Linux issue with mount.ntfs

Started by Staggerwing, March 16, 2013, 07:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I decided to install Steam on my Ubuntu box to get a feel for Linux gaming in preparation for trying out various linux distros (and how they would play with Steam) :). First I upgraded Ubunto to 12.10 and then I D/Led Steam and installed it. The install seemed to take a loooooong time  ???. Then I started to install Day of Defeat-Source. I opened up the system monitor beforehand and noticed that the program mount.ntfs seems to peg my cpu use to the wall  :o. I googled the issue and found many others with this problem, especially those who dual-boot with Windows  >:(. The suggestions all seemed rather complicated, involving the dreaded black box window for at least part of the problem.  :(

Do any of you linux old hands know an easy way to deal with this? Or should I just ditch the idea of dual boot and reformat my drive to another format that doesn't require mount.ntfs to run? :-\
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

junk2drive

No idea what to do. Since no one has answered, here is the Ubuntu forum if you don't already have it

http://ubuntuforums.org/forum.php

I have had better luck google searching for answers than using the Ubuntu forum search tool.

You might poke around the Gaming and Leisure subforum.

I'm not a fan of dual booting unless you want to test alpha and beta builds of OSs

Staggerwing

Yeah, I googled a bit and most of the suggestions seem beyond my current level of understanding. Thanks for the response. I may have to wipe the rig and install just linux in whatever file format is most efficient. Hopefully it will prompt me when formatting and partitioning.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

junk2drive

The installer should ask you if you want to wipe the drive and only install Ubuntu or install it along side another OS.

ext4 is the latest file system IIRC.

The last install I did was 12.04 and it did everything for me if I didn't know what to do. Earlier versions you had to know what was / and /home and /mount and /boot all the other file locations.