Student Arrested for Clock 'Bomb'

Started by mirth, September 16, 2015, 05:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Am I remembering correctly that Clock Boy did get around to meeting Obama? Left for Qatar a few days after that?

I didn't just dream that, right? He went stargazing with President Obama, after all the evidence indicating he was at best merely hoaxing having "invented" a clock?

{checking internet}

THIS WAS NOT A FEVER INDUCED HALLUCINATION! :o

I wonder if he brought the clock, and if so whether he brought it in just the same state it was when it 'went off' in class. And whether he set it to 'go off' unexpectedly at the astronomy event.

Because that would be hilarious.

Update: no, apparently the disassembled suitcase clock was still impounded until four days after the event.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 28, 2015, 05:44:58 AM
FWIW, I think Qatar is fairly Westernized. It's not as progressive as, say, Dubai/UAE, at least to my knowledge (which is limited more to Dubai since my company has offices there), but it's not Mecca or Syria or a more extreme environment. (Even Dubai isn't entirely Western and you have to watch your step there, but it's still pretty relaxed compared to other Arab countries.)

From what I understand, Qatar, Dubai, and the UAE have certain 'zones' where things are a lot more open. Basically, it's in those designated areas that you'll find bars and other things of that nature, since those are the zones where most Western business interests are located.

BanzaiCat

You're correct, AB. My company has a huge presence in Dubai. I haven't made it there yet but several on my team have been there.

Though, you really don't want to mess with the cops there.

GDS_Starfury

kind of hard to outrun a Veyron...  :P
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Considering how small some of those countries are (Dubai and Qatar, not the UAE), I would be interested in seeing GTA VI or a more police-oriented sandbox game set there.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 30, 2015, 01:39:24 PM
kind of hard to outrun a Veyron...  :P

Unless you're in an Aston Martin One-77...

steve58

Ahmed the inventor fake bomb maker is suing.  I hope the school/district counter-sues, but that might be considered too politically incorrect...

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/11/23/clock-kids-family-demand-apology-15-million-in-damages/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

LongBlade

Quote from: steve58 on November 23, 2015, 01:59:59 PM
Ahmed the inventor fake bomb maker is suing.  I hope the school/district counter-sues, but that might be considered too politically incorrect...

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/11/23/clock-kids-family-demand-apology-15-million-in-damages/

It's hard being a pimp in the UAE.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

steve58

He's baaack...

After a nine-month stay in Qatar, Ahmed Mohamed returned to Texas this week with a deeper appreciation for his religion and a thicker skin. 

Ahmed knows what he wants to accomplish next: finish school in Qatar, attend the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and double-major in physics and electrical engineering.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20160629-clock-boy-ahmed-mohamed-on-life-in-qatar-what-he-s-learned-about-hate.ece

So he's going to continue his indoctrination schooling in Qatar, and then go on to learn how to make really, really big bombs clocks... :-\
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Boggit

$15 million damages?  :o Is that really the quantum of his loss? It seems an excessive claim to me, having regard to the background fears of terrorism. Did the School act properly? No. Were the police OTT? Maybe. But at the end of the day, what really was his loss? Is the claim proportionate to the damage he's suffered? I don't think so.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Boggit on July 01, 2016, 10:16:02 AM
$15 million damages?  :o Is that really the quantum of his loss?

Of course it's not. But they know they have the school district by the PC short hairs, so they're going to push for whatever they can milk out of the system.

And this is why our school systems suck...they're so, SO afraid of getting sued over any little thing.

bayonetbrant

well, when they get sued, the damages come out of taxpayers' pockets, so in that regard, I can understand why they're so cautious.  The problem is that the courts won't tell idiot glory-hounds looking for lottery-sized 'damages' to kiss off.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Someone has to fund the kid's future terrorist plots.  :uglystupid2:
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

He'll get a "Free-Ride" at Obama University.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

Quote from: steve58 on November 23, 2015, 01:59:59 PM

Lawsuit dismissed.