Dominions 4 video...huh??

Started by mikeck, July 17, 2013, 07:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

How does one update the beta on Desura? Is there an option like Steam?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

son_of_montfort

Quote from: mikeck on October 03, 2013, 02:12:59 PM

Normally you can use the program to grab updates, like you would with Steam (it is not automatic). But for Dom4 beta updates, you have to go to the Desura website and log-in, then go to the Dom4 page and download from the link provided.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on October 03, 2013, 02:12:59 PM

It is as SOM stated.. normally you can use the Desura client but I think they've been releasing beta versions so quickly they've only put up the DRM-less installer for d/l on the website.

So..

1) Log in to the Desura site. 

2) Click your login name's link, next to where it says (logout).

3) Click the "Games" tab link.  It's on the same row as Summary, Comments, Review, etc..  This will take you to a page with links to all the games you own on Desura.

4) Click on "Dominions 4" and it'll take you to the game page.  On the right is the link to the installer download.  (Full EXE Installer v3.99j).  Download and install it!

That's how I normally get to my owned game list, on Desura's website, to download my installers.  You can also just do a search in the search box, for the title or browse the full game catalog for it.  The games' main pages also contain the installer download links if you're logged in.

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Actually, in my okay list, I moved the mouse over the "ready" under "status". It popped up that an update to 3.99j was available...gave me an option to update so I did. Easy

Arctic Blast

The devs of the series were the guests this week on the Three Moves Ahead podcast : https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/

Huw the Poo

Cool, I'm gonna have to have a listen to that.  Thanks Arctic!

mikeck

Anyone know when the dom 4 manual will be available for download? Or is it coming with the actual game release?

son_of_montfort

Quote from: mikeck on October 05, 2013, 12:38:42 PM
Anyone know when the dom 4 manual will be available for download? Or is it coming with the actual game release?

I would love to know this. Because I have no idea what the "undying" bonus for death magic does.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Nefaro

Quote from: son_of_montfort on October 05, 2013, 01:52:16 PM
Quote from: mikeck on October 05, 2013, 12:38:42 PM

I would love to know this. Because I have no idea what the "undying" bonus for death magic does.

I was wondering that myself, the other day, along with a couple other things.  Web searches didn't bring anything immdediately definitive.

son_of_montfort

Something about living past their hitpoint threshold (like "extra HP") then dying at the end of battle is all I could come up with on that.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Nefaro

Quote from: son_of_montfort on October 05, 2013, 07:25:39 PM
Something about living past their hitpoint threshold (like "extra HP") then dying at the end of battle is all I could come up with on that.

Oh.. I see.  It's obviously something to do with extra hit points and/or delayed death.

So I'd guess that Undead troops get this extra temporary HP bonus.  If their HP drops even with this addition, they still die, but if it's in between the original and the new total then they don't die until the battle is done?

Does that mean that the bonus HP given for Nature magic only works for non-undead & demons (and it's permanent)?

son_of_montfort

I don't know anything specific. Some forum posters claimed that the Undying bless worked on any holy unit, effectively giving them extra HP and then making them die at the end of the battle if it goes past that threshold unless they are undead, who survive even if they lose all normal HP and go into "undying" HP.

Seems a bit unwieldy and also makes a Death bless strategy a bit less desirable unless you can field a decent amount of undead sacred forces.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Yskonyn

Manual is done (though not available as a seperate download), release due Oct 10th!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

mikeck

I wish they would release the damn manual...as a seperate PDF!!