Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

True, as workload in the hornet can overwhelm a single pilot.  Just look how tough it can be to operate the man in the loop cruise missiles while flying a hornet, hence the later versions went to 2 seaters.  I still say the back seater in the F15E will be much easier to manage than the tomcat and because of that, you'll be able to recruit more back seaters.  I'll still fly the crap out of it on release though whether I have a WSO or not.  Will be interesting to see Razbam's implementation of WSO AI, as they are creating their own.  You'd think it'd be a why reinvent the wheel situation, but if they have a better take, then have at it. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on December 14, 2022, 03:16:37 PM
True, as workload in the hornet can overwhelm a single pilot.  Just look how tough it can be to operate the man in the loop cruise missiles while flying a hornet, hence the later versions went to 2 seaters.  I still say the back seater in the F15E will be much easier to manage than the tomcat and because of that, you'll be able to recruit more back seaters.  I'll still fly the crap out of it on release though whether I have a WSO or not.  Will be interesting to see Razbam's implementation of WSO AI, as they are creating their own.  You'd think it'd be a why reinvent the wheel situation, but if they have a better take, then have at it.

I'm with you man. I'll be flying the crap out of this one too. In fact, the majority of my flight time is really cold start, take-offs, navigation and landing. Sometimes i do some casual combat, but I really just love flying and enjoying the sights.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

I kinda hoped to use the F15E as an unofficial dogfighter because the F15C is such an old and low fidelity model in game. Turns out the fuel tanks cannot be jettisoned on the F15E and the weight of the two seat might make it slightly less capable.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Are the ED forums down?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2022, 06:33:22 AM
Are the ED forums down?

Yep, looks like it....all the site checking sites report it down so not a local thing

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 18, 2022, 06:42:37 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2022, 06:33:22 AM
Are the ED forums down?

Yep, looks like it....all the site checking sites report it down so not a local thing

Back up now..

mikeck

Quote from: Destraex on December 18, 2022, 06:31:55 AM
I kinda hoped to use the F15E as an unofficial dogfighter because the F15C is such an old and low fidelity model in game. Turns out the fuel tanks cannot be jettisoned on the F15E and the weight of the two seat might make it slightly less capable.

Well, to clarify: you can't remove the conformal fuel tanks. You can remove externals. The conformals don't add too much drag so the F-15E in an air to air configuration would be just as tough in AA as an F-15C. You'll be fine. I doubt the minimal drag from the conformals would cause much energy loss while turning- and let's face it- the F-15 loves to live in the BVR zone anyway. So fight away. After all, the F-15EX is intended to be an air to air platform primarily and it's just an upgraded F-15E (and I believe it always has conformals)
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Skoop

The conformals could be an edge as you could remain on afterburner longer and stay in The fight longer.  Once the F16 drops it's tanks and goes defensive on after burner, your pretty much making your way back to an air field or tanker, you won't have the fuel to turn back in. 

Skoop

Also, many of the smart munitions are linked to the mounts on the conformals so removing them is an absolute no go for usaf.  I think the Singapore version is the only one that can remove them.  It's the weight of the fuel, not the drag for conformals, so you could essentially take less fuel or dump all the fuel in the conformals if you were in some kind of air quake dogfight and needed the extra performance.  The F15EX looks like an absolute beast, upgraded AESA radar and ability to carry 20+ aim120s would be epic to have in dcs, but it might be too modern and classified.  We will get many different export versions of the F15E though.

Destraex

Quote from: mikeck on December 18, 2022, 02:52:25 PM
Quote from: Destraex on December 18, 2022, 06:31:55 AM

Well, to clarify: you can't remove the conformal fuel tanks. You can remove externals. The conformals don't add too much drag so the F-15E in an air to air configuration would be just as tough in AA as an F-15C. You'll be fine. I doubt the minimal drag from the conformals would cause much energy loss while turning- and let's face it- the F-15 loves to live in the BVR zone anyway. So fight away. After all, the F-15EX is intended to be an air to air platform primarily and it's just an upgraded F-15E (and I believe it always has conformals)
Thank you for that mikeck. Great clarification.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Redwolf

The modules are on Steam sale again, which is not special, but the Hind is 50% off, which I think is the first time.

Redwolf

Skoop

Also the F16 and F18 are 50% off.

SirAndrewD

I think I've finally reached the point where I can say I have enough DCS modules....

At least till the new Cold War birds release.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Some great in-game footage here.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog