Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

The Russians are impotent..Bluster is all they really have under the circumstances.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

What about their air defenses there?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

They exist at our pleasure. The Russians can't seriously play with us and they know it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

They seem to relish in the role of our foil, especially in the Mideast. And I ain't talkin' about that sweet relish on a hamburger, either.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I'm cool with letting them have Syria to dick around in. I'm just saying they can't go toe-to-toe with us.

Gusington

They don't need to. They're f*cking up everything outside of a direct conflict.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Whenever I see the faces of the kids that were gassed I see my own kids' faces. Breaks my heart.

I am in no way defending the Russians or their actions, but...

Right now, they are the only ones with a realistic strategy for ending the civil war in Syria (and along with it, the refugee crisis): back Assad to the hilt, since he's the only one of the factions marginally strong enough to win with assistance. It's brutal, inhumane, but it's also the only realistic way to end this conflict any time soon.

My guess is that they are almost as pissed at him about this gas attack as we are. Think about it from their perspective: Assad is winning, with their help. They won the Siege of Aleppo, they've got the rebels on the run and fighting each other everywhere, and then Assad's goons go and do this? Bring the Americans in against Assad with a vengeance? I'm not surprised they're trying to cover up the evidence (not justifying it all all, but no surprised either). They were on the verge of wrapping this thing up in their favor.

Staggerwing

How sure are we that Assad is actually still calling the shots? He could just be a figurehead by now, useful for focusing all the world's ire but disposable in the end, while some shadowy Iranian-backed Alawite players are moving the chess pieces. Maybe their Iranian benefactors have something to gain by making Russia look complicit in Assad's war crimes, linking the two and leaving Iran as the last man standing when Assad is forced from power..
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Well, that does bring up the question of whether Assad's forces really did the gassing? I mean, is he taking credit for it? Other than being a despotic murderer, what was his goal here?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

There's a lot of speculation that Assad and/or the Russians did not do it. To what end...who knows.

CNN reporting this morning that a Russian missle armed frigate is moving in to the Mediterranean as a show of force. CNN also reporting that Russian planes may have been destroyed in the latest bombardment.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on April 08, 2017, 11:47:01 AMCNN also reporting that Russian planes may have been destroyed in the latest bombardment.

Latest bombardment? You mean the new air attack back at the town hit by Sarin?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Gusington

No, our (US) missile attack. Some Russian equipment and planes may have also been destroyed. Not sure if they were targeted directly.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Gusington on April 08, 2017, 11:47:01 AM
There's a lot of speculation that Assad and/or the Russians did not do it. To what end...who knows.
Speculation by who?  RT?  The same people that don't think the Russians shot down MH17?

Quote from: Gusington on April 08, 2017, 11:47:01 AM
CNN reporting this morning that a Russian missle armed frigate is moving in to the Mediterranean as a show of force. CNN also reporting that Russian planes may have been destroyed in the latest bombardment.

That Russian frigate was on maneuvers w/ the Turks right before this happened and was already planned to head into the Med.  Whether or not the exact sked/route was changed is unknown, but it was already in the area.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

Speculation from talking heads on CNN and online. When you stop to think about it, it kind of makes sense too. Assad and the Russians pretty much had the war going their way. The White House even begrudingly accepted that Assad would remain the Syrian leader, publicly. So then the Syrians/Russiana launch a chemical attack? Makes no sense.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

The chem attack did occur while Syrian or Russian aircraft were bombing the town and considering that the nerve agents usually require mixing just before using it would be quite coincidental if someone else knew exactly where to pre-place a stockpile of just-mixed Sarin or the like.

If the gas attack wasn't planned by elements within the Assad gov't for their own reasons then the next likely reason is that some lower echelon commander ordered it because he was under extreme pressure to shore up his area of responsibility and decided to use any means available to preserve his own neck.