then.  I might go on and play a bit and putter about, practicing combat and maybe sightseeing around Sol, but I sort of want to save all the good stuff for when I will get to  keep everything and build up my commander for keeps.

I was a touch concerned though about a comment Brookes made today about "hoping" a wipe wouldn't be needed AFTER release.  If there's a post release day wipe, it's going to be Attica.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Nefaro

Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 24, 2014, 03:39:10 PM

I was a touch concerned though about a comment Brookes made today about "hoping" a wipe wouldn't be needed AFTER release.  If there's a post release day wipe, it's going to be Attica.

"If the situation is so bad that it would require a post-release wipe, then they should NOT be releasing it." --Capt. Obvious.

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on November 24, 2014, 05:13:03 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 24, 2014, 03:39:10 PM

"If the situation is so bad that it would require a post-release wipe, then they should NOT be releasing it." --Capt. Obvious.

Lol...yet time and time again game developers do just that. I'm sure it will be fine.

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2014, 02:59:51 AM
I was talking about this manual...but seems it was an "early" one...no idea how relevant it is to the game now

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5jxh750heuhzedw/Elite+Dangerous.Pilots+Guide.Manual.Tutorial.pdf
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34437

This one is is the most recent manual available and is continuously being updated.

JudgeDredd

Excellent thank you

And - oh joy.....first time on today, had 20 minutes before work and I was jumping between two systems...only to be interdicted 3 times...3 TIMES in one jump!  >:(

First guy in a Sidey got his come uppence  :knuppel2: ...other two I bolted because I just needed to land before I had to take my daughter to college.

Can anyone explain why I have a status of wanted now? I'm pretty sure I didn't have it before this morning so I can only assume I got it because I attacked the sidey that interdicted me...but he attacked ME!

I've definitely not done anything in my previous gaming in GAMMA to warrant being wanted...I've just been fumbling about doing nothing.  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

There is a bug somewhere.  If you shoot first the game flags you as the attacker and makes you wanted.
If you don't pay the fine quickly next time you will be interdicted by a federal dropship and be blown into pieces.

Right now you have to wait until they fired at you before you can shoot at them.

JudgeDredd

He did fire first, but missed - so I guess me hitting him first might be the same issue.

Damn.

I presume I pay the fine when docked?
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 27, 2014, 08:44:45 AM

Correct.  But U need to dock in the correct system (eg a federal system to pay a federal fine).
In the mean time try to avoid interdiction.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 27, 2014, 09:11:56 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 27, 2014, 08:44:45 AM

Correct.  But U need to dock in the correct system (eg a federal system to pay a federal fine).
In the mean time try to avoid interdiction.
I did  :(
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

hmm theres a whole lot of hear say about the wanted thing, some say switch off crime reporting, some say if you attack someone allied to that systems faction blah blah - its never fully been explained and i suppose wont be until the manual is written