Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Irish that coffee up a bit, bbmike...

Barthheart

Maybe with a ground up Valium as well....

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 25, 2017, 02:26:55 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 21, 2017, 04:36:35 PM
Trek showrunner essentially confirms that the new Klingons are meant to reflect Trump supporters, and that their cultural split represents the electoral divide of the US 2016 election.
People read way too much into things.

People like the showrunner.  ::) He should stop spoiling things for people on the show he's running.  :arr:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

I'm not sure you can spoil something this crappy.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, here's a more positive review from MovieBob (who thinks the only irritating thing is that it's being used to get people to sign up for a service).

And yes, he equivocates the Klingon "religious fundamentalists" with both Republicans and ISIS. (Bonus points for delivering "Make Qo'nos great again" in Klingonese.) Which he thinks is just GREAT!  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

I've only watched about 20 minutes and I'm in agreement with some of the things bbmike said. A little bit of exposition would go a long way to explain some of the WTF decisions they make.

That said, the visuals are kind of appealing - I like the bridge viewscreen's width and that it looks like it's on the bottom (really? Okay, why not...shrug). The uniforms look like something stage actors would wear in a Star Trek musical in Las Vegas, though.

BanzaiCat

So the whole time I'm watching this, it feels like it's a prequel. Sort of like the first JJ ST movie, introducing the Kelvin. The Shenzhou (or whatever it is) feels like a prequel ship too. I thought the name of the starship was Discovery?

Had to go looking to see what's up with that: I'm sure there's spoilers, here.

https://moviepilot.com/p/star-trek-discovery-leaks-uss-shenzhou-is-the-discovery/4226361

edit: just finished the first episode. Unless I read talk here of it really amping up, I'm not going to bother. None of the characters, except one, are interesting (the alien guy on the bridge is fairly interesting/has decent lines, but the captain and first officer are not at all engaging). The Klingons are somewhat interesting; I admit I kind of like how they appear more alien. But the positives in my mind aren't nearly enough to outweigh the relative meh-ness of this first episode.

WallysWorld

"Pending adjustment due to NFL and thus 60 Minutes overrun, Star Trek: Discovery's special linear CBS showcase on Sunday night drew 8.2 million total viewers and a 1.6 demo rating in fast nationals."
http://tvline.com/2017/09/25/star-trek-discovery-ratings-season-1-premiere-cbs/

I watched both episodes on Space and thought it was okay. Enough to keep me watching the next episode, but I can't say I like it any better than The Orville.

The science officer is the best character. And interesting to note that Nicholas Meyer co-wrote (with Bryan Fuller) the second episode "Battle at the Binary Stars".
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

SirAndrewD

Quote from: bbmike on September 25, 2017, 05:36:18 AM

The delta shield was specific to the TOS USS Enterprise. Each starship had a different insignia. Now it's everywhere, even in the past.

I'll give them this one.  Robert Justman, the original keeper of Trek continuity in TOS, always intended for the arrowhead insignia to be the starfleet insignia.  However, for the episode Charlie X, he wanted the crew of the Antares to have a different symbol because they weren't Starfleet, they were Merchant Marine. 

Unfortunately, the costume designers missed Justman's intent and started making different insignia for different starships and starbases.  Justman sent out another memo in December of '67 trying to get William Theiss and the art department on board, but they just kept on going.  At this point Justman told Roddenberry that he "couldn't put the shit back in the horse" and they just let it go. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

TO: Bill Theiss
SUBJECT: STARSHIP EMBLEMS
DATE: December 18, 1967
Whilst sitting in Dailies today, it was noticed that a Starship Captain (from another Starship) was wearing an emblem unfamiliar to yours truly. I have checked the occurences out with Mr. Roddenberry, who has reassured me that all Starship personnel wear the Starship emblem that we have established for our Enterprise Crew Members to wear.
Doubtless this situation has arisen due to the fact that a different Starship emblem was used last season on "CHARLIE X". However, the personnel of that other ship in that show were the equivalent of merchant marine or freighter personnel -- and therefore not entitled to bear this proud insignia on their individual and collective breasts.
Please do not do anything to correct this understandable mistake in the present episode. However, should we have Starfleet personnel in any other episodes, please make certain that they were the proper emblem.
Under penalty of death!
Signed this 18th day of December, in the year of our Lord, 1967, by
ROBERT H. JUSTMAN
Chief Inquisitor
CC: Gene Roddenberry John M. Lucas
D.C. Fontana
Gregg Peters
RHJ:sts
P.S. A carven "I'm sorry!" will be sufficient.
R.H.J.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

SirAndrewD

^ Yep, that was the memo.   If a canon explanation is needed, I can roll with the idea that around the first season of TOS, Starfleet experimented with assignment patches, and the Enterprise just drew the lottery of keeping the original arrowhead.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

I'm not going to lose sleep over the emblem question. Retconning the lead as Spock's adopted sister is far more ridiculous.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on September 25, 2017, 01:51:33 PM
I'm not going to lose sleep over the emblem question. Retconning the lead as Spock's adopted sister is far more ridiculous.

Agreed. 

My biggest hangup is still the Klingons.   As much as I disliked Enterprise, and I honestly didn't feel the Klingons belonged in that series at all, it did go to great lengths to explain how and why the Klingons looked as they did. 

This to me would be like them showing the Vulcans with horns and purple skin.

bbmike

More on the insignia here. Note that Enterprise keep the different insignia idea. Yeah it's minor but I prefer the different insignias approach. I've come to accept the way it is but I'll still complain about it. I don't want to lose my nerd credentials.  ^-^
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak