Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

An inspiring story, and a reminder that not everything amounts to Uks beating up on the Orcs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/teen-beauty-lost-leg-but-escaped-death-by-seconds-on-ukraine-front/ar-AA19hQcC?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=c5f9e686fc59431f987d019a728ae4e3&ei=34

You'll have to read the article for what happened with Pulya the security cat.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Re BT-7... well, yep, I didn't notice the wheels were actually "wheels" under the (probably photoshopped) Reakt!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on March 31, 2023, 08:11:03 AM^Me neither, that is insane and if it does happen just shows how removed from reality the UN is in 2023.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Par for the UN course. This is the same UN that elected Iran onto the commission on Women's Rights and China onto the Consultative Group of the United Nations Humans Rights Council.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote-- one Poland is likely to be considering some kind of hypothetical preemptive action

Poland just finished a pretty damn solid border fence with belarus.  its not stopping an invasion, but its a clear indication of the Poles telling them to stay the fuck out.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Beyond that fence I would be surprised, even in 2023, if Poland pre-emptively struck anywhere. But what do I know, I still can't fully believe that Russia invaded Ukraine. Or a dozen other huge events of the last 30+ years.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Time for some Fortified Sectors and modern Slavic Security Zones!  :RockOn:

bobarossa

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 31, 2023, 08:24:21 AM
Quote from: Gusington on March 31, 2023, 08:11:03 AM^Me neither, that is insane and if it does happen just shows how removed from reality the UN is in 2023.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Par for the UN course. This is the same UN that elected Iran onto the commission on Women's Rights and China onto the Consultative Group of the United Nations Humans Rights Council.
The UN security council is simply following it's rules of order.  Way to jump to conclusions.
"Accordingly, under rule 18 of the Security Council's provisional rules of procedure, the presidency of the Council is held in turn by the members of the Council in English alphabetical order for a one-calendar-month period"

GDS_Starfury

russias right to be on the council or in the UN is another ball of bullshit to begin with.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on March 31, 2023, 10:23:45 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 31, 2023, 08:24:21 AM

The UN security council is simply following it's rules of order.  Way to jump to conclusions.
"Accordingly, under rule 18 of the Security Council's provisional rules of procedure, the presidency of the Council is held in turn by the members of the Council in English alphabetical order for a one-calendar-month period"

I am not jumping to any conclusion and I'm not even sure what you're talking about. Iran's appointment to the Women's Rights commission was an election by vote conducted through secret ballot and China's appointment to the Human Right's Council was also accomplished by election. So what conclusion am I jumping to and why would you even defend any organization who would have rules that would result in such preposterous outcomes?  :idiot2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

I don't think it's those rules, per se, that resulted in such preposterous outcomes. It's the people who voted in accordance with those rules, who created those outcomes.

The security council rollover is of course a legacy from when the Soviet Union was included on the Council for the sake of peace after WW2: not meant to be a moral exemplar in the first place. I don't know what it would take for Russia, as the USSR's successor state, to be removed from the Security Council per se.

Gusington

^'Starting a war' is a good place to begin.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 31, 2023, 11:13:53 AMI don't think it's those rules, per se, that resulted in such preposterous outcomes. It's the people who voted in accordance with those rules, who created those outcomes.

The security council rollover is of course a legacy from when the Soviet Union was included on the Council for the sake of peace after WW2: not meant to be a moral exemplar in the first place. I don't know what it would take for Russia, as the USSR's successor state, to be removed from the Security Council per se.

I think it would take a completely new UN charter.  On the other hand, while the UN is pretty much a relic
of the 1940s, there are other international organizations that can try to put a damper on whatever Russia thinks it is doing.  Even the UN isn't helping Russia actively as far as I know.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 31, 2023, 11:13:53 AMI don't think it's those rules, per se, that resulted in such preposterous outcomes. It's the people who voted in accordance with those rules, who created those outcomes.

It is complicated. This should have been addressed when the Soviet Union collapsed and Boris Yeltsin by letter advised the UN that Russia would be taking over the Soviet Union's seat on the security council. Nobody objected and they should have. As it is presently, the Charter can only be amended by 2/3 vote of the general assembly and all permanent members of the security council. There is a rule that permits votes on "procedural matters" that does not require unanimous consent of the permanent security council, but it is arguable whether the removal of a member would be considered "procedural" in nature.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sir Slash

I would say let the Russkies head the council and everyone present, 'moon' them everytime there's a meeting. And put the Ukrainians in charge of serving their refreshments. The UN ceased to make sense years back and we ought to tell them to get outta NYC and take their act to Geneva. Or Tehran. They're not worth the money we send them until they clean-up their act which should've been done about 4 Presidents ago.

I think the whole region is waiting to see what happens in the Spring. Depending on that you may see many realignments politically pro/anti Russia.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.