Dominions 4 video...huh??

Started by mikeck, July 17, 2013, 07:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 06, 2013, 12:49:09 PM
I could not get the beta to DL through the Desura client. Instead, I had to go to the Desura website, login, and DL from there.

Same here.  When I tried to go through the client it seemed stuck on file verification.

Nefaro

Hrmm.. maybe they only posted the Beta version as a downloadable installer?

Tpek

Isn't that the best way?
I hate using the Desura client.

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Nefaro on September 06, 2013, 10:09:43 PM
Hrmm.. maybe they only posted the Beta version as a downloadable installer?

That is exactly what they did.

My beta impressions are mixed. Money seems to have been upped in Dom 4, so you can now afford massive defenses. Army sizes, however, are still limited by the amount of resources in a region, so it is incredibly hard to crack a well-defended castle. Moreover, you can now add supply and defense "modules" on to castles (Castle Gate, Supply Room, Underground Supply) that make it even harder to crack. I have yet to win a siege. There are lots of new items and some new spells, along with general tweaks to a lot of the sides. I get the feeling that the release delay is to work on balance and polish.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

PanzersEast

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on September 26, 2013, 08:11:47 PM
Anyone playing the beta?

PE

Does a hooker make money on her back?

Hells yes!

It's in good shape, I've only noticed a couple of the new factions missing the odd description and such.  They've been releasing new builds regularly and I'm quite happy with all the new changes. 

I think some of the factions are still weaker than others, but many things look to be more balanced than in Dom3.  That's the impression I get from digging through the spells & factions, anyway.  The new UI features are a big help in getting rid of the more repetitive and mundane stuff you had to do every turn. 

I believe the new release date was supposed to be the 28th now but no idea if it's still good to go.  I don't really care since they keep putting out new Beta builds and it's in great condition as-is.

tgb

I've got the beta but haven't put a whole lot of time into it, since I didn't want to get burned out before release.  On the Desura product page latest release date is Oct. 5.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on September 26, 2013, 08:53:02 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on September 26, 2013, 08:11:47 PM
Anyone playing the beta?

PE

Does a hooker make money on her back?

Hells yes!

It's in good shape, I've only noticed a couple of the new factions missing the odd description and such.  They've been releasing new builds regularly and I'm quite happy with all the new changes. 

I think some of the factions are still weaker than others, but many things look to be more balanced than in Dom3.  That's the impression I get from digging through the spells & factions, anyway.  The new UI features are a big help in getting rid of the more repetitive and mundane stuff you had to do every turn. 

I believe the new release date was supposed to be the 28th now but no idea if it's still good to go.  I don't really care since they keep putting out new Beta builds and it's in great condition as-is.

How are the improvements over 3?  I have looked at a couple of maps and they look great.... especially one that allows you to go underground....

PE

Nefaro

There's a ton of little changes.  One example is the elimination of % resistance values, replaced with straight-up flat numbers.  So no more 100% resistance to fire/poison/etc.  There are a lot of balancing changes like this, including new spells to fill in some weak spots for a certain type. 

The interface improvements are great.  All the way from starting a new game and creating your Pretender.  Just easier to use all-around.  The updated artwork looks noticeably better, more crisp and detailed.  I like it a lot. 

Some people portray Dom4 as "just an update" but it looks like nearly every facet of the game has been tweaked, had balancing done, and some new stuff added. 

Regarding maps:
I think the reason some of the maps look better is because there are more high-quality maps included in the release.  Looks to be quite a few hand drawn maps (or made with an external map creator program) that have been added, some of them recognizable as the better looking user-created ones originally made for Dom3.  There are also some that I've never seen, and that have their own unusual art style.  One of my big complaints about Dom3 was how flat the randomly generated map art looked, and while that is still mostly the case with Dom4 at least they've added a good number of pretty custom ones with a wide range of recommended player quantities.  Now we won't have to go searching the 'net for a good map to accommodate a large game with many players.

I'm quite happy with the $35 or $40 I spent on it, even in it's current beta stage.  It may need more tweaking regarding some balance here & there, but I certainly don't want to go back to Dom3 after having played Dom4.

Huw the Poo

Thanks for the writeup Nef.  I'm sure I'll pick it up some time soon.

PanzersEast

Thanks for the feedback... pretty easy sale for me.  I got into learning Dom3, however I will just move on to 4.

PE

PanzersEast

Have to say that even though I am still trying to learn (and there is a lot)..... the game imo is a lot better than Dom 3.  While the ui will not win awards, it is better stream lined and I can now actually make out what units are and the maps are very interesting.

PE

Nefaro

They put out beta "j" a few days ago, so if you were using "h" I'd suggest installing over it. 

I believe the official release was supposed to be this week or next but I don't really care since they're putting out a new beta version every week or two.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Nefaro on September 27, 2013, 09:44:20 AM
There's a ton of little changes.  One example is the elimination of % resistance values, replaced with straight-up flat numbers.  So no more 100% resistance to fire/poison/etc.  There are a lot of balancing changes like this, including new spells to fill in some weak spots for a certain type. 

The interface improvements are great.  All the way from starting a new game and creating your Pretender.  Just easier to use all-around.  The updated artwork looks noticeably better, more crisp and detailed.  I like it a lot. 

Some people portray Dom4 as "just an update" but it looks like nearly every facet of the game has been tweaked, had balancing done, and some new stuff added. 

Regarding maps:
I think the reason some of the maps look better is because there are more high-quality maps included in the release.  Looks to be quite a few hand drawn maps (or made with an external map creator program) that have been added, some of them recognizable as the better looking user-created ones originally made for Dom3.  There are also some that I've never seen, and that have their own unusual art style.  One of my big complaints about Dom3 was how flat the randomly generated map art looked, and while that is still mostly the case with Dom4 at least they've added a good number of pretty custom ones with a wide range of recommended player quantities.  Now we won't have to go searching the 'net for a good map to accommodate a large game with many players.

I'm quite happy with the $35 or $40 I spent on it, even in it's current beta stage.  It may need more tweaking regarding some balance here & there, but I certainly don't want to go back to Dom3 after having played Dom4.

I totally agree. It may not be revolutionary, but the updates to the structure of the game are enough, IMHO, to easily justify the cost.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert