West Texas Fertilizer Plant Explosion

Started by JasonPratt, April 18, 2013, 07:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Centurion40 on April 19, 2013, 07:47:38 AM
Still, that should not be ignored... especially if there are indications of arson.

Especially since this is the same area (near Waco).

Not that we should prejudge before expert investigations. But a factory with safety problems, while perfectly sufficient as an explanation in itself, is also more handy as a target.

Having said that, if this was intended as a response to the Branch Davidian assault, the perps would be trying to take credit for it in order to draw the link explicitly, I would think.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Centurion40

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 19, 2013, 10:09:26 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on April 19, 2013, 07:47:38 AM
Still, that should not be ignored... especially if there are indications of arson.

Especially since this is the same area (near Waco).

Not that we should prejudge before expert investigations. But a factory with safety problems, while perfectly sufficient as an explanation in itself, is also more handy as a target.

My thinking exactly.

That said, odds are its purely a tragic accident.
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 19, 2013, 10:09:26 AM
Having said that, if this was intended as a response to the Branch Davidian assault, the perps would be trying to take credit for it in order to draw the link explicitly, I would think.

I was under the impression that they were all extinct.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

steve58

Damn, 12 bodies recovered, but 60 people still unaccounted for.  Terrible tragedy...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

It is terrible. Not a surprise the toll will rise. That was a big explosion.

JasonPratt

Mom has been scoping out photos of the destruction and says that "leveled" really does describe a lot of it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Arctic Blast

Looks like this plant hadn't even been inspected since 1985.

QuoteThe Occupational Safety and Health Administration most recently inspected the Texas fertilizer plant that exploded Wednesday night in 1985.

Records reviewed by The Associated Press show that OSHA issued the West Chemical & Fertilizer Co., as the plant was called at the time, a $30 fine for a serious violation for storage of anhydrous ammonia.

OSHA cited the plant for four other serious violations of respiratory protection standards but did not issue fines. The maximum fine for a serious violation was $1,000.

It is not unusual for companies to negotiate lower fines.

The explosion near Waco, Texas, killed as many as 15 and injured more than 160 others.

OSHA has jurisdiction over more than 7 million workplaces. It's not uncommon for some companies to go years without inspection.

son_of_montfort

This is a really terrible tragedy. Before we had more info out of Boston, I worried they were connected as Domestic terrorism (tax day, patriot's day, OK bombing anniversary). But is seems that is was more an industrial accident (possibly from a lack of rigorous inspections).

The poor town looks almost gone. I really feel for those people in West, Texas and I wish them the best.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Mr. Bigglesworth

Texas fertilizer company didn't heed disclosure rules before blast

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/20/us-usa-explosion-regulation-idUSBRE93J09N20130420

The second issue in the article is that the stuff they did do was not followed up on.

"A separate EPA program, known as Tier II, requires reporting of ammonium nitrate and other hazardous chemicals stored above certain quantities. Tier II reports are submitted to local fire departments and emergency planning and response groups to help them plan for and respond to chemical disasters. In Texas, the reports are collected by the Department of State Health Services. Over the last seven years, according to reports West Fertilizer filed, 2012 was the only time the company stored ammonium nitrate at the facility.It reported having 270 tons on site."That's just a god awful amount of ammonium nitrate," said Bryan Haywood, the owner of a hazardous chemical consulting firm in Milford, Ohio. "If they were doing that, I would hope they would have gotten outside help."In response to a request from Reuters, Haywood, who has been a safety engineer for 17 years, reviewed West Fertilizer's Tier II sheets from the last six years. He said he found several items that should have triggered the attention of local emergency planning authorities - most notably the sudden appearance of a large amount of ammonium nitrate in 2012."As a former HAZMAT coordinator, that would have been a red flag for me," said Haywood, referring to hazardous materials."

This seems to me the same issue as the financial meltdown from Greenspan. He simply did not believe in regulatory oversight even though he took the job to do it. He was in fact a spoiler.  Whoever these guys dealt with also seem to have a total free market bias.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Windigo

don't need no gub'mint to pass no regulations... regulations are communist, unfettered capitalism is the answer to everything

NOT!!!!

rhetoric from the right and left is just that, it protects no one
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on April 22, 2013, 04:06:08 PM
don't need no gub'mint to pass no regulations... regulations are communist, unfettered capitalism is the answer to everything

NOT!!!!

rhetoric from the right and left is just that, it protects no one

Strawman much?

Windigo

had to backtrack from the initial statement and my typical poke at the far right ....

I thought my last comment was kinda stating the obvious....

like "middle-aged men should avoid eating chilie without having an exit strategy"
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Martok

<snicker> 

Truer words were never spoken.  ;) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces