Graviteam's TANK WARFARE: Tunisa 1943 due out on STEAM in May 2017

Started by Staggerwing, April 18, 2017, 12:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

88mmkwk

I am a Graviteam Mius Front and Tunisa fanatic....and I have never played it once!  But via the power of YouTube, I am able to watch and get my fill of the game vicariously through the videos posted by others. 

So why don't I instead spend my time actually PLAYING it?  I spent a long time thinking about this a while back and came to realize that what I enjoyed most was the cinematic experience of being able to build a "mind movie" (if that term makes sense) and playing the game requires concentration and bouncing around that detract from that experience.  This situation could be addressed if Graviteam added a scenario record feature - the one feature I envy about Battlefront's Combat Mission series.  This would allow me to play the game and then later go back and replay it to see what things happened that I was not aware of.  Maybe good players of the game maintain better overall situational awareness, but I find it frustrating to find that an enemy force did something to cause me to lose and I can't go back and replay the events to learn what I should have known/done.

That said, I greatly admire what Graviteam has put together with this product line and the graphics and realism are unmatched.....
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

JasonPratt

Quote from: 88mmkwk on February 03, 2021, 01:01:55 AM
I am a Graviteam Mius Front and Tunisa fanatic....and I have never played it once!

Yep, own them all, and I'm not even disappointed that I've never played them once, I'm just glad to support their existence, which is arguably insane and/or a form of benign patronage!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 09, 2021, 10:25:03 AM
Quote from: 88mmkwk on February 03, 2021, 01:01:55 AM
I am a Graviteam Mius Front and Tunisa fanatic....and I have never played it once!

Yep, own them all, and I'm not even disappointed that I've never played them once, I'm just glad to support their existence, which is arguably insane and/or a form of benign patronage!
+1
:(
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Toonces

You're not alone, 88mm.  I've felt the same way about many games.

There are times when I'm playing Total War series when I just wish I could simply sit back and watch the fight.  I get done fighting this huge battle and don't even know what the heck happened sometimes.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SlagDog

+1 as well

I feel that way about DCS. I envy the folks who have put in the the time and effort to learn how to fly in that game. I just enjoy watching how well they fly and fight. It's a lot of fun to see.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 09, 2021, 10:25:03 AM

Kind of like me and JTS games....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 09, 2021, 10:18:47 AM
  Shermans in Africa:

Vehicle burning in Gaviteam's version of Angola in 1980 (DLC for Mius-Front):

Hofstadter

Quote from: SlagDog on February 09, 2021, 03:30:05 PM
+1 as well

I feel that way about DCS. I envy the folks who have put in the the time and effort to learn how to fly in that game. I just enjoy watching how well they fly and fight. It's a lot of fun to see.

If youre scared of this game dont even look at steel armor blaze of war...
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

hellfish6

Funny. I have most of the games too, and I hardly ever play them. Steel Armor included, even though it's a brilliant tank sim. I'm not totally sure why that is - the graphics are great (battlefields in Graviteam games look like battlefields). Maybe it is that UI? It's the the kind of UI that when I figure it out, it makes total sense, but when I come back to the game I've forgotten where everything is. And the sometimes awkward translations don't help.

z1812

I have a couple of the games, but like many above, I don't play them.

I find the scale to be much too large. If it was turn based, and supported smaller engagements, I would play it.

Jarhead0331

I agree that these games are hard to get into, but the little details that you observe across the battlefield make all the effort worth it. Tank crews bailing out on fire, signal flares coloring the sky, all the little brush fires triggered by tracer rounds, etc. I really just move my troops to contact and let the events unfold as they will. Truly immersive and nail-biting stuff. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: SlagDog on February 09, 2021, 03:30:05 PM
+1 as well

Absolutely. I play nothing but DCS yet I still enjoy just watching Grim Reaper campaign missions and he'll reigns videos of him just whacking people out of the sky
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Silent Disapproval Robot

I like the Graviteam games a lot.  It took me a while to figure out how to play the Achtung Panzer series but once it clicked, it became second nature.  I think I'm in the minority but I actually prefer the Achtung Panzer control scheme over the newer one in Mius Front and Tunisia.  (I still struggle with air strikes and assigning reinforcements/replacements in the new series).

JasonPratt

That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask, will the two Achtung Panzer games be ported over to the new engine sometimes?

....asking for a wallet.  :-[
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!