Has Murray lost his mojo?

Started by MetalDog, October 25, 2015, 09:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Bill Murray's new pic, Rock the Kasbah  has the distinction of being the fifth lowest opening of all time for a film released in over 2,000 theaters.  The upside?  Jem and the Holograms fared worse on more screens ;)

QuoteRock the Kasbah's $1.5 million is the fifth worst opening of all time for a film playing in more than 2,000 theaters, Box Office Mojo reports, behind Jem and the Holograms, which took in just $1.3 million. That's the worst opening ever for a film playing in more than 2,400 theaters.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/box-office-badly-did-jem-holograms-bomb-233100129.html
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

It might be awhile before I see it. The reviews are dreadful.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Huw the Poo

Alas, Bill Murray's presence isn't enough to guarantee a good film.  See: The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Life Aquatic.

mirth

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 26, 2015, 01:35:52 PM
Alas, Bill Murray's presence isn't enough to guarantee a good film.  See: The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Life Aquatic.

I quite enjoyed Life Aquatic. Haven't seen Grand Budapest yet. Admittedly, Wes Anderson's films are not for everybody.

My favorite Bill Murray films from the later part of his career are not Wes Anderson movies - Lost in Translation (Sofia Coppola) and Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch).
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

eyebiter

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on October 26, 2015, 01:47:47 PM

I quite enjoyed Life Aquatic.

Same, but with the caveat that I liked it much more the second time I watched it. 

Had to be in the right mood I suppose. 

The whole pirate bit was hilarious.  The cream, right there.  The rest of it was... okay.

mirth

^You definitely have to be in a certain frame of mind to watch and enjoy a Wes Anderson film.

Huw the Poo

My favorite Bill Murray films from the later part of his career are not Wes Anderson movies - Lost in Translation (Sofia Coppola) and Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch).

I absolutely love Lost in Translation, everything about it is fantastic.  I like to put it on when I'm ill and confined to the sofa, it makes me feel warm and snuggly. :)

mirth

^Scarlett Johansson has that effect on me too.

Silent Disapproval Robot

What about Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties?

mirth

Arctic Blast

I quite enjoyed Life Aquatic. Haven't seen Grand Budapest yet. Admittedly, Wes Anderson's films are not for everybody.

Grand Budapest was okay. It has some really great moments, but also a whole lot of filler.

Also, they made a Jem movie?! What in the Hell?!

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on October 26, 2015, 10:31:05 AM
It might be awhile before I see it. The reviews are dreadful.

Very "meh".  So much potential squandered.
Any time is a good time for pie.