Total War: Warhammer

Started by Rayfer, July 17, 2015, 10:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Freyland on December 09, 2016, 08:32:35 PM
Going to humbly disagree Nefero, at least on one point-- vanilla garrisons are such a pushover that you might as well not have then in the game. Seriously, 5-12 peons are not going to stand up to 20 unit armies.

Actually, another "must"; without a mod allowing tier IV buildings minor settlements you are not going to see advanced units from the AI.

I disagree with raising garrisons further.  it'll just make the AI camp with it's 20 army, adding it to the garrisons again.. which has been a problem in the past.

Gusington

This is the Total War thread! No disagreeing  :coolsmiley:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Freyland

I am confused. I would have thought raising the garrisons would have the opposite effect on the computer. The computer camps in its cities because it does not feel like it can protect them any other way. Higher Garrison's means safer cities

undercovergeek

The opening scenes of the tutorial where I realised I was actually in charge of warhammer troops made me giggle like a little girl

Nefaro

Quote from: Freyland on December 10, 2016, 02:55:59 PM
I am confused. I would have thought raising the garrisons would have the opposite effect on the computer. The computer camps in its cities because it does not feel like it can protect them any other way. Higher Garrison's means safer cities

Well... the cities have an actual garrison building available for construction, meant for specifically adding more troops. 

Raising garrison sizes would just be taking it's place, making the decision to use these build-able garrison buffs less relevant.  I actually build the garrison building in cities under threat where I can't get my armies to very quickly.  Makes sense, to me, having to lose some extra income or production in order to increase the size and makes for some tough build choices in newly acquired territory.

If the garrisons need a default buff of any kind, it would be to make the troop quality a bit better on average.  However, garrison troops already get stat bonuses during siege battles in TWarhammer.  I know they get Leadership (aka Morale) buffs at the least, and the defensive towers' ranged fire can be pretty punishing.

IMO, it comes down to mainly the first point.  There are building options available, in the vanilla game, which add more & higher quality garrison troops.  IIRC, building those pushes the garrison size and quality up to that of castles.  Add much more and they'll be the size of a whole army, which doesn't make sense for a "garrison".

Edit:  As for raising garrisons causing the AI to be more adventurous, I don't think it's so cut & dried.  From what I've seen, the AI just runs it's armies back within support range of a garrison, or inside it, to get more troops into their battles against you.  They use them as an extra army, basically.  There needs to be some extra upkeep, or loss of income, for large garrisons since they're used as army reinforcements so often.  Maybe the building suits that purpose well enough.

PanzersEast

So I caved and picked this up on CDKeys.... to my shock, I think for me this is the best TW game in the series.  I find myself enjoying it more with each play.  I guess maybe I was burned out, or just felt samey formula, but this time around with the units etc... and Warhammer...  :bd:

Gusington

^A lot of reviews have been saying that. Without actually playing it yet it sounds like the TW formula for the Warhammer game(s) has been streamlined and trimmed of fat :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on December 11, 2016, 12:06:27 PM
^A lot of reviews have been saying that. Without actually playing it yet it sounds like the TW formula for the Warhammer game(s) has been streamlined and trimmed of fat :)

Plus it has a bit different feel, in some areas, than the same 'ole samey stuff.  The theme allowing some extra leeway here & there.

Jarhead0331

I have a great campaign going a the Empire and I'm on turn 108. I keep having a CTD during the AI turn. Any suggestions on how to avoid this. I just conquered Bretonnia after a very long and costly siege, so I really do not want to go back to a prior save.

Thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 11, 2016, 07:19:09 PM
I have a great campaign going a the Empire and I'm on turn 108. I keep having a CTD during the AI turn. Any suggestions on how to avoid this. I just conquered Bretonnia after a very long and costly siege, so I really do not want to go back to a prior save.

Thanks.

That happened to me. Sad to say I kept reloading saves from a few turns back until it worked. The auto save before the AI turn might be borked.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on December 11, 2016, 08:38:02 PM

Thanks.

That happened to me. Sad to say I kept reloading saves from a few turns back until it worked. The auto save before the AI turn might be borked.

My crashes with more recent Total War games, during the AI turn, were due to mods. 

Had one in TW Rome 2 last week.  Ended up being the '4 Turns Per Year' mod I was using.  Had to remove it, but since my campaign had been using it from the start, I had to restart.

Nefaro

Thanks.

Today's hotfix may have something to do with this CTD.

(my bold in patch notes)

HOTFIX PATCH NOTES
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur when continuing Campaign save games created on older patches.
- Increased the frequency of matched combat animations for Great Eagle units in Battle.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the Cloak of Isha Quest Battle to not have any trees in it.
- Sally out Battles for the Wood Elves will no longer load into Battle maps with mountainous/impassable terrain.
- Added missing Wood Elves playstyle icons for French and Spanish in the Front End for the Campaign.
- Updated the Italian and Korean localisation.

WOOD ELVES CAMPAIGN BALANCE PASS
- Reduced the colonisation cost for ruined settlements when playing as the Wood Elves in the Grand Campaign.
- Asrai Lookouts (Outposts) will now generate 50 income per turn.
- Adjusted the penalties when running at an Amber deficit:
> 0 to -10 Amber: Reduced rate of replenishment.
> -11 to -20 Amber: No replenishment, but do not suffer from attrition.
> -21 to -99 Amber: No replenishment and suffer attrition (no change from before).

WOOD ELVES BATTLE BALANCE PASS

(ETC ETC)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/364360/discussions/1/152391920351673019/

Was some mention of this update being "optional", but my client automatically downloaded it.  So maybe that's changed? 

EDIT:

Omg, another ~140MB Total War patch that takes an hour to download, unpack all 30-40GB of game files, patch, then repack them all again.  :knuppel2:

JasonPratt

^^ Yeah, my computer had to do that before dl'ing the new Deathwing game.  :pullhair:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

Fine, you bastards.  I'm adding this to my Steam wishlist.

BanzaiCat