Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Ugh...delayed into February at the earliest.

Looks so God damn amazing.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Tripoli on January 01, 2022, 06:54:54 PM
Heinemann's hot rod.  720 degrees roll/sec.    I'm getting so close to buying DCS just for this. However, DCS would take up almost all of what remains of my hard drive.  I may have to satisfy myself with my WOFF DH-3 a little longer :(   The good news is while I can't roll my DH-3 that fast, based on personal experience, it will spin that quickly ;D
Dude - a 480GB SSD will cost you £40 and a 1TB 3.5 SATA drive will cost you £35. Shit - I'll buy you one and send it to you just to get you into DCS!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 21, 2022, 01:39:41 PM

It does look good, but I'll be damned if I can fly helicopters in DCS. I can take off, whilst making a tour of the airfield by spinning around. I can hover - for a second. I can land - with a thud and lots and lots of spinning.

Doesn't stop me buying them though. I have them all. The only one I can take off half decently is the Shark due to the dual rotor.
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 22, 2022, 04:39:13 AM
It does look good, but I'll be damned if I can fly helicopters in DCS. I can take off, whilst making a tour of the airfield by spinning around. I can hover - for a second. I can land - with a thud and lots and lots of spinning.

Doesn't stop me buying them though. I have them all. The only one I can take off half decently is the Shark due to the dual rotor.

https://www.helisimmer.com/editorial/5-things-need-start-flying-helicopters

Most agree that you need pedals to fly a heli, plus helicopters in DCS are much harder to fly than planes.  The hardware most of us use just isn't optimal for controlling a helicopter (https://www.pro-flight-trainer.com/collections/control-full-sets/products/custompuma)

Create a mission with no enemies and practice until you feel confident.  Then create a mission with very few enemies.  You will still be shot down but now you might know why.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Pete Dero on January 22, 2022, 05:33:22 AM

https://www.helisimmer.com/editorial/5-things-need-start-flying-helicopters

Most agree that you need pedals to fly a heli, plus helicopters in DCS are much harder to fly than planes.  The hardware most of us use just isn't optimal for controlling a helicopter (https://www.pro-flight-trainer.com/collections/control-full-sets/products/custompuma)

Create a mission with no enemies and practice until you feel confident.  Then create a mission with very few enemies.  You will still be shot down but now you might know why.
I have Thrustmaster Flight Rudder Pedals and HOTAS Warthog - it's not the kit  ;D

It's just lack of practice
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 21, 2022, 01:39:41 PM

I'm in the same boat (errrr...helicopter?). In fact, in the dcs forums I posted that I don't understand why I'm disappointed over the delay...the reality is that once I have it, I will most likely not be able to get it off the ground and maintain any semblance of intentional controlled flight!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2022, 08:39:06 AM
...maintain any semblance of intentional controlled flight!
this
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 22, 2022, 09:45:55 AM
this

Did you get a chance to try out the Blackhawk mod yet? It's pretty impressive... Exterior and interior modeling is superb and fight model seems pretty good too. I can fly her around, but landings have been a bit... Rough.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2022, 10:57:19 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 22, 2022, 09:45:55 AM
this

Did you get a chance to try out the Blackhawk mod yet? It's pretty impressive... Exterior and interior modeling is suoerb and fight model seems pretty good too. I can fly her around, but landings have been a bit... Rough.
In truth, I don't get my money's worth from my paid purchases. I've sworn I wouldn't buy anymore after the Apache - then I saw they're working on a Phantom and an A6 - and a Falkands map/campaign?

I just don't have the time tbh
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 22, 2022, 11:24:59 AM

Ain't that the truth.  :clap:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Rekim

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2022, 11:36:37 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 22, 2022, 11:24:59 AM

Ain't that the truth.  :clap:

I'm starting to warm to the AH-64 thanks to the extra slick marketing/progress updates. It will be a beast to learn though.

The real problem with such complex avionics for me isn't learning the buttons and leavers so much as retaining that knowledge over time. These skills are highly perishable in my aging brain. So, really a long term time commitment to become proficient with the more complicated aircraft.

Redwolf

Every time I am convinced I won't buy more DCS aircraft until I actually use the ones I have.

Along comes the pricing mistake for the Mosquito and I have one more.

Resisting the Apache while it is 30% off will probably lead to crash and burn, too.

Skoop

You guys do realize you'll be sitting in the gunner seat for a significant amount of time right ?   Essentially you may never even fly it and just let the AI pilot fly you around while you blow stuff up.  Vice versa, if you prefer you could fly the whole time and let the AI gunner manage the weapons.  To me, the Apache seems more about weapons than helo flying.  I'm surprised more mouse and keyboard/ game pad simmers aren't devouring this module, cause you could essentially run the thing from the gunner seat and not need a hotas.  The multi crew will be epic though, I've already got a couple people lined up for my crew.

Toonces

^ That's good to hear about the Apache AI pilot.

I wish the F-14 module AI pilot would dogfight the jet.  I'd happily fly in the backseat with my mouse and keyboard while the AI did the driving.  My understanding is that the F-14 pilot can be given commands, but doesn't just fly the plane completely autonomously.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Skoop

Yeah a jet is a different animal.  The way the Apache fights from those stand-off positions with pop up attacks, it can be managed from the gunner seat.  You can test it now in the hind.