Russia warns against missile shield.

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, May 03, 2012, 06:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

"A decision to use destructive force pre-emptively will be taken if the situation worsens," chief of the Russian defence staff Gen Nikolai Makarov said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17937795

Pretty strong language.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

TheCommandTent

It will be interesting to see how the US responds.   Although I think we might be just headed for another pissing contest.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Jarhead0331

Well, I guess the Russians rejected our President's plea to play nice until the election is over.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Call their bluff. Russia isn't so foolish as to go into a set-piece battle with the US. They have seen the future and it is bleak.

You'd think they'd be bright enough to instead play nice.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on May 03, 2012, 08:35:45 PM
Cold war part 2

A lot of folks think the world was more stable.

Probably is, Russia isn't the USSR - they don't have nearly the pull they used to - they just wish they did. That won't make things more stable.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

I think they are trying hard to remain relevant and appear to be a credible military power - the last thing Putin wants is a Russian Spring

eyebiter

MIGMaster

OJsDad

The biggest stick that Russia has is energy shipments to Europe.  If they decide to route more or all of it to China and India, that will cripple Europe a lot. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: MIGMaster on May 03, 2012, 09:22:50 PM
I think they are trying hard to remain relevant and appear to be a credible military power - the last thing Putin wants is a Russian Spring

Interesting. That may be it. If Russians feel threatened (because they pushed something) they will more likely keep the strong man. He is also getting old which means he does not have much to lose if he risks a limited war. He knows nobody can survive an occupation in winter if they do win. He sees the US on the ropes financially, unable to support a long war.

Pushing missile defence for the EU wins nothing. From their perspective it is the Cuban missile crisis. 

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598