Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Mbar beat me to adding a compliment for the ejection seat.  :o

I'm impressed the floor in the lesser setup is still shiny enough to reflect the GTX taglight!

Also, is that a military-police grade flashlight standing next to your center speaker in the larger setup? -- to scare off and/or beat cats away?? (And check wiring connections.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mbar on August 25, 2022, 09:15:31 AM
@Jarhead0331 Wow! I've seen some awesome PC flight sim setups pictured, but that ejection seat! Magnificent!  :notworthy:

Thanks. It is probably one of the luckiest acquisitions I have ever come across. I think I found it on Offer Up. Some guy had bought it at an auction for his man cave because he thought it "looked cool". He actually had no idea what it was and didn't really think it was that comfortable. His wife hated it and made him give it up. i can't even begin to imagine what it is actually worth in the near mint condition that it is in, but I got it  for $250, plus another $200 to have it delivered. It is definitely the center piece of my entire office. It thrills visitors and guests without fail.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 25, 2022, 09:20:33 AM
Mbar beat me to adding a compliment for the ejection seat.  :o

I'm impressed the floor in the lesser setup is still shiny enough to reflect the GTX taglight!

I keep the space very clean. That rig is not even the one that the sim gear is running from. There is a much more powerful system located behind the desk that is not in the picture. I run both of them off the same monitors with a KVM switch.

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 25, 2022, 09:20:33 AM
Also, is that a military-police grade flashlight standing next to your center speaker in the larger setup? -- to scare off and/or beat cats away?? (And check wiring connections.)

Yes. It is an LED MagLight. We had a power outage a few weeks ago. I haven't managed to put it back in its place yet.

No cats anymore and the dog is not allowed downstairs. My three-year old is the only potential threat. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

^The only threat you'll ever really need.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

Yeah that is some sweet gear.  That f16 ufc looks like something worth getting.  Also what's the vr point device ?  And what's the shake it kit for the second set up, I'm assuming some kind of FFB ?  Is that monster tech mounts you used for your 1st set up ?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on August 25, 2022, 01:21:18 PM
Yeah that is some sweet gear.  That f16 ufc looks like something worth getting. 

Do you mean the F-18 UFC on the first station or the F-16 ICP on the second station? The F-18 UFC is by TekCreations and I would characterize the quality of the device as "hobbyist" and in some respects, that is being generous. The Sim Gears F-16 ICP is much higher quality. Winwing is coming out with its own F-18 UFC, which I will be getting upon release.

Also what's the vr point device ? 

See here: https://pointctrl.com/

It is a really smart device. Miles, the developer is a very interesting guy. He spent decades in US Army special forces until he was combat injured. After he retired, he started using VR for therapeutic reasons and got into simming. He really wanted a way to interact with the controls in the virtual world and so he developed the PointCTRL. He's been refining it over the last couple of years. The only problem is that he makes them himself and there is a really long wait list. It took literally a year and a half to get mine. Basically, you mount a sensor on the top of your headset and then you strap a device onto each of your index fingers. The device is detected by the sensor on the headset and tracks the motion of your hands. The finger pointers each have three buttons, two of which mimic the left and right buttons of a mouse. so you point, click and grab like you would with a mouse, but you're doing it with your hands as if you were interacting with the buttons, knobs and switches in the cockpit.

And what's the shake it kit for the second set up, I'm assuming some kind of FFB ? 

The shake kit refers to the additional attachment to the flight stick that contains two extra POV hats and the trigger guard. I've circled it on this picture. This can actually be removed from the stick.

Is that monster tech mounts you used for your 1st set up ?

Indeed, it is...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

Maaan the point control sounds epic, I'll have to look into that, I just use a left handed mouse for clicking cockpits now.  I took a hard look at the capto gloves a while back thinking that would be the mouse cockpit gadget to go with, but it seemed cumbersome having a Michael Jackson one glove hand.

The f16 icp was the one, that might make the christmas list. 

Toonces

You's guys's control setups are why I only fly biplanes anymore.   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on August 25, 2022, 03:12:11 PM
You's guys's control setups are why I only fly biplanes anymore.   ::)

I fly biplanes too. 

Ironically it's still my favorite way to fly. 

I almost exclusively use VR for WW1 if I can.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Skoop

Lol, the full real servers that remove your little gamey gps icon in the game map when your flying WWI or WWII aircraft make you crave for your modern aircraft back.  I've been totally lost in WWI and WWII servers and had to ditch before running out of fuel, which was an actual common occurrence in RL.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

What appears to be another very high-quality mod...

Bronco! Such a unique aircraft.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

That looks really well done. 

Jarhead0331

C-130J officially announced.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Ahhhhh...

The C-130 is relevant to my interests.