Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Ya. Just stick with one plane.  Don't need to buy them all. I'm waiting for the F-16 to hit DCS. Recently I'm just concentrating on the simplified F-15.

Toonces

Well, I was going to edit my post but anyway....after watching some YouTube videos I think I'm going to go with my original plan and pick up F-14 and Nevada (and probably Persian Gulf).  After watching some DCS videos and then BMS, BMS is really starting to look rough.

I mean, I've always found BMS graphics to be serviceable, but it's not even in the same realm as DCS at this point.  I think DCS will fill that niche when I want to experiment with small scenarios, and Falcon is for when I want to fight that bigger war.  Kind of like Rise of Flight vs. WoFF.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

Yay for Toonces!
And you don't ever have to look back when the Viper module is released !
There's even a Dynamic Campaign system in development to make you BMS guys feel right at home, but thats a long while away still.

For pure bang for the buck you definately have a better deal with BMS though. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

I'd say the DCS Viper module is starting to come together nicely...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

I wouldn't buy the F-16 module give that you are a heavy user of Falcon 4.0.

This will only flush out all the differences in modeling these planes and you will feel bad about one or both of the games.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on July 01, 2019, 01:42:39 PM

This will only flush out all the differences in modeling these planes and you will feel bad about one or both of the games.

...or, one can still enjoy both for what they are worth. I would say there is a better chance of someone getting deep throated by nun than there is of me not buying the DCS Viper. Its going to happen.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 01, 2019, 01:46:04 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on July 01, 2019, 01:42:39 PM

...or, one can still enjoy both for what they are worth. I would say there is a better chance of someone getting deep throated by nun than there is of me not buying the DCS Viper. Its going to happen.

Well, obviously what I said applies more to Toonces than you :)

Toonces

What's funny is that for as much as I love Falcon 4, I really don't care for the F-16 at all.  I don't know why, it's just never appealed to me the way the F-14 or Phantom does.  In fact, up until BMS almost all of my stick time in Falcon (at least with Freefalcon) was in non-F-16 jets.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I doubt DCS F-16 will be a BMS killer.  Obviously until DCS releases its dynamic campaign all I can do is speculate, but Falcon has set an awfully high bar in that realm.  "Dynamic" can be interpreted a lot of ways. 

Regardless, there is room on my hard drive for both to exist happily.  It doesn't have to be an either/or proposition.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 01, 2019, 10:09:24 AM
I'd say the DCS Viper module is starting to come together nicely...

Are those in game screens ?  I had to do a double take and see if their in game or RL.

Viper will be great can't wait.

It'll probably end up being my go to plane for 80% of the time.

mikeck

I think at this point my whole reason for playing around with the Harrier and - shortly- the F-18, is so I can be ready for the F-16. Strikes me as a plane that is easy to fly, doesn't have a lot of complex gadgets but can launch or drop damn-near anything while flying any conceivable mission.  Maybe like a simpler F-18

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on July 02, 2019, 01:05:20 AM
Strikes me as a plane that is easy to fly, doesn't have a lot of complex gadgets but can launch or drop damn-near anything while flying any conceivable mission.  Maybe like a simpler F-18

You would be surprised...easy to fly, yes, since it has a fly by wire flcs. It's also reasonably simple to cold start, take off and land and even navigate, but otherwise there is a lot going on in the cockpit in terms of avionics and systems. although I'm not entirely certain about the block being modeled in DCS, the f16 has several advanced systems that are complex and will take effort to master,  most notably its vast radar and weapons systems, which are many and varied. A lot of different modes there to understand in order to fully utilize them to their potential. Like anything else, with time and focus it can be conquered, but it's much more complex than the Harrier. Experience with the f18 is definitely more relevant,  but the problem there is that several of its more advanced systems are yet to be implemented into DCS...still no targeting pod or ground radar!!!

If you want to get the jump on learning the systems. Try out BMS. It's free! All you need is a copy of falcon 4.

EDIT: One more thing I would like to add...the DCS F16 will be released in early access feature incomplete. If the other modules in DCS are anything to go by, the early access development period will span years. So it will be a long time before you have access to the full capability of the aircraft. BMS is much more fully featured out of the box. It is absolutely worth a look. I recently set it up with my functioning MFD displays...so, with DCS I now fly almost exclusively in VR. With BMS, I use trackIR with my MFDs up and running and they are both totally sick in different ways. I'm a happy flight simmer. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

I have such little time to game, I think I'd like to stick with DCS It's only to get used to all the mechanics and such. I'm in no rush to get the F-16 just something that I would definitely pick up.

There is no TPOD implemented for the F-18??
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on July 02, 2019, 03:49:33 PM

There is no TPOD implemented for the F-18??

Nope. It keeps getting pushed back to the great dismay and frustration of the community. You know the running joke...it'll be released in 2 weeks...

There is also no ground radar, which limits the use of several more advanced weapons systems.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

If you're interested in the A-4E mod, you may also want to check this one out...

DCS: MiG-23UB Flogger-C Mod

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=232050&page=28
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

Man DCS is really cranking out the goods.  I'm going to have to see if I can track this mod down, that looks fantastic.