Jarhead at the movies - The Last Duel

Started by Jarhead0331, December 06, 2021, 10:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Did anybody catch this Matt Damon/Ben Affleck/Adam Driver film yet? I bought it on demand Saturday night and although long, I really enjoyed it. It was very well done overall and having subsequently read up on the actual historical events and lives of the characters, I'm surprised at how historically accurate the film seems to have been based upon contemporary historical accounts and records.

It is really a fascinating glimpse into medieval society in the mid to late 14th century and I was intrigued by how similar our own interests and passions are to this day. I think a contemporary telling of this story would be very appropriate.

In any event, I highly recommend this one. It is very well acted, looks great and tells a very interesting tale based on actual events.

Check it out!

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

This has been popping up in my on-demand queue as well - almost watched it Saturday night. Will go for it this coming weekend, the trailer is excellent. The Wife will probably enjoy it too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

al_infierno

Need to catch this one, heard great things but unfortunately it was a bit of a box office bomb, from what I hear.  Always a huge bummer when a genuinely good film doesn't do well.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on December 20, 2021, 01:42:05 PM
Need to catch this one, heard great things but unfortunately it was a bit of a box office bomb, from what I hear.  Always a huge bummer when a genuinely good film doesn't do well.

Unfortunately, movies that require a brain and encourage thought do not seem to do so well in Hollywood these days. Although this has plenty of action and suspense, these sequences (other than the actual "last duel") are not a main focus of the film and they are light on effects with probably little to no discernible CGI or special effects. It is the drama of the script and acting that drives this movie.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Whatever the complaints, Mr. Scott does period pieces very well - in terms of sets, costuming, etc. 

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 20, 2021, 02:15:37 PM
Unfortunately, movies that require a brain and encourage thought do not seem to do so well in Hollywood these days. Although this has plenty of action and suspense, these sequences (other than the actual "last duel") are not a main focus of the film and they are light on effects with probably little to no discernible CGI or special effects. It is the drama of the script and acting that drives this movie.

Sounds like a winner to me!  Bumping this to the top of my to-watch list.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Agreed on Ridley Scott, I love almost all of his movies going back 40+ years. I wish he could live forever.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

I really liked it as well. It is a high-quality movie and a compelling drama; well-acted and with great production value.

As far as it "bombing" at the box office...I think it is just part of the times we are in and the shrinking role of traditional movie theaters (Spielberg's "West Side Story" is struggling as well).

My guess is that "The Last Duel" will have a solid and long run on the streaming circuit. I think "The Last Duel" is much better than watching Timothee Chalamet shamble his way around as Henry V in the "The King"; and "The King" seems to be doing OK in the streaming world. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 21, 2021, 10:58:31 AM
I really liked it as well. It is a high-quality movie and a compelling drama; well-acted and with great production value.

As far as it "bombing" at the box office...I think it is just part of the times we are in and the shrinking role of traditional movie theaters (Spielberg's "West Side Story" is struggling as well).

My guess is that "The Last Duel" will have a solid and long run on the streaming circuit. I think "The Last Duel" is much better than watching Timothee Chalamet shamble his way around as Henry V in the "The King"; and "The King" seems to be doing OK in the streaming world.

I think that is what some people will argue, but I really don't think its the case. For instance, Spiderman: No Way Home had a record-breaking box office debut, grossing $260 million making it the second-biggest domestic opening of all time. This was despite worries over the COVID-19 omicron variant.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Sounds like I might have to watch it. I had it pegged as a feminazi woke driven piece that had been possible as they had found a tiny slice of history that suited.
But you guys seem to like it so it must be good and I do like James Cameron films. I was also put off by the half faced jousting helms. Seemed like a gimick to show expensive faces on camera to me.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"