Reading List...

Started by Bison, January 30, 2012, 04:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well I read 25% according to the Kinde of The Winter King waiting around today.  I'm really enjoying this tale of Arthur.  It's got an gritty feel to it that is just not there in other Arthur reads.

Bison

Well I've nearly blown through one of my two travel books before I even began travelling.  I decided to go ahead and pick up the last two books in Cornwell's Arthurian series.

Enemy of God
http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-God-Novel-Arthur-ebook/dp/B006WOVIRC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1328206893&sr=1-1

and

Excalibur  http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-Novel-Arthur-ebook/dp/B006WOVIWW/ref=pd_sim_kstore_2?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

MetalDog

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 30, 2012, 09:11:12 PM
I just picked up the entire series of Song of Ice and Fire.....my lord, it is going to take me a decade to read the entire seasons based on the size of these books....maybe I should have just watched the first book on HBO.

GR, I've read the series through Dance with Dragons (which, in retrospect, was terrible) and very little of it has to be "slogged" through.  Most of it runs pretty fluidly.  The one thing I could say that might help before you start is to get a pad and write down the names of all the characters you meet more than once and where they go.  The books have an appendix of which character goes with which House, but, I find it easier to remember if you write it down as you go.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Another trick to reading these types of books is printing out any maps if you can find them on the net
and using them for a bookmark. It certainly helps with Weber's Freehold books.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 02, 2012, 09:17:06 PM
Another trick to reading these types of books is printing out any maps if you can find them on the net

That is such a simple and great idea that I am shocked I've not heard of it or done it before. Thanks!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on February 02, 2012, 09:35:32 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 02, 2012, 09:17:06 PM

That is such a simple and great idea that I am shocked I've not heard of it or done it before. Thanks!

I second LB's notion.  Brilliant idea but why did we not think of it earlier :-[
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

I just started a book called Across the Nightengale Floor. It's fiction but it takes place in a very-close-to-reality medieval Japan. I am about 50 pages in and the book does well at giving me a feel for what medieval Japan, with a touch of fantasy, could be like. LB if you haven't read this series (there are three books) it may be something you are interested in and they can be bought for literally a penny at Amazon.

The first one is good but I'm not sure I will read the whole series. Definitely worth a penny though. I like real Japanese history a bit more. I'm reading it to get me in the mood to start my first Shogun 2 campaign, hopefully tonight.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Thanks for the tip, Gus.

Allow me to return the favor. There is a series of five book about the life of Miyamoto Mushashi. No magic or fantasy, just straight historical fiction, but it's a fun read that won't break your brain, especially if you're looking for a medieval Japan fix. Simply called Musashi the author is Eiji Yoshikawa.

Gusington

Just called "Musashi" right? Because there's another book that's been out a while called "Brave Warrior Musashi" that I have been wanting to read forever. I also just bought these:

Emperor Meiji, His Life and World:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0231123418/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A145U086SR2CTZ

The Scramble for China
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0713997494/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I've been reading a lot of fantasy lately and am excited to get back into history, especially Asian history, which I love. Anyone have any suggestions on some games to go along with The Scramble for China?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Just Musashi. I've not heard of the other two, but I don't scour the world looking for Musashi books. :)

Gusington

Are there plans to have book reviews here?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

There are no plans not to...

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Meh. If I had a master plan it wouldn't survive contact with reality anyway. ;)

Gusington

^I won't tell anyone, Boss.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd