Favourite genre poll

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, August 15, 2012, 08:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

This was a tough one for me but I went with Military History (non fiction).  Sci-fi is a close second.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Centurion40

Quote from: Steelgrave on August 17, 2012, 10:44:03 AM
I purchased Mountain Man last night and sat up until 2am reading it. About halfway through and pretty good so far. Only negative is that it's set in Canada kindle only. And set in Canada  8)

I wouldn't be able to read a book with that title and not think of a d-bag on another site.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Centurion40

Quote from: LongBlade on August 19, 2012, 09:28:11 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 16, 2012, 08:33:22 PM
^Cool man, cool. LB which WH40K omnibus are you reading? It's been a year since I finished Space Wolves...next one for me will be Eisenhorn and a nice special order WH40K artbook I picked up.

Iron Warriors. I am just a few pages in. Can't really say much about it yet.

I'm not normally a fan of reading the Chaos side of things, but the siege aspect had me curious. I'll keep you posted.

Heretic!!

Martok

I'm honestly curious:  For those of you who dislike and/or can't stand fantasy, does this include Tolkien?  Or have you instinctively stayed away from him (and therefore wouldn't know)? 

Quote from: Centurion40 on August 21, 2012, 01:00:00 PM
I purchased Mountain Man last night and sat up until 2am reading it. About halfway through and pretty good so far. Only negative is that it's set in Canada kindle only. And set in Canada  8)

I wouldn't be able to read a book with that title and not think of a d-bag on another site.
Same here.  I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom that's the case! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Barthheart

Quote from: Martok on August 22, 2012, 01:28:09 PM
I'm honestly curious:  For those of you who dislike and/or can't stand fantasy, does this include Tolkien?  Or have you instinctively stayed away from him (and therefore wouldn't know)? 

For me, I've read and liked Tolkien alot! For me, I just don't like any other fantasy stories I've tried to read. Maybe it's because I don't believe in magic....

It mostly just bugs me when I go into a bookstore and try to see what's new in SciFi that the Fantasy crap is mixed in with them. To me that's like mixing Cookbooks with Computer books.  :P

MetalDog

I just picked up a Sci-Fi series by Michael Moorcock of Elric fame.  It's a homage to Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom books.  I haven't started it yet, but we shall see what we shall see.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Centurion40

I've stayed away from Tolkien.  I did manage to watch all of the movies, once.  I have no desire to ever see them again. 

MetalDog

Wow, dude.  You're harshing my mellow.  What's with all the negative Tolkien vibes?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Greybriar

Quote from: Centurion40 on August 23, 2012, 07:41:28 AM

I've stayed away from Tolkien.  I did manage to watch all of the movies, once.  I have no desire to ever see them again.

Don't judge Tolkien on the basis of the movies. Read The Lord of the Rings instead.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

MIGMaster

[
Quotequote author=Martok link=topic=2512.msg54879#msg54879 date=1345660089]

For me it does - I really thought the effects in Lord of the Rings were good, but I'd never gone to see the movie on my own - let alone read the books. I can't really put my finger on it but wizard-like and D&D stuff just doesn't do it for me. For me, it lacks the visceral thump that comes with well-written military history or military fiction (which would be my second choice). I understand what the draw to Fantasy stuff I just do get it  ;)

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Greybriar on August 24, 2012, 01:55:42 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on August 23, 2012, 07:41:28 AM

Don't judge Tolkien on the basis of the movies. Read The Lord of the Rings instead.

I second that.  There movies were only based on Tolkien's work, the books are actually his work.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Silent Disapproval Robot

Tolkien's Hobbit and Lord of the Rings were the first fantasy books I read when I was about 12.  I enjoyed them greatly at the time and I began to read fantasy works by other authors.  I quickly got bored because far too much of the writing seemed lazy and very derivative.   There nearly always seemed to be the threat of a great evil rising (as fortold in the prophecy!) and some inbred hick farmboy/blacksmith always turns out to be the chosen one who will defeat the evil (as fortold in the prophecy!) with the help of a magical macguffin and a hearty band of adventurers.  Fantasy racial archetypes replace real character development  (He's a dwarf.  He's surly, distrusts elves, carries and axe, and likes beer, why should I go out of my way to develop a personality for him?).  These season vetrans have all seen the world and have been through countless battles, yet they always seem to defer to the choices made by the bumpkin who knows nothing of the world beyond his front door.

There just isn't enough variety in it for me.

For Sci-Fi, I just find most of it is too intrisnically tied to the technology available at the time it was written/filmed.  I understand that much of the reason for that is that it is easier for the audience to grasp the concept of an item that is similar to something they know now, but with a futuristic spin on it than it is for a writer to dream up something unheard of and explain it to the audience in a way that's understandable and believable but I just find it goofy.  When I read sci-fi from the 1930s or 1950s, it just comes off as cornball.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 24, 2012, 06:45:03 PM
When I read sci-fi from the 1930s or 1950s, it just comes off as cornball.

That's what's so great about alt-history. Try Poul Anderson's Time Patrol books. The corny tech factor is pretty low and here are some terrific 'What if's. With titles such as 'Delenda Est' and 'Gibraltar Falls' (exactly what it sounds like for you hydrology types) or the truly remarkable 'Sorrows of Odin the Goth' you can't go wrong. Especially if you're a history geek.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Personally I found Lord the of the Rings to be a difficult read. Yes, it's iconic, but it is almost mind-numbingly complex.

My personal favorite is The Hobbit. Simple, effective, and let's face it - a helluva lot more fun. I wish he'd stuck with that and written 20 more.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

Definitely a varied set of responses so far.  It's been more or less what I was anticipating (at least in the back of my mind), but it's still interesting to see what people think of the author who essentially set the benchmark or "gold standard" of modern fantasy literature. 

Quote from: LongBlade on August 24, 2012, 09:33:47 PM
Personally I found Lord the of the Rings to be a difficult read. Yes, it's iconic, but it is almost mind-numbingly complex.
Huh, I don't know if I've heard that particular critique before.  Can I ask in what way(s) do you find it to be so complex? 

(Also, you'll probably want to avoid fantasy in general then -- if you weren't already -- as a lot of books/series are even more complex than LotR!) 

Quote from: LongBlade on August 24, 2012, 09:33:47 PM
My personal favorite is The Hobbit. Simple, effective, and let's face it - a helluva lot more fun. I wish he'd stuck with that and written 20 more.
That's interesting, as you're one of the few people I know of (although not the only one) who enjoyed The Hobbit more than the LotR -- usually it's the other way around.  (As for myself, I personally like both just about equally; I find they both have their charms.)  Apparently a lot of folks find The Hobbit to be a little too childish and/or simplistic in style/tone, especially when compared to the trilogy. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces