Total War: Warhammer

Started by Rayfer, July 17, 2015, 10:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on January 25, 2018, 11:06:40 PM
Hrmm.. what does that say about me preferring to be the baddies?  :-"

Nazi kit is fun, as most of us here agree. Play those Chaos Lords!  :bd: :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Gus, could be the book's on a high shelf and you're too short to reach it.  ;D  Try using a ladder.  :hide:  Sorry, I couldn't resist. You know somebody would've said if I hadn't so....  I'm sticking with Warhammer 1 for the time being. The price tag for WTW 2 is too steep for my tastes. Plus I hear there are quite a few changes that come with WTW 2? Are your 'saved games' OK to use when you switch to the new game?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Oh. I thought you were playing the Mortal Empires Campaign. My bad. Anybody else finding Autoresolve for battles kind of a crap shoot as to winning? If you've got the numbers, you've got the win but if it's close, anything can happen.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 26, 2018, 03:19:42 PM
Oh. I thought you were playing the Mortal Empires Campaign. My bad. Anybody else finding Autoresolve for battles kind of a crap shoot as to winning? If you've got the numbers, you've got the win but if it's close, anything can happen.

Would it be normal
for autoresolve, if you
always won close fights?  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 26, 2018, 07:22:17 AM
The Tomb Kings are interesting race to play. I haven't really delved into the m3chaincs that are unique to them, but in terms of units, I'm finding them a mixed bag. The low level rank and file units are extremely weak, but these do improve with time and research. The higher tier units start to get stronger and the giants are absolutely devastating. In the campaign, I started with a war Sphinx that is absolutely dynamite. The thing is unstoppable and just tears through enemy formations. It's turned a losing battle to victory on more than one occasion.

Spent some Mortal Empires campaign & battle time with the Tomb Kings.  They definitely have a unique play style.

In battle, those three progressively lengthy army-wide heals are essential to winning battles.  Since that progress bar only goes up by the Tomb King player losing troops in battle, it can potentially be a balancing act later on in the campaign when you have access to more higher tier units.  If you try to put all your high-tier units in one army, as opposed to splitting your limited quantities around, you probably won't trigger the full potential of all three big army heals in it's battles.  Especially since the higher tiers, and all the Constructs you'll be using as your hammer, have far fewer troops in each unit alongside being more difficult to kill . 

In other words, you can get a lot of mileage out of those shitty little "meat shield" units with high troop counts.  It's ideal to toss them in and have them die in large quantities, to an extent, because that's how those big army regeneration buffs get triggered. 

Finding the ideal sweet spot for an individual army's quantity will be a challenge, once a bunch of better units has been unlocked.  My first few battles, in which my army was chock full of junk meat shield units notably worse than my opponent's lowest line units, were alarming.  My line was getting killed so fast, and the flags flashing from wavering all over the place.  Thought I was going to lose in record time.  Yet they were dying so fast, the army regen buffs just kept coming one after another.  I was amazed at how long they hung in there with just a sliver of a health bar left.  It was enough time to let my sphinx, leader, and chariots work 'em down.  Then use the fourth unlock from dying troops, summoning a unit of Ushabti (it's a Settra campaign) anywhere on the battlefield for more beatdown. 

A couple/three battles later, a few of my meat shield units had been killed off in a previous battle with no time to recruit more when yet another army attacked me (the TWW AI is definitely aggressive!)  My regen bar didn't go up very quickly.  I really missed the extra cannon fodder.  It took longer between regens, and I never got to the final unit summon.   :-\  Lost some more units because of it.  Made me realize I gotta feed the beast a steady diet of warm (cold) bodies.   :cowboy:

I also didn't think money would be too much of an issue, at first.  Despite not having much per turn, it looked like you only used it on buying buildings and the occasional unlock.  The regular units don't cost anything for recruitment or upkeep, so I got too cocky about it.  Now I'm already scraping for gold to keep up with my population growth unlocking buildings.  It's tight.  Canopic Jars also, since most of those will have to be gained from one of the winning battle options, and occupying cities.

Also had to turtle pretty hard for the first 15 turns, while researching the unlock to my 2nd army.  Was under assault for awhile, and didn't take a single city until about that time.  Now that I have a 2nd army building up, and I'm beginning to unlock better units, things are starting to move at a good pace ~18 turns in.  Still feel it won't be fully humming along until I get some buildings for recruiting more Constructs up.  The big construct unit or two you get at the beginning will have to carry a lot of the offensive burden until that happens (so definitely keep it alive!)

Diplomacy will be essential.  Not only for getting the resources required to build magic items and unlock special units.  It will be a larger part of the Tomb Kings' small income per turn.  Plus having your number of armies limited will probably mean you need to be very good at making Non-Aggression Pacts with neighbors you don't expect to fight for a bit.  Due to possibly having fewer armies to move about, to help defend, than the aggressive AI has around you.

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 26, 2018, 09:51:34 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 25, 2018, 11:06:40 PM
Hrmm.. what does that say about me preferring to be the baddies?  :-"

Nazi kit is fun, as most of us here agree. Play those Chaos Lords!  :bd: :hide:

The Chaos & Norsca factions are probably the least interesting to me.  *shrug*  They're like the baddies' generic roster to me.   :))

In TWW1 it was all about the Vamp Lords and Greenskins near the top of my list.

TWW2 is Delves and Tomb Kings catching my eye. Would be Skaven, too, but their mechanics will take much more getting accustomed to.

They all look fun.  Even the ones I consider less interesting roster-wise.

The faction roster stats seem to be a bit higher in TWW2 now.  There may be a little power creep with it, unfortunately.  I think the dwarves may still hold up alright, being so tough.  Not sure about the others.  The Lizard Men units look ridiculously strong, with few weaknesses, across the board.  :o

Gusington

My first play through with II will be The Delves! Also my band name.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Warhammer Necrons:
"Perfectly fair and balanced!"
--except, they might be?!  :o

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on January 26, 2018, 08:54:24 PM
The Chaos & Norsca factions are probably the least interesting to me.  *shrug*  They're like the baddies' generic roster to me.   :))

Did you just call the
Chaos demons generic
compared to the Orks?!  :knuppel2:

JasonPratt

Updated Steel Faith!
-- submods may not be ready.
Subnautica then.

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 26, 2018, 11:53:04 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 26, 2018, 08:54:24 PM

Did you just call the
Chaos demons generic
compared to the Orks?!  :knuppel2:

Of course!  I mean, Chaos has more than the Norscans, but they just look like a bunch of big bearded guys to me.   :P

Do they have a suicide glider-goblin slinging catapult?  Nooooo!   :))  Plus the voice overs for the goblin shamans are da best in da game.

JasonPratt

Orkan voiceovers
are admittedly the best
as a normal rule.  O0

CptHowdy

been playing this for a couple of days now. started as dwarves. i have auto resolved every battle except for one that wouldnt allow it! been looking at the workshop for mods. is steel faith THE mod to get? any thoughts on Radious mod? thanks.

Gusington

I have no mods running right now. I still have so much to learn I didn't want mods to mess me up.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd