Amazing story of the air war in europe

Started by Con, December 09, 2012, 03:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

That's the second story like that I've heard.

Was watching one of those shows on the Military Channel and there was a P-47 pilot who got the crap shot out of him by a German plane. Ultimately the German pulled up along side and saluted the guy before disengaging.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Interesting stories. Thanks for bring them to our attention.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Longdan

Thanks that is indeed unusual.  Too bad they couldn't have
killed the people involved in Redtails before it came out.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Staggerwing

That's kinda harsh, man. Some of those folk were only there to keep the craft service tables stocked or drive the little golf cart taxis around the Movie lot.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Steelgrave

That's a great story. How awesome that they both survived and lived to a ripe old age. A deacon I served with was a WWII vet. He had been a tail gunner on a B-17. The aircraft went down over Germany on his very first combat mission and he spent two years in a German POW camp. It wasn't anything he would talk about. Thanks for sharing, Con.

LongBlade

Quote from: Steelgrave on December 09, 2012, 05:19:34 PM
That's a great story. How awesome that they both survived and lived to a ripe old age. A deacon I served with was a WWII vet. He had been a tail gunner on a B-17. The aircraft went down over Germany on his very first combat mission and he spent two years in a German POW camp. It wasn't anything he would talk about. Thanks for sharing, Con.

That's the thing that makes this so much fun for me - the appreciation of history and the wealth of knowledge our community has. It's great when we share.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Longdan

digni enim sunt interdicunt

Staggerwing

besilarius

Think I recall a story about a P47 that was being shot up by a Focke-Wolf, but the 47 just wouldn't go down.  The german pilot pulled alongside, saluted, and left.
Not positive, but the pilot may have been Don Gentile or Duane Beeson.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Jack Nastyface

Franz Stigler lived in White Rock, BC (on the outskirts of Vancouver) until his death a couple of years ago.  Every Sunday morning he would gather with a bunch of other pilots at the cafe at the Boundary Bay airport (about 10 minute drive from my house) for morning-long bull sessions.  IIRC, Stigler later flew 262's towards the end of the war and was damaged by another local resident / veteran who also sometimes breakfasted at the  airport.  Said sessions were also attended by a RAF pilot who flew hundreds of missions as a photo recce pilot in a spitfire - no guns, just speed - but who still managed to score 1 maneouver kill vs an Italian fighter.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Gusington

Great story. Were instances of German pilots shooting at parachutes, etc., more common than we would like to believe?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on December 11, 2012, 05:37:51 PMSaid sessions were also attended by a RAF pilot who flew hundreds of missions as a photo recce pilot in a spitfire - no guns, just speed - but who still managed to score 1 maneouver kill vs an Italian fighter.

How jacked up do you have to be to get shot down by a guy with no guns on-board?  What did the RAF guy do, fart on him?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers