Snowmageddon!

Started by mirth, February 07, 2013, 05:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I mean this in all seriousness.  If I was going to be stuck at home because of this storm, I would let my office get nice and cold, I'd bundle up, and I'd play Skyrim. 

Talk about immersive!

I'm not joking- I really would do that. 

But, I think a lot of you guys are going to lose power from all the wind, so maybe cooling off the house prematurely isn't such a hot idea (ooooh I made a nice pun there).
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

Quote from: Centurion40 on February 07, 2013, 09:09:54 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 07, 2013, 07:18:36 PM
I'm in the 12" to 18" or 18" to 24" myself, depending on what forecast one follows. Interesting times...

THey haven't broken it to us yet, how bad it will be. It'll probably be close to Mirthland.

I keep forgetting that there are Canadians who live south of Mirth while still being in Canada. As a matter of fact, you've almost got him surrounded.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Toonces on February 07, 2013, 10:40:19 PM

But, I think a lot of you guys are going to lose power from all the wind, so maybe cooling off the house prematurely isn't such a hot idea (ooooh I made a nice pun there).

Yeah that is not going to be very good especially if the utility crews can't get to problems until the roads are clear.  I'm also worried about any trees and poles that were weakened by hurricane Sandy coming the rest of the way down.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mirth

Up here the storm wasn't supposed to really get going until this afternoon, but I woke up to 2-3 inches on the ground already and it's snowing moderately.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Toonces on February 07, 2013, 07:29:56 PMI suppose I'll just keep my local weather forecast to myself.   8)

Drone strikes can find Hawaii, too

just sayin'
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Shelldrake

Looks like 40 Cents and I will be digging like badgers on Sunday. Current prediction for Halifax is up to 40 cm snow with wind gust to 80 kph on Saturday but I have a feeling it will be worse than predicted.

See ya in the cardiac ward 40 Cents!  ;)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

MIGMaster

Shell, get 40 Cent to drop over with his Ariens and he'll get ya cleared out! I'm ready to go with my 10.5 hp modded up Craftsman - I was thinking about painting a P-40 style shark's mouth and eyes on the side and invasion stripes on the handles   ;D

Centurion40

I just got the snowblower back from the shop yesterday- THANK CHRIST!!  No cardiac ward for me, unless the snowblower quits (again) and I blow a gasket!

So long as the power stays on, I'll game or watch TV.

No snow here yet, the sun is shining.  But we usually get what mirth gets, only 8-12 hours later.

The blizzard warning is in effect:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ns-19_metric_e.html

Any time is a good time for pie.

Centurion40

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 08, 2013, 08:03:58 AM
Shell, get 40 Cent to drop over with his Ariens and he'll get ya cleared out! I'm ready to go with my 10.5 hp modded up Craftsman - I was thinking about painting a P-40 style shark's mouth and eyes on the side and invasion stripes on the handles   ;D

You soooo need to do that!
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

I'm now in the 20-26" band. The storm developed here sooner than expected yesterday.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

We have 6 inches of snow in Portland now and this thing has barely started.

mirth

Apparently this is winter storm Nemo. I choose to think of Capt Nemo and not that stupid fish.

LongBlade

We managed to wake up to close to two inches of snow and a school cancellation this morning. It's already melted on the streets, but if that's any indication of how well the forecasts are working, y'all are in for more than expected.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

OJsDad

And all of our snow is melting   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

There's already been a 19-vehicle crash on I-295 just north of Portland. No serious injuries reported, thankfully. I don't envy the people who went into work this morning and are now going to fight their way back home. I was out briefly this morning and the roads were awful.