Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

Quote from: Destraex on October 26, 2021, 05:27:45 AMPlus a Vietnam map.

Does DCS model vegetation in a useful way?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 26, 2021, 01:44:27 PM

Red Star Simulations is working on the Mig-17F.

https://redstarsimulations.com/

Awesome.  Didn't know that.  Perfect.

Quote from: Redwolf on October 26, 2021, 01:45:31 PM

I think that's been the problem in the past.  I'm pretty sure they couldn't do it without melting people's processors.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Rekim

Really enjoying the recent improvements to battle damage I've noticed of late. It's especially apparent when flying warbirds due to relative closeness of other aircraft and slower closing speeds. The fire affects are terrific and was surprised on a recent BF 109 sortie over the channel when a Spitfire lit up my engine. The flames quickly entered the cockpit through the firewall, and was soon accompanied by screams of burning agony. Totally creepy experience in VR.

Destraex

Quote from: Redwolf on October 26, 2021, 01:45:31 PM

No idea. But I thought they fixed (added) tree collision years ago? Did they not work something out then?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Destraex on October 16, 2021, 07:39:17 PM
It's really cool. The F5 comes with this Mig-28 skin when you buy it and is even recognised on Radar and such as a mig28. The devs must have had top gun in mind when they made this module. She reminds me of the F-105 star fighter in terms of being a little rocket with low wing loading.

I took the plunge on it, I've always been curious.

Man, yeah, this thing is a lot of fun. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

This is an odd one.  I just downloaded the new F104 Mod that released October 15 and I notice that I'm not able to add any of my modded aircraft to quick missions anymore. 

Anyone else notice this?  I used to have no issues making fast missions with the F22 or A4. 

All the mod files are in my usual DCS/Mods/Aircraft folder and Historical is unticked.  I was able to make them prior to the patch.

Destraex

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 27, 2021, 11:07:15 AM
Quote from: Destraex on October 16, 2021, 07:39:17 PM
It's really cool. The F5 comes with this Mig-28 skin when you buy it and is even recognised on Radar and such as a mig28. The devs must have had top gun in mind when they made this module. She reminds me of the F-105 star fighter in terms of being a little rocket with low wing loading.

I took the plunge on it, I've always been curious.

Man, yeah, this thing is a lot of fun.

Glad to hear you like it. She is a good first jet.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Destraex on October 27, 2021, 06:34:33 PM

Yeah, I can see that.  Probably the first one I should've tried.

Very few modules I don't own now.   Trying to talk myself out of getting the Hind, I-16 and Mirage just to win at PokeDCS.

Destraex

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 27, 2021, 06:38:12 PM
Quote from: Destraex on October 27, 2021, 06:34:33 PM

Yeah, I can see that.  Probably the first one I should've tried.

Very few modules I don't own now.   Trying to talk myself out of getting the Hind, I-16 and Mirage just to win at PokeDCS.

I hear you. You have to wonder whether if the current batch of module style DLC games we have had for the past 10 years or so went broke and closed down whether we would miss the money.

Redwolf

Sale is on.

Notably the Mosquito is there with 50% off, which might be a pricing mistake.

SirAndrewD

Well, I've taken my steps into VR. 

Wow.  I wasn't prepared. 

Can't really make it work with even my tiny reenacting glasses so have to wait for lenses to come in to really get into it....but what I can do with it...insane,

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 28, 2021, 07:08:42 PM
Well, I've taken my steps into VR. 

Wow.  I wasn't prepared. 

Can't really make it work with even my tiny reenacting glasses so have to wait for lenses to come in to really get into it....but what I can do with it...insane,

Told you so.  :crazy2:

Nobody ever believes it until they experience it for themselves.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 28, 2021, 08:03:16 PM

Told you so.  :crazy2:

Nobody ever believes it until they experience it for themselves.

You were right. 

I just did a simple circuit over Vegas and a landing at McCarron in an F-16.

I was almost in tears. 

Got my reenactor specs and the spacing right where they don't fog or touch the lens after trial and error. 

Can't wait till I get my prescription lenses. 

mikeck

I knew Jarhead was right about trying DCS in VR b/c I tried it about a year ago.

Problem was, I got nauseous just taxi-ing around the airfield; so, went back to Track IR. A few days ago I tried again but took 1/2 of a non-drowsy Dramamine (motion sickness med) first. I was able to play my first full VR mission; and it was as AMAZING as JH and others say. I didn't DOUBT it....just couldn't experience it.

Flying the tomcat around the clouds with the sun breaking was incredible....but nothing compared to the fight. Twisting and turning in that Swirling VR 4v4 dogfight was the most incredible PC experience I have had. I lost Both engines to an AA-11 and I'm coasting at 15k feet with no systems on. I could hear the wind rushing over the canopy and the "jink-a jink-a" rattle of the tomcat. It was so immersive that I just glided the plane into the ground to enjoy it

The combat feels so much more "real" as does the flying.
Fighting is actually EASIER in VR as well. I don't seem to stall wings or adverse roll and such. I'm much smoother.  I think you just get a better feel for the aircraft. On top of that- because you get depth perception- air to air refueling, carrier landings, gunnery and formation flying are all so much easier.

Sure, the resolution isn't close to 2D track IR, the graphics aren't AS good, You get lower FPS, it can be hard to click stuff in the cockpit in a rush and reading some screens/gauges is tough occasionally.... But the experience more than makes up for it; and it's not like it still doesn't look pretty.

I can't recommend it enough.
It's a totally different experience... especially now that I don't feel like I got off the tilt-a-whirl when I'm done.

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

SirAndrewD

Yes..VR is nuts.

I have a tiny scratch on my left lens on my Index from wearing glasses for a couple of days.

So, bad news even if you use the spacers.

Good news is I can't see it and my prescription lenses shipped Tuesday so, no glasses till then.

Also my doc gave me my exact IPD and adjusting that will make me hit my sweet spot a lot better.