Star Fleet Command III
Away Team
Hidden Evil

All $9.99
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

I saw that.  How is Starfleet III?  I think I only played II way back in the day.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Lowenstaat

"In addition, two real-time strategy titles, Star Trek: Armada and Star Trek: Armada II are coming soon and you can now add them to your wishlists."

https://www.gog.com/news/6_classic_star_trek_games_ready_to_beam_up_new_players_and_fans_alike
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

Lowenstaat

Quote from: Toonces on September 09, 2021, 06:43:34 PM
I saw that.  How is Starfleet III?  I think I only played II way back in the day.

From an old GameSpot review in 2002:
"It's clear from the outset that Starfleet Command III is striving for a broader audience. While the first two games were applauded by Star Trek fans and hard-core strategy gamers, they were also maligned for their cumbersome interfaces and complicated gameplay. Taldren has overhauled the Starfleet Command series to appeal to a wider audience, and the changes are immediately noticeable."

"The biggest difference from previous editions is a change in setting from classic Star Trek to the Next Generation. The new setting means that all the ships, weapons, and technology are brand new, and the races are significantly changed. The numerous factions of the previous game have been pared down to the four core races of the Next Generation canon--the Federation, Klingons, Romulans, and Borg--which also translates into tighter campaigns and more-focused gameplay."

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/starfleet-command-iii-review/1900-2898510/

Anguille

steve58

Nice, but still think I'm gonna wait for a GOG sale to pick up SFCIII.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Dammit Carl!

http://www.dynaverse.net/

Place where the Starfleet Command game enthusiasts have wound up and where, I think, one can still buy said game.

The FireSoul's ship mod makes one go all giggly as they slew around the stars in their round nacelled Federation ship (as God intended).

CapnKirk

Plus Star Trek Armada I and II are coming soon! 

mbar

I played through Elite Force and EF2 so I may not pick up at the full price. But I'm picking up Bridge Commander and Starfleet Command III now! Buying the Armadas as soon as they release!

Anguille

Too bad Star Trek: Birth of the Federation is still not there... :(

Got myself the Elite Force 1&2 as well as Bridge Commander. Will also get both Armadas. Already have all these games but being able to just download them without drm and running on windows 10 is cool.

Tripoli

Quote from: Anguille on September 11, 2021, 10:08:27 AM

Got myself the Elite Force 1&2 as well as Bridge Commander. Will also get both Armadas. Already have all these games but being able to just download them without drm and running on windows 10 is cool.

I think BoF is available here: https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/botf/viewtopic.php?t=3509
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Anguille

Quote from: Tripoli on September 11, 2021, 11:16:52 AM
Quote from: Anguille on September 11, 2021, 10:08:27 AM

I think BoF is available here: https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/botf/viewtopic.php?t=3509
Thanks. I have that version as well but would love to see the game on gog.  ;)

Lowenstaat

Star Trek: Armada and Star Trek: Armada II are available on GOG. Some of their other Star Trek games are on sale for 20% now, too.

Destraex

THere used to be an awesome mod for one of these games. That made the graphics look amazing.

I think it was this one for ST armada II
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on September 09, 2021, 06:43:34 PM

SFC2 was the best.

Although SFC3 added a few slots to each ship class for customizing your weapon loadout, most of the rest was dumbed down too far and there wasn't nearly as much variety.  It also had some serious bugs, notably in multi-player. 

I got the impression Taldren was sinking as a business and rushed SFC3 out early in a doomed attempt to keep things afloat.  I seem to recall they didn't patch it much, certainly not enough, and then they disappeared shortly afterward.

SFC3 is still a Starfleet Command game, so it was enjoyable.  Especially when multi-player Dynaverse worked, and didn't get fokkeled-up , with it's hex-crawling MP campaign and up to 3-player fleets roaming around attacking and defending.  Good times despite regular desync buginess ruining a few battles - usually starbase assaults IIRC. 

Still much prefer one of the SFC2 games to number 3, but if you thought SFC2 was too much to deal with or info overload, the third one is worth a try.  It's more detached from the series' Starfleet Battles tabletop roots.  I didn't consider that a good thing, and much preferred the older Motion Picture style ships, but those complaints are down to preference.