Real and Simulated Wars looks at WWIIE

Started by spelk, December 07, 2014, 11:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the write up, it has been hard to find detailed impressions and understandings of the game so anything people provide is very helpful.  Still on the fence, hoping someone creates a gameplay video at some point so can see the system in action.  Certainly tempting though.

GJK

I'm 90% sold on it.  I reviewed AGW some years ago (can't find the article) and I really liked the hardcore grog in that game but found that fighting the UI as much as the AI during a game became tiresome.  It looks like Ron has taken a new approach to streamline the UI to make it a more playable game.  The hardcore level of detail is still there (drooling at the screenies of the counters) and with 50 (100) scenarios, there could be years and years of game play in there.

Why not 100%? 

1). Except for the smaller scenarios, the scale is much too large.  I just can't see getting through Barbarossa start-finish or even France '40 unless it's played in very small chunks.

2). I wish that it had a scenario editor.  IIRC, you maybe be able to tweak some XML or .ini files to modify units stats (maybe...) but there's no map editor.  I see from this blog that there are some upper level commands; Army, AG's, etc.  I'd *love* to see this game engine with a smaller scale version map at the Army/AG level. 

But I'll wind up getting it.  Maybe not until after the holidays ($) but I'll grab a copy no doubt.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

sandman2575

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 08, 2014, 05:36:56 AM
Still on the fence, hoping someone creates a gameplay video at some point so can see the system in action.

^this

Sir Slash

Thank you for the info Spelk. The smaller North Africa scenarios look really interesting to me as well as the Naval/Air aspect. My resolve is weakening--- I am going to be seeing those screenies all day in my mind.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.