Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

QuoteMore Iranian troops have arrived in Syria for an upcoming ground operation to accompany Russian airstrikes, defense officials confirm to Fox News.

"It has always been understood in this building that the Russians would provide the air force, and the Iranians would provide the ground force in Syria," one official said.

Another official tells Fox News, "The Iranians have always been on the ground [in Syria]." The officials could not disclose the size of this new Iranian force due to the sensitivity of the information.

source: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/10/01/cia-backed-rebels-civilians-reportedly-targeted-by-russian-airstrikes-in-syria/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on October 01, 2015, 09:50:36 AM
Conscripts?

The US occupied Iraq with ~120,000 highly professional soldiers and struggled.

150,000 conscripts are essentially cannon fodder. Putin truly is heartless. Or stupid. Or both.

Let's see, 20th of January 2017 is when the next president is sworn in.

Any bets as to whether Soviet Russia is still struggling to pacify Syria in 15 months?

That 150,000 doesn't mean much of anything. If recent history is any indication, half that number might actually show up and out of that maybe two-thirds will be fit for service. So they might get 50,000 or so out of the fall draft.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

Quote from: eyebiter on October 01, 2015, 09:25:44 AM

Russian airstrikes have begun, Putin drafting 150,000 conscripts and sending additional equipment to Syria

so they missed ISIS again?  ::)

LongBlade

Maybe Russian compasses work backwards.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on October 01, 2015, 01:06:25 PM
Maybe Russian compasses work backwards.

If they work at all.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

This will be a true party now that Iranians and Russians are fighting together.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

In Russia, ISIS bombings target you!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

OJsDad

didnt Obama critize Romney about Russia being a threat.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

undercovergeek

I'm assuming there's only usaaf and Russian planes in the sky?

It's going to be interesting if one shoots down the other?

mirth

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 01, 2015, 02:21:51 PM
I'm assuming there's only usaaf and Russian planes in the sky?

Nope. Saudi Arabia, UAE, France, Jordan. Just to name a few.

Gusington

UAE? Do they have like a zeppelin corps or somesuch?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on October 01, 2015, 02:58:08 PM
UAE? Do they have like a zeppelin corps or somesuch?

80 or so F-16s. Bunch of Mirage 2000s. To be honest, I'm not sure how active the Arab states currently are over Syria. I know several of them have flown missions against ISIS in the past year or so. And France just started flying missions against ISIS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/28/world/europe/france-says-it-has-struck-at-isis-in-syria.html

Airborne Rifles

Seems appropriate here.

Staggerwing

Yep. Seems about right.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Once again, Putin has stuck his thumb straight in the eye of POTUS.  By telling our air forces to stay out of the Russian's way while they bomb Mister Prezi's chosen allies.   ::)

I think the White House has chosen poorly in this whole conflict, and now their impotence and failure is being further mocked by Overlord Putinski & Iran.  Rubbing their nose in it.