World War I in the North Sea-A Steam and Iron Campaign Game AAR

Started by Tripoli, May 08, 2016, 06:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Battlelog  and spotting reports

04 0300   WX: Mist, Light breeze, NW
04 1311   1 CL, 7 DD reported by Norwegian coastal shipping invic 5753N00624E. Course: North
04 1330   1 CA, 5 CL reported by Norwegian coastal shipping invic 5745N00619E. Course: NW
04 1336   5 BB, 1 BC  reported by Norwegian coastal shipping invic 5800N00622E. Course: WNW.  Range: 62 nm from Battlecruiser fleet.
04 1356   3 BB, reported by Norwegian coastal shipping invic 5802N00617E. Course: NNW.  Range: 59 nm from Battlecruiser fleet.
04 1456   3 BB, 1 BC reported by Norwegian coastal shipping invic 5817N00559E. Course: NW.  Range: 52 nm from Battlecruiser fleet. See attached
04 1552   HMS NEREIDE attacks a submarine in the approaches to the Firth of Forth, invic 5608N00211E
041526   Battlecruiser Fleet assumes nighttime cruising disposition, course 167/14 knots. Note: The multiple reports of German battleships leads me to believe the     High Seas Fleet is at sea.  Not wanting to gain contact at night and close range with a superior force, I have the Battlecruisers turn south, away from the reported position.
041704   HMS FALMOUTH sights an unknown ship invic 5734N00544E, Brg 2.5 nm SW from Battlecruiser Fleet.
041706   HMS FALMOUTH identifies ship as a German merchant blockade runner, which is subsequently engaged and sunk.
04 17:23     AMC Princess Margaret is commencing to lay mines!
04 17:24     AMC Princess Irene is commencing to lay mines!

04 18:29     AMC Princess Margaret has finished laying mines!
04 18:30     AMC Princess Irene has finished laying mines!
05 10:31     CL Arethusa opens fire at Coastal battery near Zeebrugge
05 10:53     B King Edward VII fires 5 6in guns at Coastal batteries invic  Zeebrugge and Oostende
05 10:56    B Africa opens fire at Coastal batteries invic  Zeebrugge and Oostende
05 10:59     B Hibernia opens fire at Coastal batteries invic  Zeebrugge and Oostende
05 10:59     B Africa fires 4 12in guns at Coastal batteries invic  Zeebrugge and Oostende

Note: Over the next four hours, the pre-dreadnoughts or the 3rd Battlesquadron bombard  the shore batteries, heavily damaging them, and receiving minor damage in return.  After exhausting most of its ammunition, the 3rd Battlesquadron sets course for Grimsby.  Similarly, the Battlecruisers set course for the Firth of Forth.  All British units return home without incident.

Aftermath and Analysis

The sweep off Skagerrak was modestly successful, resulting in the sinking of a blockade runner, the VINEA.  Subsequent analysis indicated the HMS NEREIDE attacked and sunk the U-24 in the approaches to the Firth of Forth, indicating the need for some defensive minefields in the area.

The multiple sightings of the Battleships off the Norwegian coast  is strong evidence that the High Seas Fleet sortied.  However, the subsequent lack of sightings by my destroyer patrols indicate it remained well off the eastern British coast.  The fact that British naval intelligence (Room 40 ) failed to identify the High Seas Fleet sortie is concerning.  Historically, this is similar to what happened during the December 1914 Scarborough Raid, where Room 40 failed to identify the sortie of the High Seas Fleet in support of  Hipper's battlecruisers.    In the Scarborough raid, the failure of Room 40 to identify the High Seas Fleet sortie led the Admiralty to only deploy the Battlecruiser Fleet and a squadron of Battleships.   This potentially set the stage for an decisive battle between the German High Seas Fleet and only a small portion of the British fleet.   During the historical Scarborough Raid, the Royal Navy was fortunate to have avoided such an unequal encounter.  Similarly, I was fortunate to have avoided such an encounter this turn, although the risk I ran was somewhat less.  This is because during a daylight encounter, the British Battlecruisers could avoid action by outrunning German dreadnoughts.  However, in a night encounter, the close initial ranges could easily result in crippling damage being done before the battlecruisers disengaged.  More troubling is the danger faced by the pre-dreadnoughts.  In any engagement, they would be outgunned, outnumbered and unable to outrun any German capital ship.  Fortunately, this time they were on the opposite side of the North Sea, and near the British coast. They might not be so lucky the next time.  Therefore, the chief lesson learned is that intelligence can be wrong, and that absence of evidence of an enemy's presence does not equate to evidence of absence of the enemy.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tripoli

18 February 1915

Strategic Overview

The strategic situation is unchanged from last turn.  At the operational level, the Grand Fleet continues to have a significant superiority in operational battleships over the German fleet.

Intelligence

Intelligence reports the German fleet is planning on operation off the British East Coast.  However, there are no details of the operation.  The Germans likely have sufficient operations points to deploy their entire fleet, although there is no indication that such an operation is planned for this turn.  The lack of any response last turn to the bombardment of the Belgium ports indicates that the Germans have not based light forces to the area.
Notably, the ASW requirement has increased from 10 to 20, showing that the German navy is increasing deployments of submarines in a commerce raiding role.  Historically, on 4 February 1915 Germany issued a warning that it was instituting unrestricted submarine warfare beginning on 18 February 1915. 
I evaluate the ECOA for this two-week period in descending probability as follows:

1.   Most Probable ECOA /Most Dangerous ECOA - Deployment of multiple Battle squadrons of the High Seas Fleet and unknown number of pre-dreadnaughts to British East coast, English Channel or North Sea.  Possible minelaying and/or submarine operations off the English coast in support of the deployment.
2.   Patrol or Raid conducted by 1st Scouting squadron led by SMS DERFFLINGER  and associated light forces, likely along British East coast., without support of the High Seas Fleet
3.   Deployment of German light forces to conduct small-scale patrols into North Sea.  Possible minelaying operations in conjunction with the deployment.
4.   Mining by German light forces off of British East coast/Channel

Available Forces

The British have 885 Operational points available.  The Order of Battle for this turn is attached below:

Objectives
   In priority order, the objectives for this turn are as follows:

1.   Engage and destroy any German Capital Ships in the North Sea
2.   Prevent loss of British Capital Ships
3.   Protect the English Coast from Bombardment
4.   Conduct seaplane raid of German coast

Concept of Operations

Intelligence indicates that both the most likely and the most dangerous enemy courses of actions are a deployment of the High Seas Fleet.  Accordingly, the entire Grand Fleet will also sortie, with the objective of engaging and destroying any German capital ships that sortie into the North Sea.   This large deployment will require all of the 865 operations points available, leaving few available for next turn.    With the preponderance of force, the Royal Navy should be able to destroy the German Fleet, if it located and intercepted.  A few minor units, such as a squadron of heavy cruisers, will be left behind, mostly because of insufficient operations points.

The operation will consist of a preemptive sortie of the Grand Fleet to an MODLOC north of the Oyster Banks.  The Battlecruiser Fleet will provide scouting to the SE of the Grand Fleet.  By keeping the Battle cruisers to the SE, they should be able cut off the German retreat back to their bases.  Hopefully, this force will intercept the German fleet enroute to its estimated destination of the English east coast.  If the Grand Fleet misses the Germans on their outward leg, a patrol of destroyers off Grimsby will hopefully make contact with the German fleet.

A line of submarines off the Bight will provide early warning of any sailings by the German fleet.  Two minelaying cruisers will deploy mines off Helgoland to attrition the German fleet on its return journey.

After the German fleet has been neutralized,   the seaplane carriers will conduct a raid of the German ports.  This is a secondary operation.  Additionally, a patrol light cruisers in the English Channel will guard against a possible raid by German light forces in the area.

Replacements/Detachments
•   Reinforcements/Additions
o   BC HMS AUSTRALIA
o   BC HMS INDEFATIGABLE
o   CL HMS GLOUCESTER, INCONSTANT, CAROLINE
o   DD HMS MANSFIELD

•   Detachments
o   None

Maintenance and Repairs

•   Units entering Repair/Maintenance
o   B HMS HIBERNIA
•   Units returning from Maintenance
o   B HMS DOMINION
o   CA HMS ABOUKIR
o   2 DDs

Training
•   Minelaying Division 2
•   2nd Light Cruiser Squadron
•   CL HMS AURORA

Administrative

The 2nd Light cruiser squadron is returned to the Grand Fleet from its temporary duty with the Battlecruiser Fleet.   Similarly, the 5th light cruiser squadron and 1st and 2nd Division of the 3rd Destroyer Flotilla returned to Harwich Force.

Operations

See attached OPLAN.  The Grand Fleet and Battlecruiser Fleet will rendezvous in the central North Sea and proceed to the MODLOC position to intercept the German fleet after cutting off its retreat back to base.  The minelaying light cruisers from Harwich Force and the seaplane carriers will approach Helgoland only after the High Seas Fleet is confirmed away from the area or neutralized.

Tripoli

Battlelog  and spotting reports

Note: During this turn there was a major encounter between the German and British fleets, with the initial encounter occurring about  one hour before dusk. I have saved the game at the point where the fleets come into contact, and will fight the scenario twice: Once with no restrictions on my ability to control the forces, and once with a more conservative strategy, more similar to what Jellicoe followed at Jutland.  My purpose in doing this is to try to illustrate some of the factors that Admiral Jellicoe may have been considering at dusk during the Battle of Jutland, after the Germans executed their second battle turn away.   I will then do an analysis based on the two engagements.

In the first engagement,  fought without any restrictions on my ability to control the British forces  the battle quickly devolved into  a confused night action fought at close range.  The Battlelog is over 100 pages in length,  and recorded over 920 heavy caliber  and 49 torpedo hits.  Ultimately the Royal Navy was successful, sinking seven German battleships, four pre-dreadnoughts, one light cruiser and sixteen destroyers.  However, it paid a significant cost, losing  four battleships, two battlecruisers, two heavy cruisers and three destroyers sunk, and numerous other ships being heavily or moderately damaged.  Only sixteen battleships and three battlecruisers were either undamaged or only lightly damaged.   Because of the confused nature   of the battle, I will not attempt a  full description. Rather, the significantly edited battle log below, and the attached loss map (attached) gives an idea of the level of violence in the night action.

Battlelog-Scenario 1
180934   E6 reports 4 BB 1 B 1 CA course WNW invic 5450N00710E.  Based on this course, I assume the target is Hartlepool, and the German fleet will change course to due west shortly.
18 15:26     CL Bellona sights an unknown ship invic 5527N00424E.  WX Clear, Lt Breez NNW, Sighting Range: 23,000 yds, 1hr, 05 min before Dusk.  This interception is further north than I thought it would be.
18 15:27     CA Natal sights an unknown ship
18 15:29     CL Bellona identifies unknown ship as DD
18 15:30     CL Bellona sights an unknown ship
18 15:31     CL Bellona sights an unknown ship

181531   Grand Fleet turns to 146/20 knots.  Line ahead   Note: I strongly suspect the Grand Fleet has run into the High Seas Fleet, unfortunately earlier than I had wanted to.
181531   Battlecruiser Fleet turns to 105/25 knots and forms line ahead.

18 15:32     CL Bellona sights an unknown ship
18 15:32     CL Bellona identifies DD as Bremen-class
18 15:34     CL Bellona identifies unknown ship as BB
18 15:34     CL Caroline sights an unknown ship  See attached.
18 15:41     BB opens fire at CL Bellona!
18 15:43     CL Bellona identifies BB as Nassau-class
18 15:46     CL Bellona identifies unknown ship as BB
18 15:46     CL Bellona identifies unknown ship as BB
18 15:49     CL Bellona identifies unknown ship as BB

NOTE: At this point, a General Engagement between the scouting forces and the High Seas Fleet. I start withdrawing the scouting forces while the Grand Fleet forms a battleline to the North of the German fleet, and the Battlecruiser Fleet does a high speed run to the South, to cut off the Germans from their base.

18 15:50     BB Nassau-class opens fire at CA Minotaur!
18 15:52     BB opens fire at CL Boadicea!
18 15:52     BB opens fire at CL Boadicea!
18 15:52     BB Helgoland-class opens fire at CA Minotaur!
18 15:55     BB Emperor of India opens fire at BB Nassau-class! Range18,000 yds
18 15:57     BB Nassau-class opens fire at BB Benbow!
18 15:58     BB Nassau-class opens fire at BB Emperor of India!
18 15:58     BB Helgoland-class opens fire at BB Iron Duke!
18 15:58    BB Nassau-class opens fire at CA Drake!
18 15:58     BB Nassau-class opens fire at CA Drake!
18 15:58     B Deutschland-class opens fire at CA Minotaur!
18 15:58     B Braunschweig-class opens fire at CA Natal!
18 15:58     B Deutschland-class opens fire at CA Natal!
18 15:58     B opens fire at CA Natal!
18 16:00     CA Shannon identifies B as Deutschland-class
18 16:00     CA Minotaur identifies MS as V162-class
18 16:03     BB Nassau-class opens fire at BB Benbow!
18 16:03     BB Nassau-class opens fire at BB Emperor of India!
18 16:03     BB Helgoland-class opens fire at BB Iron Duke!
18 16:03     BB Helgoland-class opens fire at CA Natal!
18 16:03     BB Helgoland-class opens fire at CA Minotaur!
18 16:03     BB Nassau-class opens fire at CA Drake!
18 16:03     BB Nassau-class opens fire at CA Drake!
18 16:03     B Deutschland-class opens fire at CA Shannon!
18 16:03     B Deutschland-class opens fire at CA Achilles!
18 16:03     BB Emperor of India opens fire at BB Helgoland-class!
18 16:03     BB Iron Duke opens fire at BB Nassau-class!
18 16:03     BB Marlborough opens fire at BB Nassau-class!
18 16:10     BB Helgoland-class Hit

1610       Fleet course change to 045/20 knots.  Note: Up until this point, the British forces have been partially protected by the glare of the setting sun, which is adversely affecting the German spotting.  With dusk approaching, the German shooting improves.  Over the next two hours, torpedoes take a heavy toll on both the British and German forces.  See attached

1633               Note: In an attempt to close the enemy and break his line before nightfall, I have the rear most squadron of battleships close the German line See attached.
18 16:43      Enemy ship B Braunschweig-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 16:47     BB Benbow is hit by a torpedo!
18 16:55     BB Vanguard is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:09      Enemy ship B Deutschland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:18      Enemy ship B Deutschland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:19      Enemy ship B Deutschland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:22      Enemy ship B Deutschland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:22      Enemy ship B Deutschland-class is hit by a torpedo!

Note: By 1723, The German Fleet is being overwhelmed by the superior British firepower.

18 17:23     BB Nassau-class Hit
18 17:24     B Braunschweig-class Hit
18 17:24     B Braunschweig-class Hit
18 17:25     BC Queen Mary is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:27      Enemy ship B Deutschland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:30     BC Princess Royal fires 8 4in guns at B! Target straddled!  3 hits
18 17:30     B Hit
18 17:33     BC Queen Mary is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:33     BC Queen Mary is sinking!
18 17:35      Enemy ship CL is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:37     BB Superb is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:39     BC Princess Royal is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:41      Enemy ship BB Helgoland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:41      Enemy ship BB Helgoland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:43     BB St Vincent is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:44     BC Princess Royal is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:44     BB Superb is hit by a torpedo!

18 17:44     BB St Vincent is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:44      Enemy ship CA is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:46      Enemy ship B is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:46      Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:47      Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:48     BB St Vincent is sinking!

18 17:49      Enemy ship B is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:50      Enemy ship DD V25-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:52     BB Vanguard is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:52      Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:52     BB Vanguard is sinking!
18 17:52    BC Princess Royal is sinking!
18 17:54     BB Nassau-class fires 2 11in guns at CA Duke of Edinburgh! 1 hits
18 17:54     CA Duke of Edinburgh Critical hit *! Magazine hit! Ship blows up!
18 17:57     BB Nassau-class fires 6 11in guns at BB St Vincent! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:57     BB St Vincent ## Turret hit T * Turret flash fire! Ship blows up!
18 17:58      Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:02     BB Audacious is avoiding torpedoes!
18 18:02     BB Audacious strikes a mine!
18 18:03     DD Lyra is sinking!
18 18:04      Enemy ship UNSIGHTED! is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:07      Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:10     BB Superb is sinking!
18 18:12      Enemy ship BB Helgoland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:13     DD Comet is sinking!
18 18:14     CL Southampton sights an unknown ship
18 18:14     DD Druid identifies unknown ship as DD
18 18:14     BB Nassau-class opens fire at BB Neptune!
18 18:14     BB Helgoland-class fires 6 6in guns at BB Iron Duke! Target straddled!  0 hits
=
18 18:14  BC Indomitable fires 6 12in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 18:14  BB Helgoland-class Hit
18 18:14  BB Helgoland-class Hit
!
18 18:15  BB Colossus is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:23   Enemy ship BB Helgoland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:25  DD Minstrel is sinking!
18 18:27   Enemy ship BB Helgoland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:27  BC Queen Mary has sunk!
18 18:29  DD Lyra has sunk!
18 18:31  CL Gazelle-class ## Superstructure hit. Mines explode! Ship blows up!
18 18:34  BC fires 4 11in guns at CA Devonshire! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:34  CA Devonshire Critical hit *! Magazine hit! Ship blows up!
18 18:34  DD Comet has sunk!
18 18:34  CA Devonshire has sunk!
18 18:40  BB Benbow is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:53  BC New Zealand is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:57  DD Minstrel has sunk!
18 19:01  BC Princess Royal has sunk!

Note: By 1906, the engagement is essentially a moping up operation.  The remaining hulks of the German fleet are sunk by a shelling from the Royal Navy, although several heavily damaged British battleships sink in the ensuing hours.
18 19:07  BB Vanguard has sunk! 
18 19:08   Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 19:10   Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 19:14   Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 19:20   Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 19:27   Enemy ship BB is hit by a torpedo!
18 19:29   Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 19:30   Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!

18 19:32   Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 19:51   Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 20:07  BB Superb has sunk!
18 21:04   Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 21:04  BB Iron Duke is hit by a torpedo!
18 22:01  BB Iron Duke fires 10 13in guns at BB Nassau-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 22:01  BB Nassau-class Hit
18 22:01  BB Nassau-class Hit  Note: this is the final broadside of the engagement

19 00:20  CL Apollo is commencing to lay mines!
19 00:20  CL Intrepid is commencing to lay mines!
19 00:40  CL Intrepid has finished laying mines!
19 00:40  CL Apollo has finished laying mines!
19 04:30  BB Benbow is sinking!
19 05:33  BB Benbow has sunk!

190216   Submarine D4 reports 2BB, 2 B heading SE invic 5443N00643E Note: This is apparently some survivors from the battle that have managed to escape the British in the night
192009   Submarine E16 reports 6 CA, 1 DD in vic  Emden, Course South

Sir Slash

Damn Tripoli! That's a hell-of-a slug-fest. I don't know that I'd have nerve enough to stay and trade punches at night with all those German BB's. Sounds like you certainly got the better of them though. Good Show.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tripoli

Thanks.  Frankly, what I did was not historical.  In WWI, the British didn't have the night fighting training or equipment or doctrine to do what I did.  Similarly, the command and control simply didn't exist.  Imagine an engagement like First Guadacanal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Battle_of_Guadalcanal#First_Naval_Battle_of_Guadalcanal.2C_13_November) except with seven times the number of ships, and without radios.  Historically, there simply wouldn't have been a way to have done what I did in this scenario.  I'll refight the engagement later this week, with more realistic doctrine, just to compare the two styles and results. 

Tripoli

Rematch: 18 February action

Introduction

In the first play thorough of the 18 February engagement, The British squadrons closed and individually meleed with the German Fleet at extremely close range.  Although a highly risky maneuver, in the game it was successful, with the British trading 4 BB, 2 BC, 2 CA and 3 DD sunk in exchange for sinking 7 BB, 4 B, 1 CL and 16 DD of the High Seas Fleet.  Historically, the problem with the tactic I used in the first play through was that it was unrealistic. In World War 1, it would have been impossible for the British commander to have exercised the type of command and control I did in the first play through.  Flag and signal lights were inadequate for the type of rapid, coordinated maneuvering that I used. In contrast to the tactical voice communications used in World War II, radio communications in World War One was conducted via Morse code, making it much slower.  Further, it was frequently jammed by nearby enemy units. Further, without radar, the "God's Eye" view that I enjoyed as the commander in the game would have been replaced by manual plotting, with ranges to ships manually estimated by stadimeter and manually plotted.  The resultant plot would have been almost entirely inadequate for the fleet maneuvers in low visibility under combat conditions.    Then there was the danger of the torpedo.  British doctrine was to engage at medium ranges between 10,000-15,000 yards, to both give time to defeat approaching torpedo boats, and to maneuver to avoid the torpedoes.  (1)   With nighttime ranges of 5,000 yards or less, there simply was not time to counter the torpedo threat.   Admiral Bacon summarized this dynamic, noting "[d]arkness cramps and renders the finest ships largely powerless.  It degrades the offensive strength of the various vessels down to a common level.  The battleship, proud in an armament of ten guns able to fire at ranges of up to ten miles, finds her range limited to one thousand yards. The torpedo rises in values, as near approach to a battleship is permitted by the shielding darkness, and the battleship supreme in daytime is at a disadvantage to the destroyer owing to the obscurity of the night."  (2)

Because of these factors, the British navy really did not have an effective night fighting doctrine for the Grand Fleet in 1915.  Even if they had wanted to fight night actions, it is questionable whether an effective doctrine could have been put in place.  The revolution in naval engineering that began around the turn of the century had created such a rapid technological change that it is questionable that any night fighting doctrine could have been written, distributed and inculcated throughout the fleet before technological developments made the doctrine obsolete.

Because of the dangers inherent in a night action, Jellicoe properly decided to avoid one.  However, that raises a question: For much of the year, the North Sea is shrouded in darkness or poor visibility, with the average visibility in the North Sea varying from 3-8 miles.   (3). This low average visibility meant that any clash between the British and German fleets would quite possibly take place in either low light or low visibility conditions.  Because of this, an almost  necessary precondition to achieving a major victory would be the ability of the Royal Navy to inflict a defeat in low visibility conditions. Otherwise, the Germans could rely on either slipping away, or use their torpedoes to inflict disproportionate losses on the British.  Accordingly, the ability to achieve a decisive victory over the German fleet necessitated the Royal Navy developing a decisive advantage in torpedo craft and destroyers, as well as a doctrine that would allow these light forces to achieve a decisive victory during night/low light conditions.

In the subsequent replay of the 18 February action, the scenario is restarted at 18 February at 1527, with the initial contact between the Grand Fleet and High Seas Fleet scouts.  I will attempt to replay this scenario using what I believe to be a more "realistic" British doctrine than I used in the first run through.  For the second play through, I will assume that British doctrine allowed squadron commanders to take more initiative than what in fact existed in 1915.  However, as in 1915, I will try to maintain the engagement outside of 10,000 yards to avoid torpedo attacks.  Finally, I will try to achieve a decisive victory over the High Seas Fleet, even at accepting some risk to British capital ships. 

Achieving a decisive victory over the High Seas Fleet is complicated by the fact that at the time of the initial contact, twilight is at 1627, a mere 60 minutes away.  Sunrise will be at approximately 0700.   The 14.5 hours of darkness gives the German fleet ample time to retreat the approximately 105 miles to reach the safety of the  Helgoland minefields.  Accordingly, the British fleet must cripple the German fleet before nightfall. (Figure 1).

Endnotes:
(1)Sumida, J. T. (2007). Expectation, Adaption, and Resignation: British Battle Fleet Tactical Planning August 1914-April 1916. Naval War College Review, 60(3), 114-116. Retrieved from https://www.usnwc.edu/getattachment/abc15535-32f3-4476-bdbe-eb284e6f3bc8/Expectation,-Adaptation,-and-Resignation--British-.aspx
(2)Harper, J. E. (2016). The Jutland scandal: The truth about the First World War's greatest sea battle (p. 161).
(3)Ekins, A., & Australian War Memorial. (2010). 1918 year of victory: The end of the Great War and the shaping of history, citing North Sea Pilot Part III

Tripoli

181525: WX: Clear, Light Breeze NNW, sighting range 24,000 yards
18 15:30  CA Drake sights an unknown ship
18 15:31  CL Bellona sights an unknown ship

1534   Sensing that this may be the German High Seas Fleet, I form the Grand Fleet into two units: 1 and2 BS forms a battleline to the west, while 4th BS forms a squadron to the North of the German fleet.  The Battlecruiser Fleet does a high speed run to the South, to cut off the Germans from their base. I have to prevent the Germans from reaching safety, while remaining relatively safe from torpedo attacks.  Making this task more difficult is the fact that the nighttime sighting range will be 4000 yards, well within effective torpedo range.  My strategy will be to parallel the Germans, and try to launch a night time torpedo attack.  German escape to the West, North and East is impossible.  They must run to the SE. See Attached image
1544    All cruisers, except those in contact with the Germans are withdrawn to support the Capital ships.  The purpose of this move is to strengthen the battle line's defense against an attack by the German destroyers.

18 15:50  CL Galatea identifies  as Helgoland-class 
18 15:50  CA Natal identifies  as V162-class
18 15:50  CA Natal identifies  as Deutschland-class
18 15:50  BB Nassau-class fires 8 11in guns at CA Natal! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 15:50  BB Helgoland-class opens fire at CA Natal!
18 15:50  BB Helgoland-class opens fire at CA Achilles!
18 15:50  BB Monarch opens fire at BB Helgoland-class!
18 15:50  CA Natal opens fire at CL Bremen-class!
18 15:51  BB Benbow opens fire at BB Helgoland-class!
18 15:51  BB Conqueror opens fire at BB Nassau-class!
1550   The glare from the setting sun is interfering with the German gunnery.  This is an ideal time to quickly close the range.  The German van, led by the Battleships has turned away, mainly the older pre-dreadnoughts to be punished by overwhelming British firepower
1618 A possible torpedo attack by 4 Destroyers in an attempt to screen the pre-dreadnoughts is developing against the lead British battle squadron.  Dusk is in 10 minutes.
See attached image
18 16:19  BB Benbow fires 10 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:19  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:19  BB Thunderer fires 10 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:19  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:19  BB Nassau-class fires 8 11in guns at BB Thunderer! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:19  BB Thunderer Turret hit T * Turret disabled
18 16:20  BB Nassau-class fires 2 11in guns at BB Conqueror! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:20  BB Conqueror Hull hit B *
18 16:20  BB Neptune fires 8 12in guns at B Braunschweig-class! 1 hits
18 16:20  B Braunschweig-class Hit
18 16:20  CA Natal fires 4 9in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:20  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:20  BB Monarch limits flooding!
18 16:22  BB Colossus fires 8 12in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:22  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:22  B Deutschland-class fires 2 7in guns at BB Benbow! 1 hits
18 16:22  BB Benbow Hull hit DE
18 16:23  B Braunschweig-class fires 2 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:23  BB Monarch Turret hit T * Turret disabled
18 16:24  DD Acorn is avoiding torpedoes!
18 16:24  BB Conqueror fires 4 13in guns at B Braunschweig-class! 1 hits
18 16:24  B Braunschweig-class Hit
18 16:24  BB Monarch fires 8 4in guns at DD V162-class! 1 hits
18 16:24  DD V162-class Hit
18 16:25  BB Marlborough fires 6 6in guns at DD G37-class! 1 hits
18 16:25  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:25  BB Iron Duke fires 6 6in guns at DD G37-class! 1 hits
18 16:25  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:27  BB Iron Duke fires 6 6in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 16:27  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:27  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:27  BB Agincourt fires 4 12in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:27  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:27  B Braunschweig-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Emperor of India! 1 hits
18 16:27  BB Emperor of India Fore/aft hull hit *
18 16:28  B Deutschland-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Erin! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:28  BB Erin Turret hit TT
18 16:28  B Braunschweig-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Emperor of India! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:28  BB Emperor of India Turret hit T
18 16:28  BB Iron Duke fires 6 6in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:28  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:29  BB Bellerophon fires 8 12in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:29  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:29  B Deutschland-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Conqueror! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:29  BB Conqueror Superstructure hit BE
18 16:29  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:29  BB Monarch Hull hit BE *
18 16:30  BB Marlborough fires 6 6in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:30  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:30  B Deutschland-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Benbow! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 16:30  BB Benbow Superstructure passthrough hit *
18 16:30  BB Benbow Turret hit T
18 16:31  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Monarch! 1 hits
18 16:31  BB Monarch Superstructure hit *
18 16:31  B Deutschland-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Thunderer! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:31  BB Thunderer Fore/aft hull hit *
18 16:31  B Braunschweig-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Conqueror! 1 hits
18 16:31  BB Conqueror Engine room hit B
18 16:31  B Deutschland-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Benbow! 1 hits
18 16:31  BB Benbow Lower belt edge hit
18 16:31  B Deutschland-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Benbow! 1 hits
18 16:31  BB Benbow Fore/aft hull hit *
18 16:32  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Benbow! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:32  BB Benbow Secondary battery hit *
18 16:32  BB Thunderer fires 8 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:32  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:33  BB Monarch fires 4 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 16:33  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:33  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:33  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Conqueror! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:33  BB Conqueror Superstructure hit *
18 16:33  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:33  BB Monarch Turret hit T *
18 16:34  BB Iron Duke is avoiding torpedoes!
18 16:34  BB Iron Duke is hit by a torpedo!
18 16:34  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Thunderer! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:34  BB Thunderer Hull hit B
18 16:34  B Braunschweig-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:34  BB Monarch Turret hit T *
18 16:34  B Braunschweig-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Benbow! 1 hits
18 16:34  BB Benbow Superstructure hit *
18 16:34  B Deutschland-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Erin! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 16:34  BB Audacious fires 4 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:34  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:34  BB Monarch fires 4 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:34  BB Conqueror fires 10 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  2 hits

181634   Twilight Falls.  Sunset is in 30 minutes.  The German pre-dreadnoughts are isolated.  One is burning, and several are reported as having medium damage.  Hopefully I can deal them a crippling blow before nightfall.  However, the German dreadnoughts in the van are insufficiently damaged.  They will get away.  The torpedoing of the HMS IRON DUKE is unfortunate, but as long as there aren't any more such incidents, the British can take the damage.See attached image

Tripoli

18 February Battlelog, Continued

18 16:35  B Braunschweig-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:35  BB Monarch Engine room hit B
18 16:37  DD Comet fires 2 4in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:37  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:37  BB Conqueror fires 10 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:37  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:37  BB Conqueror fires 8 4in guns at DD G7-class! 1 hits
18 16:37  DD G7-class Hit
18 16:37  BB Monarch fires 4 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:37  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:37  B Deutschland-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Benbow! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:37  BB Benbow Superstructure hit BE
18 16:37  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:37  BB Monarch Hull hit B *
18 16:37  B Deutschland-class fires 6 7in guns at BB Thunderer! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:37  BB Thunderer Turret hit T
18 16:37  BB Nassau-class fires 6 6in guns at BB Benbow! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 16:38  CA Shannon fires 4 9in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:38  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:38  B Deutschland-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Agincourt! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:38  BB Agincourt Turret hit T
18 16:39  BB Benbow fires 10 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:39  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:39  BB Agincourt fires 14 12in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:39  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:39  BB Thunderer fires 8 4in guns at DD G7-class! 1 hits
18 16:39  DD G7-class Hit
18 16:39  B Deutschland-class fires 2 11in guns at BB Benbow! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:39  BB Benbow Fore/aft hull hit *
18 16:39  B Deutschland-class fires 2 7in guns at BB Benbow! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 16:39  B Deutschland-class fires 4 7in guns at BB Agincourt! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:39  BB Agincourt Fore/aft hull hit *
18 16:39  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Thunderer! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:39  BB Thunderer Superstructure hit *
18 16:39  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:39  BB Monarch Secondary battery hit *
18 16:39  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:39  BB Monarch Secondary battery hit *
18 16:39  BB Nassau-class fires 6 6in guns at BB Benbow! 1 hits
18 16:39  BB Benbow Turret hit T
18 16:39  BB Iron Duke limits flooding!
18 16:40  DD Alarm fires 2 4in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:40  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:41  B Deutschland-class fires 2 7in guns at BB Benbow! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:41  BB Benbow Turret hit T
18 16:41  B Deutschland-class fires 4 7in guns at BB Agincourt! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:41  BB Agincourt Turret hit T
18 16:41  CL Gazelle-class fires 4 4in guns at DD Fury! 1 hits
18 16:41  DD Fury Near miss! Hull damaged by splinters!
18 16:41  BB Ajax fires 8 4in guns at DD G37-class! 1 hits
18 16:41  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:41  BB Conqueror fires 10 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 16:41  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:41  BB Thunderer fires 8 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 16:41  BB Benbow fires 8 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:41  BB Emperor of India opens fire at B Braunschweig-class!
18 16:41  BB Iron Duke fires 10 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:41  CL Caroline fires 2 6in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:41  DD G37-class Hit

18 16:42  BB Agincourt fires 10 6in guns at DD G37-class! 1 hits
18 16:42  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:42  BB Thunderer fires 8 4in guns at DD G7-class! 1 hits
18 16:42  DD G7-class Hit
18 16:42  BB Hercules fires 2 12in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:42  BC Queen Mary fires 8 13in guns at DD G37-class! 1 hits
18 16:42  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:42  BB Monarch Hull hit BE *
18 16:42  B Deutschland-class fires 2 7in guns at BB Emperor of India! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 16:43  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:43  BB Monarch Hull hit BE *
18 16:43  BB Hercules fires 2 12in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:43  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:43  BB Monarch fires 4 13in guns at B Braunschweig-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:43  B Braunschweig-class Hit
18 16:43  BB Agincourt fires 10 6in guns at DD G37-class! 2 hits
18 16:44  BB Ajax fires 8 4in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 16:44  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:44  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:44  B Braunschweig-class fires 2 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:44  BB Monarch Turret hit T * Turret destroyed
18 16:44  B Braunschweig-class fires 2 7in guns at BB Agincourt! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 16:44  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:44  BB Monarch Turret hit T *

1644   Another torpedo attack is developing against the British van.  I order a turn away because of the night falling.  See attached image

18 16:45  BB Monarch Superstructure hit BE *
18 16:45  BB Hercules fires 4 12in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:45  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:45  BB Audacious fires 8 4in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:45  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:46  BB Nassau-class fires 6 6in guns at BB Emperor of India! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:46  BB Emperor of India Secondary battery hit
18 16:46  BB Audacious fires 4 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:46  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:46  BB Benbow fires 8 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  2 hits

18 16:46  CA Achilles fires 2 3in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:46  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:47   Enemy ship DD G37-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 16:47  BB Nassau-class fires 6 6in guns at BB Emperor of India! 1 hits
18 16:47  BB Emperor of India Fore/aft hull hit *
18 16:47  BC Queen Mary fires 8 13in guns at DD G37-class! 1 hits
18 16:47  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:47  BB Hercules fires 8 12in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 16:47  BB Conqueror fires 10 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:47  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:47  BB Benbow fires 8 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:47  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:47  DD Cameleon fires 2 4in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:48  BB Hercules fires 8 12in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:48  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:48  BB Marlborough fires 4 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:48  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:48  CA Achilles fires 2 3in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:48  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:49  BB Iron Duke is avoiding torpedoes!
18 16:49  BB Iron Duke is hit by a torpedo!
18 16:49  BB Audacious is avoiding torpedoes!
18 16:49  BB Audacious is avoiding torpedoes!
18 16:50  BB Audacious fires 10 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:50  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:50  BB Benbow fires 5 6in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:50  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:50  BB Iron Duke fires 6 6in guns at DD G37-class! 1 hits
18 16:50  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:51  BB King George V is avoiding torpedoes!
18 16:51  BB King George V is hit by a torpedo!
18 16:51  BB Helgoland-class fires 6 12in guns at BB Emperor of India! 1 hits
18 16:51  BB Emperor of India Hull hit BE *
18 16:51  B Deutschland-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Marlborough! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:51  BB Marlborough Turret hit T
18 16:51  BB Iron Duke fires 6 6in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:51  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:51  CA Hampshire fires 3 6in guns at DD V162-class! 1 hits
18 16:51  DD V162-class Hit
18 16:52  BB Ajax is avoiding torpedoes!
18 16:52  BB Ajax is hit by a torpedo!
18 16:52  CA Minotaur fires 5 7in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:52  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:52  B Braunschweig-class fires 6 3in guns at DD Nereide! 1 hits
18 16:52  DD Nereide Fore/aft hull hit *
18 16:52  B Deutschland-class fires 2 11in guns at BB Benbow! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:52  BB Benbow Secondary battery hit * Fire started
18 16:52  BB Helgoland-class fires 2 6in guns at BB Emperor of India! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:52  BB Emperor of India Turret hit T

18 16:52  DD Goldfinch has reattached to 1/2d Destroyer Flottilla
18 16:53   Enemy ship B Deutschland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 16:53  BB Nassau-class fires 8 11in guns at BB Iron Duke! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:53  BB Iron Duke Near miss!
18 16:53  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Benbow! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:53  BB Benbow Secondary battery hit *
18 16:53  CA Minotaur fires 4 9in guns at B Braunschweig-class! 1 hits
18 16:53  B Braunschweig-class Hit

18 16:55  CA Minotaur fires 4 9in guns at B Braunschweig-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:55  B Braunschweig-class Hit
18 16:56  B Deutschland-class fires 1 7in guns at DD Brisk! 1 hits
18 16:56  DD Brisk Hull hit B *
18 16:56  BB Erin fires 8 6in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:56  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:56  BB Benbow opens fire at B Deutschland-class!
18 16:56  BB Emperor of India opens fire at B Deutschland-class!
18 16:57  CA Drake fires 8 6in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:57  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:57  CA Natal fires 2 3in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:57  DD G37-class Hit
18 16:58  BB Audacious fires 4 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 16:58  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 16:58  B Deutschland-class opens fire at BB Monarch!
18 16:58  B Deutschland-class opens fire at CA Natal!
18 16:58  B Deutschland-class fires 2 11in guns at CA Natal! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 16:58  CA Natal Superstructure hit *
18 17:00  BB Conqueror fires 10 13in guns at B Braunschweig-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:00  B Braunschweig-class Hit
18 17:01  BB Iron Duke fires 6 6in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 17:01  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 17:01  B Deutschland-class fires 5 7in guns at CA Natal! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:01  CA Natal Hull hit BE *
18 17:01  B Deutschland-class fires 2 11in guns at CA Natal! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:01  CA Natal Hull hit BE *
18 17:01  B Deutschland-class fires 4 11in guns at BB Monarch! 1 hits
18 17:01  BB Monarch Turret hit T
18 17:01  DD Sheldrake is picking up survivors from DD V45
18 17:02  BB Iron Duke fires 10 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 17:02  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 17:02  BB Benbow fires 8 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
18 17:02  B Deutschland-class Hit
18 17:02  BB Conqueror fires 10 13in guns at B Braunschweig-class! 1 hits
18 17:02  B Braunschweig-class Hit
18 17:02  BB Monarch fires 4 13in guns at B Braunschweig-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:02  B Braunschweig-class Hit
18 17:02  B Deutschland-class fires 6 7in guns at BB Monarch! 1 hits
18 17:02  BB Monarch Turret hit T
18 17:03  CA Hampshire fires 1 6in guns at DD V162-class! 1 hits
18 17:03  DD V162-class Hit
18 17:03  CA Natal opens fire at B Deutschland-class!
18 17:03  DD Sheldrake is picking up survivors from DD V45
18 17:04  CA Natal fires 4 9in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 17:04  BB Thunderer fires 8 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:04  B Deutschland-class Hit

18 17:04  DD Sheldrake is picking up survivors from DD V45
18 17:05  B Deutschland-class fires 7 7in guns at BB Agincourt! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:05  BB Agincourt Engine room hit B
18 17:06  BC Princess Royal fires 6 13in guns at CL! 1 hits
18 17:06  CL Hit
18 17:06  DD G7-class fires 1 3in guns at DD Brisk! 1 hits
18 17:06  DD Brisk Fore/aft hull hit *
18 17:07  B Braunschweig-class fires 2 11in guns at BB Monarch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:07  BB Monarch Engine room hit B *
18 17:08   Enemy ship B Braunschweig-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:08  CL Blanche has lost sight of target
18 17:08  CA Natal has lost sight of target
18 17:08  CA Natal has lost sight of target
18 17:08  CA Natal fires 2 3in guns at DD G37-class! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 17:08  CA Hampshire has lost sight of target
18 17:08  CA Hampshire has lost sight of target
18 17:08  CL Galatea has lost sight of target
18 17:08  CL Galatea has lost sight of target
18 17:08  CA Drake has lost sight of target
18 17:08  CA Minotaur has lost sight of target
18 17:08  CA Minotaur has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Marlborough has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Iron Duke has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Emperor of India has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Benbow has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Bellerophon has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Temeraire has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Temeraire has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Dreadnought has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Erin has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Erin has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Agincourt has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Agincourt has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Thunderer opens fire at B Braunschweig-class!
18 17:08  BB Conqueror fires 10 13in guns at B Braunschweig-class! Target straddled!  3 hits
18 17:08  B Braunschweig-class Hit
18 17:08  BB Conqueror has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Conqueror has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Monarch opens fire at B Deutschland-class!
18 17:08  BB Monarch has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB King George V has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Audacious has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Colossus has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Neptune has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Hercules has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Hercules has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Collingwood has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Superb has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB St Vincent has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BB Vanguard has lost sight of target
18 17:08  BC Princess Royal has lost sight of target
18 17:09  BB Conqueror fires 4 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! 1 hits
1709   At nightfall, the German pre-dreadnoughts are completely isolated from the German battleships, which have disappeared in the darkness  to the SSE of the pre-dreadnought's position.  The lack of return fire from the  pre-dreadnoughts indicates that they have been neutralized.  Because of this, the Grand Fleet will continue bombarding them close range to ensure their sinking.  To guard against the German van from doubling back to the NW and surprising the fleet while it is engaged with the pre-dreadnoughts, he Battle cruisers will continue to sail to the ENE to establish contact with the German van, but will avoid engagement. See attached image

Tripoli

18 February Battlog-The Night Action

Although my plan was to disengage by nightfall, that was easier said than done.  Having crippled the pre-dreadnoughts, I decided to continue to engage them, while letting the German battleships go.  However, not wanting to be surprised by the Battleships doubling back to assist their pre-dreadnought comrades, I also initially decided to maintain contact, but  not engage the battleships, a task far easier said than done....

18 17:25  BB Centurion fires 8 4in guns at BB! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:25  BB Hit

18 17:25  BB fires 2 11in guns at BB Neptune! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:25  BB Neptune Superstructure passthrough hit *
18 17:25  B Deutschland-class fires 6 7in guns at BB Neptune! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:25  BB Neptune Hull hit BE
18 17:25  Unidentified ship fires 2 3in guns at BB Hercules! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:25  BB Hercules
18 17:26  BB Neptune is avoiding torpedoes!
18 17:26  BB Neptune is hit by a torpedo!

181726   Neptune being hit by a torpedo indicates the pre-dreadnoughts aren't as toothless as I thought......

1726   The Battlecruisers make contact with the German battleships.....
18 17:26  BB fires 6 11in guns at DD Goldfinch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:26  DD Goldfinch Fore/aft hull hit *
18 17:26  BB fires 2 6in guns at DD Cameleon! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:26  DD Cameleon Superstructure hit *
18 17:26  DD Cameleon Torpedo tubes hit Torpedo explodes!
18 17:26  BB fires 6 3in guns at DD Goldfinch! Target straddled!  4 hits
18 17:26  DD Goldfinch Near miss!
18 17:26  DD Goldfinch Turret hit T *
18 17:26  DD Goldfinch Turret hit T * Turret destroyed
18 17:26  DD Goldfinch Critical hit *! Machinery damaged!
18 17:27  BC Princess Royal fires 2 4in guns at CA! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:27  CA Hit
18 17:27  BB Nassau-class opens fire at CA Shannon!
18 17:27  BB Nassau-class fires 6 6in guns at DD Cameleon! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 17:27  DD Shark is laying smoke!
18 17:27  DD Lynx is laying smoke!
18 17:28  CL Galatea is laying smoke!
18 17:28  CL Comus is laying smoke!

18 17:28   Enemy ship BB Nassau-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:28   Enemy ship BB is hit by a torpedo!

18 17:28  BC Princess Royal sights an unknown ship.  Notably, the German force appears to be traveling to the NNW, so it may have been attempting to engage the portion of the fleet that was bombarding the German pre-dreadnoughts.  While my intention was merely to locate the German van, the torpedoing of two Battleships leaves the possibility of the British cutting off and sinking the damaged ships. Because of this possibility, I detach  eight battleships south towards the German battleships.  Over the next 45 minutes, a confused action develops, with the British Battlecruisers and this detached force suffering from accurate German gunfire and torpedoes.   Despite the effort to break off the action, it continues in fits and starts as units of the opposing fleets come into contact in the dark.  see attached image

18 17:28  CA Cochrane opens fire at BB Nassau-class!
18 17:28  BB Nassau-class Hit
18 17:28  BB Emperor of India fires 4 13in guns at B Deutschland-class! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 17:28  BC Queen Mary fires 4 13in guns at CA! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:28  CA Hit
18 17:28  Unidentified ship fires 6 12in guns at BC Princess Royal! 1 hits
18 17:28  BC Princess Royal Superstructure hit BE *
18 17:29  CA Shannon fires 4 9in guns at BB Nassau-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:29  BB Nassau-class Hit
18 17:29  CA Shannon fires 5 7in guns at BB! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:29  BB Hit
18 17:29  BB Nassau-class fires 6 11in guns at CA Shannon! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:29  CA Shannon Hull hit B *
18 17:29  CA Shannon Engine room hit B *
18 17:29  BB Nassau-class fires 6 6in guns at DD Cameleon! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 17:30  BB Neptune is avoiding torpedoes!
18 17:30  BC Queen Mary is launching torpedoes
18 17:30  BB Centurion is launching torpedoes
18 17:30  DD Acorn is launching torpedoes
18 17:30  DD Larne is launching torpedoes
18 17:30  BB Benbow is launching torpedoes
18 17:30  DD Acorn fires 2 4in guns at BB Nassau-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:30  BB Nassau-class Hit
18 17:30  DD Acorn fires 1 3in guns at BB Nassau-class! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 17:30  CA Shannon fires 5 7in guns at BB Nassau-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:30  BB Nassau-class Hit
18 17:30  BB Emperor of India fires 2 6in guns at BC! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:30  BC Hit
18 17:30  BC Queen Mary fires 8 13in guns at CL Bremen-class! 1 hits
18 17:30  CL Bremen-class Hit
18 17:30  BC Princess Royal fires 8 13in guns at DD V162-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:30  DD V162-class Hit
18 17:30  BC Princess Royal fires 8 4in guns at DD V162-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:30  Unidentified ship fires 2 3in guns at BB Neptune! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:30  BB Neptune  Critical hit. Bridge destroyed!
18 17:30  BC fires 2 11in guns at BB Benbow! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:30  BB Benbow Turret hit T *
18 17:30  BB Nassau-class fires 6 6in guns at DD Acorn! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:30  DD Acorn Fore/aft hull hit *
18 17:31  BB Centurion is avoiding torpedoes!
18 17:31  BB Centurion is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:31  BC Queen Mary is avoiding torpedoes!
18 17:31  BC Queen Mary is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:31  BB fires 6 3in guns at DD Acorn! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:31  DD Acorn Turret hit T * Turret disabled
18 17:31  DD V162-class fires 2 3in guns at BC Princess Royal! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:31  BC Princess Royal Superstructure hit *
18 17:31  BC fires 2 7in guns at BB Benbow! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:31  BB Benbow Fore/aft hull hit *
18 17:31  Unidentified ship fires 2 3in guns at BB Neptune! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:31  BB Neptune Superstructure hit *
18 17:31  BC Princess Royal fires 8 4in guns at DD V162-class! Target straddled!  3 hits
18 17:31  DD V162-class Hit
18 17:31  BB Audacious fires 2 4in guns at BC! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:31  BC Hit
18 17:31  BB King George V has lost sight of target
18 17:31  CA Shannon fires 4 9in guns at BB Nassau-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:31  BB Nassau-class Hit

18 17:32  CL Bremen-class fires 5 4in guns at DD Goldfinch! Target straddled!  3 hits
18 17:32  DD Goldfinch Hull hit B *
18 17:32  DD Goldfinch Near miss!
18 17:32  DD Goldfinch Near miss!
18 17:32  CL Bellona detaches to move independently against close enemy
18 17:33  BB Neptune has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 17:33  BB Nassau-class fires 2 6in guns at CA Cochrane! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:33  CA Cochrane Superstructure hit *
18 17:33  CL Bremen-class fires 5 4in guns at DD Goldfinch! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:33  DD Goldfinch Engine room hit B *
18 17:33  BB fires 6 6in guns at BC Princess Royal! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:33  BC Princess Royal Turret hit T
18 17:33  Unidentified ship fires 2 3in guns at BC Queen Mary! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:33  BC Queen Mary Superstructure hit BE
18 17:33  Unidentified ship fires 2 11in guns at BB Superb! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:33  BB Superb Engine room hit B *
18 17:33  BB Superb fires 4 12in guns at Unidentified ship! 1 hits
18 17:33  Unidentified ship Hit
18 17:33  BB Hercules fires 8 4in guns at DD V162-class! 1 hits
18 17:33  DD V162-class Hit
18 17:33  BB Neptune has lost sight of target
18 17:34  BB Neptune is avoiding torpedoes!
18 17:34  BB Neptune is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:34  CA Cochrane fires 3 9in guns at BB Nassau-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:34  BB Nassau-class Hit
18 17:34  BB Nassau-class Hit
18 17:34  CL Blanche fires 5 4in guns at DD! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:34  DD Hit
18 17:35  CA Cochrane fires 3 9in guns at BB Nassau-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:35  BB Nassau-class Hit
18 17:35  DD Staunch detaches to move independently against close enemy
18 17:36  CA Cochrane fires 3 9in guns at BB! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:36  BB Hit
18 17:36  BB Hit
18 17:42  CA Defence is avoiding torpedoes!
18 17:42  CA Defence is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:42  Critical hit! Rudder damaged
18 17:44  BB Neptune has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 17:46  CL Lowestoft fires 5 6in guns at CL Bremen-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:46  CL Bremen-class Hit
18 17:46  BC Indefatigable fires 8 4in guns at CL Bremen-class! 1 hits
18 17:47  CL Lowestoft fires 1 6in guns at CL Bremen-class! 1 hits
18 17:47  CL Bremen-class Hit
18 17:47  BB Vanguard has lost sight of target
18 17:47  BB St Vincent has lost sight of target
18 17:47  BB St Vincent has lost sight of target
18 17:47  BB Superb fires 4 12in guns at BB! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:47  BB Hit
18 17:47  BB Superb holds fire - uncertain identity
18 17:47  CL Blanche fires 5 4in guns at DD G7-class! Target straddled!  3 hits
18 17:47  DD G7-class Hit
18 17:47  BB Centurion limits flooding!
18 17:47  CL Lowestoft is laying smoke!
18 17:47  CA Cochrane detaches to move independently against close enemy
18 17:48  CA Defence has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 17:48  BB Neptune has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 17:48  BB Benbow has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 17:48  UNSIGHTED! opens fire at BC New Zealand!
18 17:48  UNSIGHTED! fires 8 11in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 17:48  UNSIGHTED! opens fire at BC New Zealand!
18 17:49  Unidentified ship fires 8 11in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:49  BC New Zealand Fore/aft hull hit *
18 17:49  Unidentified ship fires 5 6in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:49  BC New Zealand Turret hit T
18 17:49  Unidentified ship fires 6 12in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:49  BC New Zealand Engine room hit B *
18 17:49  BC New Zealand Superstructure hit *
18 17:49  Unidentified ship fires 7 6in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  3 hits
18 17:49  BC New Zealand Fore/aft hull hit *
18 17:49  BC New Zealand Superstructure hit BE *
18 17:49  BC New Zealand Superstructure hit *
18 17:50  BC New Zealand is avoiding torpedoes!
18 17:50  BC New Zealand is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:50  BC New Zealand sights an unknown ship
18 17:50  BC New Zealand identifies unknown ship as BB
18 17:50  BC New Zealand identifies unknown ship as BB
18 17:50  BC New Zealand identifies unknown ship as DD
18 17:50  BB fires 8 11in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  3 hits
18 17:50  BC New Zealand Hull hit BE *
18 17:50  BC New Zealand Engine room hit B *
18 17:50  BC New Zealand Engine room hit B *
18 17:50  BB fires 5 6in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:50  BC New Zealand Hull hit BE Armor pushed in
18 17:50  Unidentified ship fires 8 11in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:50  BC New Zealand Secondary battery hit * Fire started
18 17:50  Unidentified ship fires 6 6in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:50  BC New Zealand Fore/aft hull hit *
18 17:50  BC New Zealand Secondary battery hit *
18 17:50  CA Defence limits flooding!
18 17:50  DD Cockatrice detaches to move independently against close enemy
18 17:51  CA Defence has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 17:51  BB Benbow has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
-class! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 17:51  DD Cockatrice fires 3 4in guns at DD G7-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:51  DD G7-class Hit
18 17:51  Unidentified ship fires 6 6in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:51  BC New Zealand Secondary battery hit *
18 17:51  DD Goldfinch machinery repaired!
18 17:51  BB King George V Turret back in action!
18 17:51  BB Neptune limits flooding!
18 17:51  CA Defence limits flooding!
18 17:51  BC Queen Mary limits flooding!
18 17:52  CA Defence has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 17:52  BB Collingwood identifies DD as G37-class
18 17:52  DD Larne identifies MS as V162-class
18 17:52  CL Lowestoft identifies BB as Nassau-class
18 17:52  BB Nassau-class fires 8 11in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:52  BC New Zealand Secondary battery hit *
18 17:52  BC New Zealand Secondary battery hit *
18 17:53  BC Princess Royal fires 6 13in guns at BB! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:53  BB Hit
18 17:53  BB fires 8 11in guns at BC New Zealand! 1 hits
18 17:53  BC New Zealand Hull hit BE *
18 17:53  BC New Zealand limits flooding!
18 17:53  BB Benbow Fire spreads
18 17:53  BB Neptune limits flooding!
18 17:53  BC Queen Mary limits flooding!
18 17:54  BB Neptune has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 17:54  BB Benbow has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 17:54  BB fires 5 6in guns at BC Princess Royal! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:54  BC Princess Royal Hull hit BE Armor pushed in
18 17:54  BC Princess Royal Hull hit BE
18 17:55  BC Princess Royal is avoiding torpedoes!
18 17:55  BC Princess Royal is hit by a torpedo!
18 17:55  BB fires 8 11in guns at BC Princess Royal! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:55  BC Princess Royal Turret hit T *
18 17:55  BB fires 5 6in guns at DD Sandfly! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:55  DD Sandfly Near miss! Machinery damaged by splinters!
18 17:55  DD Sandfly Fore/aft hull hit *
18 17:55  BB fires 7 6in guns at BC Princess Royal! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 17:55  BC Princess Royal Turret hit T Turret disabled
18 17:55  BC Princess Royal Superstructure hit BE *
18 17:55  BC Princess Royal fires 6 13in guns at BB! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:55  BB Hit

By 1755, the dagmage to the British ships is sufficient that I break off the engagement.  I believe the Royal Navy has put at least two of the Battleships in sinking condition, but the Grand Fleet must break off and attempt to save its damaged ships.

18 17:55  BC New Zealand has lost sight of target
18 17:55  CL Lowestoft has lost sight of target
18 17:55  BB Vanguard has lost sight of target
18 17:55  BB St Vincent has lost sight of target
18 17:55  BB Superb has lost sight of target
18 17:55  BB Collingwood has lost sight of target
18 17:55  BB Hercules has lost sight of target
18 17:55  BB Neptune has lost sight of target
18 17:55  BB Colossus Turret jammed!
18 17:55  BB Audacious has lost sight of target
18 17:55  BB Ajax has lost sight of target
18 17:59  BB fires 6 12in guns at DD Goshawk! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 17:59  DD Goshawk Hull hit B *
18 17:59  BC Princess Royal limits flooding!
18 17:59  BB Centurion high speed increases flooding!
18 17:59  BC Queen Mary limits flooding!
18 18:00  CA Defence has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:00  CL Blanche is laying smoke!
18 18:00  BB Benbow has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:00  CL Inconstant is laying smoke!
18 18:00  CL Comus is laying smoke!
18 18:00  BB King George V is avoiding torpedoes!
18 18:00  BB Agincourt sights an unknown ship
18 18:00  DD Tigress is sinking!
18 18:01  BC Princess Royal high speed increases flooding!
18 18:01  BC New Zealand Fire spreads
18 18:01  BB Centurion limits flooding!
18 18:01  BB Neptune limits flooding!
18 18:01  BC Queen Mary limits flooding!
18 18:02  CA Defence has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:03  BB Benbow has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:03  DD Goshawk is sinking!
18 18:05  CA Defence has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:05  BB Neptune has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:05  BB Benbow has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:05  BB Erin is avoiding torpedoes!
18 18:05  BB Erin is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:07  BB Nassau-class fires 8 11in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:07  BC New Zealand Turret hit T * Turret destroyed
18 18:08  Unidentified ship fires 8 11in guns at BB Audacious! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:08  BB Audacious Hull passthrough hit *
18 18:08  BB Hercules holds fire - uncertain identity
18 18:08  BB Neptune holds fire - uncertain identity
18 18:08  BB Colossus holds fire - uncertain identity
18 18:10  CL Comus is avoiding torpedoes!
18 18:10  CL Comus is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:10  Unidentified ship fires 3 4in guns at DD Christopher! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:10  DD Christopher Superstructure hit BE *
18 18:10  BB Nassau-class fires 6 6in guns at DD Ambuscade! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:10  DD Ambuscade Near miss! Gun crew cut down by splinters!
18 18:10  BB Nassau-class fires 6 6in guns at CL Lowestoft! Target straddled!  5 hits
18 18:10  CL Lowestoft
18 18:10  CL Lowestoft Superstructure hit BE * Fire started
18 18:10  CL Lowestoft Engine room hit B
18 18:10  CL Lowestoft Near miss!
18 18:10  CL Lowestoft Superstructure hit *
18 18:10  BB Nassau-class fires 6 3in guns at DD Ambuscade! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:10  DD Ambuscade Superstructure hit BE *
18 18:10  BB Helgoland-class fires 2 3in guns at DD Sandfly! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 18:10  BC opens fire at BB Audacious!
18 18:10  BC Princess Royal high speed increases flooding!
18 18:10  CL Comus has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:10  CL Comus has been detached because of heavy flooding.
18 18:11  CA Defence has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:11  BB Benbow has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:11  DD Christopher identifies unknown ship as CL
18 18:11  CL Lowestoft is launching torpedoes
18 18:11  UNSIGHTED! fires 6 11in guns at BB Audacious! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 18:11  BB Helgoland-class opens fire at DD Ambuscade!
18 18:11  BB Nassau-class fires 6 6in guns at DD Ambuscade! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:11  DD Ambuscade Hull hit B *
18 18:11  BB Nassau-class fires 6 6in guns at CL Lowestoft! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 18:11  CL Lowestoft Hull hit BE *
18 18:11  CL Lowestoft Superstructure hit *

Tripoli

18 February Night Action

1811   In a final contact, the British Fleet again comes into contact with a squadron of Battleships.  Despite its damaged condition, the High Seas Fleet continues to exact a heavy toll with gunfire and torpedoes.

18 18:11  BB Emperor of India fires 10 13in guns at BC! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 18:11  BC Hit
18 18:11  BB Marlborough fires 10 13in guns at BC! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:11  BB Marlborough fires 6 6in guns at BC! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:11  BB Neptune is sinking!
18 18:11  DD Goshawk has sunk!
18 18:13  CL Comus has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:13  BB Erin has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:13  DD Tigress has sunk!
18 18:14  CL Comus has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:14  CA Defence has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:14  BB Agincourt fires 12 12in guns at BB! Target straddled!  3 hits
18 18:14  BB Vanguard fires 8 4in guns at CL Gazelle-class! 1 hits
18 18:14  CL Gazelle-class Superstructure hit. Mines explode! Ship blows up!
18 18:15  CL Comus has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:15  BB Erin has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:15  CL Galatea sights an unknown ship
18 18:16  BB Audacious fires 10 13in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  4 hits
18 18:17  CL Comus has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:17  BB Benbow has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:17  BC Indefatigable has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:17  B fires 8 12in guns at BC Indefatigable! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:17  BC Indefatigable  Critical hit. Bridge destroyed!
18 18:17  BB Nassau-class fires 8 11in guns at BC New Zealand! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:17  BC New Zealand Superstructure hit *
18 18:17  BB Nassau-class fires 6 6in guns at DD Sandfly! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:17  DD Sandfly ## Hull hit B *
18 18:17  BB opens fire at BC New Zealand!
18 18:17  BB fires 6 11in guns at BC New Zealand! 1 hits
18 18:17  BC New Zealand Turret hit T * Turret destroyed
18 18:17  BB fires 6 6in guns at DD Sandfly! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 18:17  DD Sandfly ## Near miss!
18 18:17  DD Sandfly ## Critical hit *! Machinery damaged!
18 18:17  BC Indefatigable fires 8 4in guns at BB Nassau-class! Target straddled!  3 hits
18 18:17  BB Audacious fires 10 13in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:17  BB Helgoland-class Hit
18 18:17  CA Defence limits flooding!
18 18:17  BB Erin high speed increases flooding!
18 18:17  DD Sandfly has sunk!
18 18:17  DD Cockatrice has reattached to 1/4th Destroyer Flotilla
18 18:17  BC New Zealand has been detached due to heavy damage
18 18:18  BC Australia is avoiding torpedoes!
18 18:18  BC Australia is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:18  Turret destroyed
18 18:18  BC Indefatigable is avoiding torpedoes!
18 18:18  BC Indefatigable is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:18  BB Audacious fires 4 13in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:18  BB Helgoland-class Hit
18 18:18  BB Erin high speed increases flooding!
18 18:19  CA Defence has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:19   Enemy ship B Deutschland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:19  BB Vanguard identifies DD as V162-class
18 18:19  BB Bellerophon is launching torpedoes
18 18:19  CA Shannon opens fire at BB Helgoland-class!
18 18:19  BB Emperor of India fires 8 13in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 18:19  BC Indefatigable fires 8 4in guns at BB! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:19  BB Hit
18 18:19  DD Nereide is laying smoke!
18 18:20  BB Erin has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:20  BB Benbow has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:20  BB Emperor of India fires 8 13in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:20  BB Helgoland-class Hit
18 18:21  BB Erin has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:21  BC Indefatigable has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:21  BC Indefatigable is launching torpedoes
18 18:21  BB Marlborough fires 10 13in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:21  BB Helgoland-class Hit
18 18:21  BB Emperor of India fires 8 13in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  3 hits
18 18:21  BB Audacious fires 10 13in guns at BB Nassau-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:21  BB Nassau-class Hit
18 18:21  BB Audacious fires 2 4in guns at BB! Target straddled!  0 hits
18 18:21  BB Collingwood fires 2 12in guns at DD V162-class! 1 hits
18 18:21  DD V162-class Hit
18 18:21  BB Vanguard opens fire at DD!
18 18:21  BB Vanguard fires 2 12in guns at DD! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:21  DD Hit
18 18:21  BC Australia high speed increases flooding!
18 18:21  CA Defence high speed increases flooding!
18 18:22  CL Comus has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:22  BB Benbow has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:22  BB Marlborough fires 10 13in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  4 hits
18 18:22  BB Helgoland-class Hit
18 18:22  BB Helgoland-class Hit
18 18:23  BB Benbow has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:23  BB Audacious is avoiding torpedoes!
18 18:23  BB Benbow is sinking!
18 18:25  BB Helgoland-class fires 7 6in guns at CA Cochrane! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:25  CA Cochrane Hull hit BE
18 18:26  CL Comus has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:26   Enemy ship B Deutschland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:26   Enemy ship B Deutschland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:26  BB Hercules fires 4 12in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:26  BB Helgoland-class Hit
18 18:27  BB St Vincent fires 8 4in guns at BB Nassau-class! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 18:27  BB Nassau-class Hit
18 18:35  BC Indefatigable has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:35  BB Erin has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:35   Enemy ship BB is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:36  BB Emperor of India is avoiding torpedoes!
18 18:36  BB Emperor of India is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:39  BC Indefatigable has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:39  BB Vanguard fires 2 12in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:39  BB Helgoland-class Hit
18 18:40  BB fires 2 6in guns at BB Vanguard! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:40  BB Vanguard Secondary battery hit *
18 18:40  CL Caroline is laying smoke!
18 18:41  BC Indefatigable has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:41  BB Erin has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:42  BB Marlborough fires 10 13in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:42  BB Helgoland-class Hit
18 18:44   Enemy ship BB Helgoland-class is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:44  BB Emperor of India is avoiding torpedoes!
18 18:44  BB King George V fires 6 13in guns at BB! 1 hits
18 18:45  BB Helgoland-class fires 2 12in guns at BB Vanguard! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:45  BB Vanguard Turret hit T * Turret destroyed
18 18:45  BB fires 6 6in guns at BB King George V! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:45  BB King George V Turret hit T
18 18:45  BB Superb fires 8 12in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:45  BB Helgoland-class Hit
18 18:45  BB King George V fires 8 4in guns at BB! Target straddled!  3 hits
18 18:45  BB Hit
18 18:49  BB fires 6 11in guns at BB King George V! Target straddled!  2 hits
18 18:49  BB King George V Hull hit B *
18 18:49  BB King George V Turret hit T * Turret destroyed
18 18:50  BB Monarch bulkhead ruptures! Flooding increases!
18 18:52  CA Defence is sinking!
18 18:52  DD Brisk is laying smoke!
18 18:53  BB Erin has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 18:53  BC Indefatigable has been detached because of heavy flooding.
18 18:54   Enemy ship BB is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:54   Enemy ship BB is hit by a torpedo!
18 18:55  BB Superb fires 6 12in guns at BB Helgoland-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 18:55  BB Helgoland-class Hit
18 18:56  BB Neptune has sunk!
18 19:12  BB Bellerophon fires 8 12in guns at BB Nassau-class! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 19:12  BB Nassau-class Hit
18 19:22  BB Nassau-class Hit
18 19:24  DD Lurcher bulkhead ruptures! Flooding increases!
18 19:32  BB Bellerophon fires 2 12in guns at BB! Target straddled!  1 hits
18 19:32  BB Hit
18 19:40  BC Indefatigable has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
18 19:44  BB Benbow is sinking and has been detached
18 20:03  BC New Zealand has sunk!
18 20:32  BB Benbow has sunk!
18 20:45  CA Defence has sunk!
18 21:56  BB Emperor of India bulkhead ruptures! Flooding increases!
18 22:38  BB Monarch is sinking!
18 23:53  CL Apollo is commencing to lay mines!
18 23:53  CL Intrepid is commencing to lay mines!
19 00:13  CL Intrepid has finished laying mines!
19 00:13  CL Apollo has finished laying mines!
19 00:13  Objective Lay minefield with 1 ships (any ship) Accomplished!
19 00:41  BC Indefatigable has been detached because of heavy flooding.
19 00:43  BB Monarch has sunk!
19 01:23  BC Princess Royal bulkhead ruptures! Flooding increases!
19 03:07  DD Lapwing bulkhead ruptures! Flooding increases!
19 03:09  DD Ambuscade machinery repaired!
19 06:42  BC Indefatigable has been detached because of heavy flooding.
19 06:45  DD Lapwing is sinking!
19 07:05  DD Lapwing has sunk!
19 14:57  BC Indefatigable has reduced speed due to heavy flooding!
20 01:00  CA Natal bulkhead ruptures! Flooding increases!
20 01:02  CA Natal limits flooding!
20 05:22  CA Natal is sinking!
20 06:29  CA Natal has sunk!

Tripoli

Aftermath and Analysis

The final result for this action was a German victory.  The Royal Navy sank 2 BB, 6 B, 1 CL and 9 DDs, with heavy damage to an additional 2 BBs and 1 B.  In exchange, the Royal Navy lost 3 BBs, 1 BC, 2 CA and 4 DD, with another 3 BB, 2 BC, 2 CL and 3 DDs heavily damaged (see attached).  This action illustrates why Jellicoe did not want to fight the Germans at night.  He correctly determined that night fighting neutralized the superior British numbers.  Had the engagement taken place at medium to long range, the Royal Navy's overwhelming advantage in numbers would have easily resulted in a decisive victory.  However, at night, the German torpedo capability evened the odds, inflicting heavy British losses in dreadnoughts.

Sir Slash

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus