To clip or not to clip...

Started by JudgeDredd, August 31, 2016, 09:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I find I have to re-read the rules and set up the board and run a few turns each time I break out a game to play that I haven't touched in a few months.

Still haven't quite figured out all of the nuances of Empire of the Sun or Plan Orange yet despite many attempts.

Barth, when are we doing Orange PBEM?

Bison

Barthheart

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 19, 2016, 11:55:16 AM
Barth, when are we doing Orange PBEM?

Not sure. Cold weather is coming I'll be heading indoors soon. I still have no idea how to play even after reading the rules a bunch of times. If yer ok with learn me the game we can give it a bash.

We have to use the unclipped counters in VASSAL though....  :knuppel2:

Barthheart

Oh, and I'm at UBC this week.  ;)

Silent Disapproval Robot

We should grab a pint!  How long are you in town for?     

Barthheart

Got here today and leave Friday morning. Working/meetings all day Tues, Wed, Thurs. Usually off about 5 pm.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Bugger. I'm stuck on shift until Friday.

Barthheart

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on September 18, 2016, 04:10:35 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 18, 2016, 11:55:59 AM
Quote from: Bison on September 16, 2016, 05:03:56 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 16, 2016, 04:59:09 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on September 16, 2016, 09:49:28 AM
I am pretty sure there isn't anyone without OCD here  ;D

So very true.

I'm not OCD, but I dig that you blokes are it gives me aspirations to fix my broken counters.

We all know you're a compulsive sleever.

This is very true.  I do love card sleeves and people who abuse their cards by shuffling without them are heathens.

That would be me  O0
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JudgeDredd

I couldn't imagine anything worse than cards in "sleeves"  :o
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 20, 2016, 12:21:25 AM
I couldn't imagine anything worse than cards in "sleeves"  :o

It's just putting the appropriate 'Jimmy Hat' on your floppy bits.    :))   

I prefer not to do it, except for two cases. 

1) Due to the manufacturing quality being a bit poor (cut unevenly, chipping or fraying at the side, etc)

2) If I expect to be playing them, regularly, with other people who are less careful about keeping them in good shape than I.  Excessive bending, those who don't wash their hands - powdered cheese monsters, and those prone to spilling shit on them, for example.  Less worry about them being damage & marked, and less need for slop intervention. 

Bison

Sleeves really become a requirement for certain games IMO.  For example, I sleeve my MtG and Dominion cards not because any one card is necessarily overly valuable.  Rather both games require cards to be shuffled hundreds of times.   This inevitably leads to markings on the cards that allow for them to be identified in the stack.  The use of sleeves helps to reduce this.  Additionally some MtG cards are double-sided so they cannot just be shuffled into the deck..  And frankly I'd rather spend a few extra $ so I don't have to repurchase the entire game or search for a particular card replacement. 

However, all that being said.  The wife and I each have a pre-constructed intro deck for MtG, which we haven't sleeved.  And we've played exclusively with those decks for our last few MtG games.  However, I can see me eventually convulsing on the floor with twitching because of the card abuse.

GJK

I sleeved the Action Deck cards of my original copy of Up Front and played with those dozens of times.  Shuffling was no problems as the sleeves make it easy to "weave" shuffle them.  However I've since picked up an Action Deck from WGV and I leave them unsleaved and also use a hand crank card shuffler for them (it's so much fun!).  Can't use the shuffler with sleeves on the cards.

And yes Brant, my 3rd copy of Up Front sits completely unused and shall be sealed in my coffin with me when the time comes.  ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on September 21, 2016, 08:22:47 PMAnd yes Brant, my 3rd copy of Up Front sits completely unused and shall be sealed in my coffin with me when the time comes.  ;)

le sigh...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

This should make all you heathens' heads explode! Behold the sharp square corners... and the Side Nib!

Bet yer devil machines would choke trying to clip those thick counters. O0

Look like a cool game though...
https://hollandspiele.com/products/agricola-master-of-britain