Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

How is the multithreaded code working out for you folks?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on April 04, 2023, 06:52:12 AMHow is the multithreaded code working out for you folks?

It's very good overall. There is definitely an improvement in VR and it will only get better as MT matures through the open beta.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

How did the market for VR headsets change since I asked the last time?

What set do I need to get to be able to read the instruments in a DCS plane? That was the major problem with my Oculus Rift. Still have it but it's idle and the software uninstalled.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on April 12, 2023, 05:49:12 PMHow did the market for VR headsets changed since I asked the last time?

What set do I need to get to be able to read the instruments in a DCS plane? That was the major problem with my Oculus Rift. Still have it but it's idle and the software uninstalled.

You have a couple of options. The first most obvious choice is the HP Reverb G2. That has a really sharp image. They are so good, I actually bought two. However, I've heard that HP is bailing on the VR market so I don't know for how long these headsets will be supported. Furthermore, the price seems to have gone up. They were under $450 at one point, but they are being sold through HP for $599 at the moment. Still, cheaper than other high quality, sharp image options though.

Another option is the Pimax 8kX...however, they've got two new headsets coming out in 2023, so you may want to hold off on this one.  It has clarity that is not quite as good as the Reverb G2, but it is pretty damn close.  It also has a much better FOV. Some people prefer FOV over clarity. It just depends on what you prioritize. These aren't cheap, and although there are a few different models, they average $1299, new.  Also, they require external tracking, so you'll need light base stations.

I recently picked up a Meta Quest Pro and was really blown away by the quality. The image is extremely vibrant and because it uses flat pancake lenses, the image appears to be extremely sharp. There is no sweetspot like most other headsets. instead, the entire view is a sweetspot. This is what helps make the image look so sharp. These are going for $1099, I think.

Finally, I also have a Varjo Aero. This is at the top of the clarity food chain. Nothing presently on the market comes close. however, you're going to pay for that sharpness. They weigh in at $2000. In my opinion, they are totally worth it.

There are other headsets out there that will give you a better experience than the Rift. Even the Quest 2 is better and you'll notice a nice difference. You should also look at the Valve Index. i don't have one, but I've been tempted over the years. They seem popular, mostly because of the knuckle controllers, but in terms of FOV and clarity, all of the other headsets I mentioned surpass the index. This is really why I never got one. Why, when everything else I have for simming is better.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

I like the Index.  I don't regret getting it, however, if you're looking at the headset as primarily for DCS and flight in general I'd go another route.

Make no mistake, the Index offers a great experience and it's head and shoulders over the budget options.  However, I'd say that it's tech is getting a bit long in the tooth at this point for the cost, which is inflated by the need for base stations.

It has very good FOV, but a smallish sweet spot and less clarity than its peers.   Its lenses also scratch VERY easily, shockingly so.  I managed to add one tiny scratch on it before my prescription add ons came in.   If you're to get one I'd suggest a safety spacer, and if you're a glasses wearer then prescription lens add ons are a necessity not an option.  It just takes one session with glasses on to ruin the set.

My plan right now is to see what the new Pimax offerings are for 2023 and to go either in that direction or the Aero.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Redwolf

Hmmm, that is all quite reasonable. Making a new VR attempt also depends on what kind of graphics card I will be getting. Maybe Ebay snipe a GTX 3090...

mikeck

I only
Quote from: Redwolf on April 12, 2023, 05:49:12 PMHow did the market for VR headsets change since I asked the last time?

I only fly in VR ever since multi threading. Prior to MT I could play campaign or single player missions only in VR. I use an Oculus Quest 2, set it to 90hz, lock it to 45 per eye and run at a pixel rate of 1.2 (I use oculus tool). Now, since MT, I get a smooth steady 45fps (per eye) in single player, multiplayer and even...LIBERATION!! Hell, liberation used to make frame rates drop in 2d.

I set textured to high/high, pixel density to 1.2 and MSAA to 2 and I can see the numbers on the dials/displays just fine. Keep in mind, you have to look at things through the middle of the lens; things are always a bit blurred off to the side

But with the new MT, you can increase pixel density making everything sharper. It has really changed the game for me being able to play PvP multiplayer in VR.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

SirAndrewD

DCS Sinai has released today.  There were some server problems but it's downloaded and installed now.

Tonight we fly over the Pyramids!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

This map is incredible!  Really well optimized too.  I know I have a 4090 but it was impressive not to lag or stutter at all over Cairo.

Gusington

Damn. That looks like a photo.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I love the fact that "Sinai" goes at least as far as "Cairo".  :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 09, 2023, 11:29:47 AMI love the fact that "Sinai" goes at least as far as "Cairo".  :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:

It's massive, it actually includes most of Egypt (at least the populated areas), Israel, Jordan, and even a good chunk of Saudi Arabia.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on June 09, 2023, 12:16:51 PMIt's massive, it actually includes most of Egypt (at least the populated areas), Israel, Jordan, and even a good chunk of Saudi Arabia.

Yeah, I'm spending a ton of time just sight seeing right now.   Tonight I plan to do a bunch of flying over Israel since I took the tour of Egypt last night.

Some of the assets around Jerusalem aren't fully finished, like the Dome of the Rock.  They also apparently haven't included Ramat David yet. 

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 04, 2023, 07:10:05 AM
Quote from: Redwolf on April 04, 2023, 06:52:12 AMHow is the multithreaded code working out for you folks?

It's very good overall. There is definitely an improvement in VR and it will only get better as MT matures through the open beta.
Is MT only in Open Beta? Just asking because I fired up DCS for the first time in ages last week and it was very juttery...and they've changed the external graphics...they don't look the same.

I only have the release version installed now. I don't know why I did that when I last built my machine...maybe it's worth me downloading the open beta again?
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 09, 2023, 04:38:43 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 04, 2023, 07:10:05 AM

Is MT only in Open Beta? Just asking because I fired up DCS for the first time in ages last week and it was very juttery...and they've changed the external graphics...they don't look the same.

I only have the release version installed now. I don't know why I did that when I last built my machine...maybe it's worth me downloading the open beta again?

I believe so. There is also a separate .exe for MT.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog