Drew Peterson murders

Started by Toonces, February 22, 2013, 04:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longdan

The problem is the justice system works really well for people who can get the right kind
of assistance from that same system.  Those that can't do not always find the system works very well.
Most civilised countries have dispensed with this penalty as a result.  Many have gone too far the other
way.  Here in Canada you can commit a premeditated murder, and with the right legal outcome walk the streets
again after about seven years.  That is just as ridiculous.  Once again, as with other issues, a prolonged and honest
debate over solutions seems to be the best ongoing answer rather than simply taking a stand on what somebody
thinks is right or wrong.  That is just my opinion.  Some people do not like open debate.  Maybe they should try
living somewhere that does not allow it or where a majority smothers it.  Democracy sucks when you are on the
receiving end but it is better than some of the options.  To paraphrase Sir Winston.
^^However some, as I just saw, would sponsor large scale state sponsored murder.  With the legal system currently in place
just imagine the outcome.  I see the death penalty for illegal parking in places like Boston.
BTW Steelie this went up before I saw yours.

digni enim sunt interdicunt

Steelgrave

LongBlade

Toonces and Steelie have encapsulated perfectly the opposing sides on the issue.

An imperfect justice system means that any verdict with the irreversibility of death is troublesome.

OTOH, the lack of real, immediate impact and the rarity of its occurrence means the death penalty has little influence on people committing crime.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Longdan

When death gets reversible I will be all for it for most crimes.
Especially texting while driving and religious conveyance.
digni enim sunt interdicunt